Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Need help with airspace authorization!

zander lane

Reaction score
...hello there! - was wondering if someone might be kind enough to walk me through my first encounter with an assignment near an airport? - I have consulted the sectional for the airport in Santa Ynez, CA (KIZA) and it is a non-towered airport without any circles indicating B, C or D class space, but I am assuming I still need to request an airspace authorization as it is only a mile from the proposed mission site and is rated as busy - I am further assuming I would need to go to the FAA online portal to do this, but would love to get some guidance from someone who has actually been through the process and can provide real-world advice so I don't screw it up! - thanks to any and all!sectional for KIZA.jpg

...hello there! - was wondering if someone might be kind enough to walk me through my first encounter with an assignment near an airport? - I have consulted the sectional for the airport in Santa Ynez, CA (KIZA) and it is a non-towered airport without any circles indicating B, C or D class space, but I am assuming I still need to request an airspace authorization as it is only a mile from the proposed mission site and is rated as busy - I am further assuming I would need to go to the FAA online portal to do this, but would love to get some guidance from someone who has actually been through the process and can provide real-world advice so I don't screw it up! - thanks to any and all!View attachment 143

Looks to be in "G" airspace which you are clear up to 700" AGL and you shouldn't be over 400" AGL, so you are good to go. Just heed to any manned aircraft.

...that sounds too good to be true! - I could have sworn that while flying 107 anything outside of class G needed an airspace authorization (...and IZA is a class E airport with a five-mile NFZ circle, no?) - any 'splaining greatly appreciated!

This location from the surface to 700 AGL is class G according to the sectional.
Stay below 400 ft watch for and stay far away from other aircraft and you should be good to go.

Side note. If you had to go get an airspace authorization/waiver. Yes you apply on line but it can take several months to go through.
You should learn how to file it's not hard and file for a Broad Area Airspace Waiver for any of the airspace in your area you might need to fly in.

Start waiver applications process here: Request a Part 107 Waiver or Operation in Controlled Airspace

Mike

Reactions: BigAl07
You could fix that by coming to SnF. I will buy you breakfast at the Radio Station...

I've made the trip a few times and LOVE it. Unfortunately due to some family illness issues I won't be attending anything out of state for a good while.

Thank you SO much for the offer. If something changes I'll def give you a head's up my friend.

Reactions: Mike Flys
I've made the trip a few times and LOVE it. Unfortunately due to some family illness issues I won't be attending anything out of state for a good while.

Thank you SO much for the offer. If something changes I'll def give you a head's up my friend.

I'm sorry to hear about your family illness.
Thoughts and prayers with you and your family.

Mike

Reactions: BigAl07

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM