Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

New MA2 pilot seeking input as I transition to professional drone pilot.

PITTMAV69

Reaction score
Hello all. I recently joined this forum as a noob MA2 Pilot and I will soon take the 107 test for my commercial UAV Pilots license. Here's a little bit about why I joined as I'm eager to learn as much as possible early on.
I'm a professional Lighting Designer in the Live Events and Concert Touring Industry. Due to Covid-19; my Industry has been totally decimated as we can no longer have large gatherings in a live music setting and my clients who regularly tour nationally have all suspended touring operations indefinitely.
I've decided to pivot and have a go at the professional drone pilots industry. As I have been gathering my own clients in the Live Events Industry for the past 30 years; I figured I'd use the same basic formula with Drone Tech. My plan is to use the many skills I have accumulated as a Pro Lighting guy; Special FX Tech; Stage Tech and Live Production Electrician; to fly drones for the purpose of Corporate; Industrial and Entertainment (wherever there can be any); in the areas of Aerial Photography and video as well as site surveys; Security; Exploration; Search and Rescue and Science.
I started with an MA2 so I would have at least the minimum requirements for pro work until I can afford to add other AC's like the Mavic 2 Pro; Enterprise Dual and Inspire 2. As such; I've been in a deep dive on everything drone related that I could find for the last month or so. I would gladly accept any and all advice; tips and tricks of the trade and networking opportunities that any of you could offer.
I'm really glad to be here and I wish you all safe flying and better days ahead. Thank you in advance.
Kyle.
P. S. If anyone here is close to the North Hills in Pittsburgh, PA. (I live in Wexford); Feel free to PM me. Maybe we can get together to fly; network and regale the days when we were young; and being a pirate seemed the grandest of all professions.
Mahalo.

Reactions: dgnfly
Welcome to the forums - a lot of good info here. So, take a look around and hope you enjoy some of the fine photography and information posted by the members.

Also, if you haven't done so yet, consider getting the AirMap and KittyHawk apps. I also suggest this Visualize it: See FAA UAS Data on a Map

Reactions: PITTMAV69
Welcome to the forums - a lot of good info here. So, take a look around and hope you enjoy some of the fine photography and information posted by the members.

Also, if you haven't done so yet, consider getting the AirMap and KittyHawk apps. I also suggest this Visualize it: See FAA UAS Data on a Map
Thanks Mavic. I just got home and downloaded the Kittyhawk and AirMap apps and bookmarked Visualize it in my browser. I also found an app from the FAA called B4UFLY. I haven't opened it yet but I'm wondering if it's the app version of Visualize it.
Thanks again.
Kyle

Welcome to CDP .
Look around and find what your interest is and let it rip . Have any question's feel free to ask any staff
in a message concerning the forum and glad you have joined .
Also if your not a member you might like our other forum also.
DJI Mavic Drone Forum We have 15 all together.
Enjoy and be safe .
0rojyyg-png.363

Welcome to CDP .
Look around and find what your interest is and let it rip . Have any question's feel free to ask any staff
in a message concerning the forum and glad you have joined .
Also if your not a member you might like our other forum also.
DJI Mavic Drone Forum We have 15 all together.
Enjoy and be safe .
0rojyyg-png.363
Thanks; and Yes; I'm already a member at Mavic Pilots Forum. They have been very helpful as well and I was actually referred here by one of their members. I'm looking forward to checking out the info here. I am still studying for my 107 and I already own an MA2 Fly More Combo so I'm planning on Scheduling my test before the end of the month; if possible.
Kyle

Reactions: dirkclod
Hello all. I recently joined this forum as a noob MA2 Pilot and I will soon take the 107 test for my commercial UAV Pilots license. Here's a little bit about why I joined as I'm eager to learn as much as possible early on.
I'm a professional Lighting Designer in the Live Events and Concert Touring Industry. Due to Covid-19; my Industry has been totally decimated as we can no longer have large gatherings in a live music setting and my clients who regularly tour nationally have all suspended touring operations indefinitely.
I've decided to pivot and have a go at the professional drone pilots industry. As I have been gathering my own clients in the Live Events Industry for the past 30 years; I figured I'd use the same basic formula with Drone Tech. My plan is to use the many skills I have accumulated as a Pro Lighting guy; Special FX Tech; Stage Tech and Live Production Electrician; to fly drones for the purpose of Corporate; Industrial and Entertainment (wherever there can be any); in the areas of Aerial Photography and video as well as site surveys; Security; Exploration; Search and Rescue and Science.
I started with an MA2 so I would have at least the minimum requirements for pro work until I can afford to add other AC's like the Mavic 2 Pro; Enterprise Dual and Inspire 2. As such; I've been in a deep dive on everything drone related that I could find for the last month or so. I would gladly accept any and all advice; tips and tricks of the trade and networking opportunities that any of you could offer.
I'm really glad to be here and I wish you all safe flying and better days ahead. Thank you in advance.
Kyle.
P. S. If anyone here is close to the North Hills in Pittsburgh, PA. (I live in Wexford); Feel free to PM me. Maybe we can get together to fly; network and regale the days when we were young; and being a pirate seemed the grandest of all professions.
Mahalo.
Well I don’t wanna really discourage you but be aware the market is flooded with 107 Pilots.
As far as I know there aren’t very many companies that just hire a drone pilot it’s pretty much a Free for all contracting.

I know in my area I could not make a living at it.
Thing is it really takes very little to become a drone pilot with a drone. Drones are not very expensive and it’s pretty easy to get your 107.

The schools offering 107 licenses have kind of over sold the job prospects. Plus things have changed recently meaning so many people have gotten into it.

Thanks Everyone for the input. Please; keep it coming; both the good and the bad. As far as there being too many 107 pilots and the business being mainly contract; self-employed; I'll just say this. When I was starting out as a pro stagehand in Pittsburgh; my family and friends had similar things to say. When they found out that I wanted to work in the Rock-n-Roll business; I was told that there was no way I would ever succeed; that it was a "pipe dream" and that Pittsburgh couldn't possibly have anything to offer for someone wanting to work in show business. I just kept my sights set on my goal; set my mind to the task and went to work learning and "kicking down doors"; so to speak. Until Covid-19 brought our industry to a screeching halt; I have flourished in the business of Live Event Production and National Concert Touring for 30 years. I taught myself the tech behind stagecraft; Lighting Design; Show Electrics and many other aspects of Live Production. I learned from the people who were already doing the job; I listened and watched and paid attention to what not to do. I learned quite a few lessons "the hard way" but I picked myself up out of the dirt and kept moving forward. I became immersed in their world; and refused to give up. Looking back all these years later; I wouldn't trade those experiences for anything.
I don't know yet how many licensed 107 pilots are operating in the Pittsburgh area and to be honest; I don't look at that as an issue. I know my own capabilities and I know how to put myself out in the mix with the best of them. I'll watch; learn and listen. I'll fly my drone and practice; a lot; every opportunity that I have. I'll learn how to be great at it in the same way that I taught myself lighting. If I can learn how to operate and program the most sophisticated lighting consoles on the market today; and there are many; I can learn how to talk to the different types of UAS's I'll need to use in the different environments where I will have to operate.
When I started; the only school available around here was the Art Institute and I can tell you from firsthand experience that the local lighting and Audio shops were harsh to anyone who said they went there. As a matter of fact; I personally witnessed many applications being tossed directly into the trash when the shop managers saw Art Institute or Full Sail listed in the education section. They; and I; learned the craft by slugging it out in the clubs and street festivals that eventually led to full scale arena and NFL stadium tours.
I'll find the work and I'll put in the time and in the meanwhile; I will welcome the feedback. All of it; good and bad. Thank you all again. I'll see you on the field; and in the air.
#NeverOutOfTheFight
-Kyle

Thanks Everyone for the input. Please; keep it coming; both the good and the bad. As far as there being too many 107 pilots and the business being mainly contract; self-employed; I'll just say this. When I was starting out as a pro stagehand in Pittsburgh; my family and friends had similar things to say. When they found out that I wanted to work in the Rock-n-Roll business; I was told that there was no way I would ever succeed; that it was a "pipe dream" and that Pittsburgh couldn't possibly have anything to offer for someone wanting to work in show business. I just kept my sights set on my goal; set my mind to the task and went to work learning and "kicking down doors"; so to speak. Until Covid-19 brought our industry to a screeching halt; I have flourished in the business of Live Event Production and National Concert Touring for 30 years. I taught myself the tech behind stagecraft; Lighting Design; Show Electrics and many other aspects of Live Production. I learned from the people who were already doing the job; I listened and watched and paid attention to what not to do. I learned quite a few lessons "the hard way" but I picked myself up out of the dirt and kept moving forward. I became immersed in their world; and refused to give up. Looking back all these years later; I wouldn't trade those experiences for anything.
I don't know yet how many licensed 107 pilots are operating in the Pittsburgh area and to be honest; I don't look at that as an issue. I know my own capabilities and I know how to put myself out in the mix with the best of them. I'll watch; learn and listen. I'll fly my drone and practice; a lot; every opportunity that I have. I'll learn how to be great at it in the same way that I taught myself lighting. If I can learn how to operate and program the most sophisticated lighting consoles on the market today; and there are many; I can learn how to talk to the different types of UAS's I'll need to use in the different environments where I will have to operate.
When I started; the only school available around here was the Art Institute and I can tell you from firsthand experience that the local lighting and Audio shops were harsh to anyone who said they went there. As a matter of fact; I personally witnessed many applications being tossed directly into the trash when the shop managers saw Art Institute or Full Sail listed in the education section. They; and I; learned the craft by slugging it out in the clubs and street festivals that eventually led to full scale arena and NFL stadium tours.
I'll find the work and I'll put in the time and in the meanwhile; I will welcome the feedback. All of it; good and bad. Thank you all again. I'll see you on the field; and in the air.
#NeverOutOfTheFight
-Kyle
The reason it is an issue is it becomes a race to the bottom as far a pricing goes.
When you get your 107 jump on droners.io and you will see what I mean.
A job with a 150.00 budget goes for 80.00 because too many low ballers.

Last edited:
The reason it is an issue is it becomes a race to the bottom as far a pricing goes.
When you get your 107 jump on droners.io and you will see what I mean.
A job with a 150.00 budget goes for 80.00 because too many low ballers.
I know what you mean. We have the same type of issue when we bid jobs for city; county and state work in the Live Event Business. The corporate end almost always goes with the low number; regardless of the quality of work; because curbing expenses is part of the traditional business model. The other reason; and I'm assuming it's the same in the drone world; is that most of the bean counters have absolutely no concept of what our job actually entails; much less the expense involved in doing top end work. I know several guys with over 20+ years of experience who were bumped off of touring positions by some wet behind the ears kid with a lighting console bought with trust fund money; because they were willing to work for peanuts; just to get the job.

I know what you mean. We have the same type of issue when we bid jobs for city; county and state work in the Live Event Business. The corporate end almost always goes with the low number; regardless of the quality of work; because curbing expenses is part of the traditional business model. The other reason; and I'm assuming it's the same in the drone world; is that most of the bean counters have absolutely no concept of what our job actually entails; much less the expense involved in doing top end work. I know several guys with over 20+ years of experience who were bumped off of touring positions by some wet behind the ears kid with a lighting console bought with trust fund money; because they were willing to work for peanuts; just to get the job.
What worse is that for many drone jobs the skill level required is minimal to begin with.
I just don't want you to think you can go out and get a drone pilot job. That's what I thought when I first started out, and found out that no, there really are no drone pilot jobs where you just get hired and you have a job.

Reactions: Ajkm
Kyle,
Welcome to the club. I wanted to encourage you. The drone industry is growing and it looks like you have the right attitude. I won't disagree with those that said it is tough and saturation is a problem. However in south east PA where I am the problem is people just don't understand the capabilities of drones. Help spread the word about drone uses. I just attended the Pa Drone Association symposium. This was a great networking opportunity. Feel free to contact me if you want to talk. Check out my website.

Pittmav69, your attitude and desire for success will get you there. Yes, the market is saturated. Yes, everybody and their dog can get a Part 107, buy a drone and offer their "I'll-do-it-cheaper- than you" services. They are not now, nor will ever be your real competition. I've been a freelance professional photographer for 20+years and quality clients will want and demand quality services. I am new to the drone world, too. I've checked out the local competition. Most of the services I have seen are mediocre at best. They offer badly color-graded pictures, poor composition, and choppy, poorly edited video. Then there are the few who do outstanding work. Those pilots are my competition and are pushing me to up my skills to be able to join their ranks. I wish you the best of luck!
BTW, in addition to being a photographer, I am also a professional musician. Both the things I am best at, photography and music, have been severely impacted by Covid. I hope we can get back to some degree of normalcy soon.

Kyle.
Mahalo.
Here are some ways to up your skills:
Consider "Drone Maneuvers Mastery" from Pilot Institute. This course will actually teach you something about flying a drone. With very little blah blah blah.
Learning how to fly is your first job.
Learn Pix4DCapture - Map jobs tend to pay better. Don't worry about post yet, my customers have their own stitching solutions. Make sure you fly muti-battery missions. It's free to use.
Learn the basics of photography. The triangle and all that.
The basic drone shots - typically Cardinal Points and Facade are the most sought after.

Then there is video which is a whole thing unto itself, but you should first learn about still photo jobs.

Here are some ways to up your skills:
Consider "Drone Maneuvers Mastery" from Pilot Institute. This course will actually teach you something about flying a drone. With very little blah blah blah.
Learning how to fly is your first job.
Learn Pix4DCapture - Map jobs tend to pay better. Don't worry about post yet, my customers have their own stitching solutions. Make sure you fly muti-battery missions. It's free to use.
Learn the basics of photography. The triangle and all that.
The basic drone shots - typically Cardinal Points and Facade are the most sought after.

Then there is video which is a whole thing unto itself, but you should first learn about still photo jobs.
Hi Jim. Thanks for the tips and info. This is awesome, I've downloaded and subscribed to the Lightroom/Photoshop suite from Adobe and have been going hard at Lightroom the past week. I'm familiar with Pilot's Institute as well. I took a couple free courses that covered my drone (Mavic Air 2) and I have Ultimate Drone Pilot Guide course from them on deck, I'll look into the others as well. Still studying for my 107 test and looking into the proper insurance needed to fly commercially. i'm particularly interested in Pix4DCapture. As a professional Lighting Designer for Concerts; I use a couple types of 3D visualizer software. I use one platform to do rough in and mid-grade design; the other is more advanced and handles The fine tweeks and edits and provides the final 3D render for the client with audio and (If They want it) animation. This is exactly why I joined this forum and the Mavic Pilots forum. Thanks for the tips and support. I'll keep everyone posted on my progress through this new journey.
Kyle

Kyle,
Welcome to the club. I wanted to encourage you. The drone industry is growing and it looks like you have the right attitude. I won't disagree with those that said it is tough and saturation is a problem. However in south east PA where I am the problem is people just don't understand the capabilities of drones. Help spread the word about drone uses. I just attended the Pa Drone Association symposium. This was a great networking opportunity. Feel free to contact me if you want to talk. Check out my website.
Thanks for the support brother. It's a bit like what you say here in Pittsburgh as well. There are only 2 companies that I know of around here that do any type of drone photography. I'm planning on reaching out to them to see exactly what the sitch is so I can get an idea of what other pilots in the area are doing outside of hobby flying. I'll be keeping folks posted.Thanks again. Fly Safe.
Kyle.

Kyle.
Mahalo.
Just wanted to welcome you and say that I share your pain, coming from the events industry myself #WeMakeEvents #EventsMatter. Good luck with your journey, and if you want to reach out to me directly, please do. You can find me at dgnfly.com. We're based in the UK but still good to have a chat with fellow creatives, venturing out into the world of drones! Jules

Just wanted to welcome you and say that I share your pain, coming from the events industry myself #WeMakeEvents #EventsMatter. Good luck with your journey, and if you want to reach out to me directly, please do. You can find me at dgnfly.com. We're based in the UK but still good to have a chat with fellow creatives, venturing out into the world of drones! Jules
Thanks for the welcome and encouragement Jules. It's great to hear from a brother in the Live Events Industry here in the land of UAS. I'll be sure to check your website. I'd enjoy a good chat to hear how you all are faring in the UK. Fly safe brother. I'll be in touch.
Kyle.

Kyle,
Thanks for the welcome and the info; brother. I'll make it a point to check your website and; of course; I always look forward to a good chat and a chance to get to know my colleagues. Fly safe.
Kyle

Thanks for the welcome and encouragement Jules. It's great to hear from a brother in the Live Events Industry here in the land of UAS. I'll be sure to check your website. I'd enjoy a good chat to hear how you all are faring in the UK. Fly safe brother. I'll be in touch.
Kyle.
Cheers Kyle. Take care my man and look forward to speaking soon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gstrick1215