Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Need some training advice.

R.Perry

Reaction score
I live in a remote area and teach once in a while at the high school. I've been asked about teaching a 107 class and have decided I will. What I'm asking for is advice, training aids, and ideas. I have all the course material that I received at Avion, I just don't know if they would allow me to make multiple copies for the class. So if any of you that teach the subject have material that you would be willing to donate or offer at a reasonable price I would greatly appreciate it. Looks like I will have about eight to ten students. I will be using my drones for training because the school just doesn't have the budget to buy one.
One thing about California schools in remote areas, they are really need a lot of help. Fortunately they never asked me to teach English.

It is doubtful that Avion would allow you to make copies of their materials for your course and potentially take business away from them. However, there may be resource materials you could download and use for your small course from the FAA. Maybe run through the FAA YouTube PowerPoint presentations about the Regs. Sounds like a fun endeavor. Good luck with it, R.Perry.

Reactions: R.Perry
Your right, Avion wasn't too receptive to the idea. My last project was UC Merced and they have a course for the 107 certification and they gave me everything I need plus some.

Reactions: MapMaker53
I'm currently teaching a 107 high school course. UAVCoach donated their online "Drone Pilot Ground School" (DPGS) to my students, meaning each student got a free log in to their course. They also offer scholarships to individual students. My contacts there are Alan Perlman and Mike McGuirt. The DPGS website is: FAA Drone Certification Test Prep | Drone Pilot Ground School

I heard about this from a nearby school. Here's an article about them: Meet the First High School Class to Take the Part 107 Test As a Group

King Schools has free online practice questions here: Free FAA Drone Pilot Test by King Schools

Mine is a one semester course that meets ~5 hours per week, and so we have way more time than needed for exam prep; I think the DPGS videos add up to ~20 hours. I include coding autonomous flight, photo/videoography, and basic flight skills. This is my first time teaching it.

Gentlemen:
I would like to recommend an excellent and very inexpensive study guide for anyone wanting to prepare for the Part 107 exam. It is the ASA Remote Pilot Test Prep 2020. On Amazon it costs only $17.96 and includes the printed FAA Airman Knowledge Testing Supplement (the same one that is used at the testing locations.)

Included are instructional text and illustrations, questions, answer stems, correct answers, explanations and references for further study. When you're done studying, you can then take up to five practice tests with ASA's online simulated testing program at no additional cost (codes are provided to enter at the ASA practice-test website).

This is an absolute bargain for what you get. It would make an ideal textbook to accompany instructor-led classes.

Link: Remote Pilot Test Prep 2020: Study & Prepare: Pass your test and know what is essential to safely operate an unmanned aircraft from the most trusted source in aviation training (Test Prep Series): ASA Test Prep Board: 9781619547964: Amazon.com: Books

I live in a remote area and teach once in a while at the high school. I've been asked about teaching a 107 class and have decided I will. What I'm asking for is advice, training aids, and ideas. I have all the course material that I received at Avion, I just don't know if they would allow me to make multiple copies for the class. So if any of you that teach the subject have material that you would be willing to donate or offer at a reasonable price I would greatly appreciate it. Looks like I will have about eight to ten students. I will be using my drones for training because the school just doesn't have the budget to buy one.
One thing about California schools in remote areas, they are really need a lot of help. Fortunately they never asked me to teach English.
A noble intent. 3DR's suggestions are still available here. It may be simpler to avoid using printed materials from any source other than the FAA or some non-commercial source that offers permission.
I recently donated boxes of DIY stuff and two functional, modified 3DR Solos to our local high school. The Science teacher was thrilled, although it may be a while before anyone touches and uses...

Have you reached out to other training sites...Drone U maybe a possibility...

R. Perry
Thanks for contributing to the future of UAV operations. Perhaps you could set up a Go Fund Me type link. I would be happy to contribute $20 to help a kid learn a possible new occupation. If that too daunting PM me and we can figure a way for you to receive the money. You have been very generous with you knowledge and experience on this site and I would like to help you with this project.
Regards
Gary

R. Perry
Thanks for contributing to the future of UAV operations. Perhaps you could set up a Go Fund Me type link. I would be happy to contribute $20 to help a kid learn a possible new occupation. If that too daunting PM me and we can figure a way for you to receive the money. You have been very generous with you knowledge and experience on this site and I would like to help you with this project.
Regards
Gary

Hey, that's really nice of you, but not necessary. The education in rural areas does suffer, but thanks to the internet it is improving. Since our stupid governor shut everything down again here, it is back to on-line learning. So the drone classes are on hold for the time being, at least the flying portion. I have nine high school seniors that want to study for their 107. Thanks to UC Merced I have all the training material I need including books for each of the kids.

This pandemic I believe has really hurt the educational system everywhere, on line learning is ok, but it just isn't as good as classroom, and one on one teaching.

I'm currently teaching a 107 high school course. UAVCoach donated their online "Drone Pilot Ground School" (DPGS) to my students, meaning each student got a free log in to their course. They also offer scholarships to individual students. My contacts there are Alan Perlman and Mike McGuirt. The DPGS website is: FAA Drone Certification Test Prep | Drone Pilot Ground School

I heard about this from a nearby school. Here's an article about them: Meet the First High School Class to Take the Part 107 Test As a Group

King Schools has free online practice questions here: Free FAA Drone Pilot Test by King Schools

Mine is a one semester course that meets ~5 hours per week, and so we have way more time than needed for exam prep; I think the DPGS videos add up to ~20 hours. I include coding autonomous flight, photo/videoography, and basic flight skills. This is my first time teaching it.
Since this is your first time, how many students did you have? How well did they do? Let's face it, photography and video is all part of drone operations. So I would also like to encourage them to take some basic photography, video, and editing classes. Also an introduction t mapping. Personally I would care more about making sure they are proficient controlling the drone than having them focus on autonomous flights. I do understand that automation is the wave of the future.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeremy