Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

New member / airport authorization

Sky-Op

Reaction score
First off, hi everyone I’m a new member here with a question about authorization near Atlanta Hartsfield Jackson airport.
I have a client with a business within 5 miles of Hartsfield. This client has inquired about might time surveillance flights around their property. This would be an op below 100’, 3-5 evenings a week approx 4 hrs flight time per night. My question is with Hartsfield being such a busy airspace,is there any chance I could get authorization for ongoing operations in that area? I’m not sure exactly how to begin the approval process but I’m sure I can find a way via dronezone right?

First off, hi everyone I’m a new member here with a question about authorization near Atlanta Hartsfield Jackson airport.
I have a client with a business within 5 miles of Hartsfield. This client has inquired about might time surveillance flights around their property. This would be an op below 100’, 3-5 evenings a week approx 4 hrs flight time per night. My question is with Hartsfield being such a busy airspace,is there any chance I could get authorization for ongoing operations in that area? I’m not sure exactly how to begin the approval process but I’m sure I can find a way via dronezone right?

Without any solid information to fix a location, the best anyone can do is to tell you that it is going to depending upon the location and the UASFM altitude grid you are planning on flying in. That should give you some idea of whether or not they are going to approve a COA for operation within controlled airspace. Hartsfield is serviced by LAANC so approval once they receive a request should not take that long. Being completely unfamiliar with the Atlanta area, I would need specific locations where you intend to fly in order to go any further.
There are quite a few variables and a generic post is only going to net a generic answer.

Reactions: LUIS MARTINEZ
I'll ask via Laanc. Not sure how to go about that but I'll figure it out I guess.

Thanks for that video Luis. Skyward looks to be very useful. If one were to get FAA and ATC approval how would I unlock my dji mavic 2 Pro with this authorization?

Thanks for that video Luis. Skyward looks to be very useful. If one were to get FAA and ATC approval how would I unlock my dji mavic 2 Pro with this authorization?
I use Skyward exclusively, print the authorization and take with me to the job site. I'm old school, don't like apps; love paper.

YouTube is your friend. ;)

I'll ask via Laanc. Not sure how to go about that but I'll figure it out I guess.

You are going to need to file for a waiver to operate at night prior to receiving any airspace approval. I am not sure about the timeframe required currently, but having an idea (which is not the same as knowing to exact process) of what the FAA is going to require, unless you know what you are doing then I would advise that you go back to the potential client and let them know that currently you are unable to do the job until the regulations change allowing night flights (maybe by next summer). It's in Congress currently for what that is worth.....
as an afterthought, you might be able to get with someone here who has gone through the process successfully and get some help filing for the waiver. If you don't know what you are doing, it can be a really painful process that drags out for many months

Reactions: BigAl07
holy COW!!!! the FAA granted authorization for a flight in the 0 grid location I requested. Shocked I tell you. While I didn't request a night op the approval of this request is encouraging to me for sure.

holy COW!!!! the FAA granted authorization for a flight in the 0 grid location I requested. Shocked I tell you. While I didn't request a night op the approval of this request is encouraging to me for sure.

You can NOT get a Night Approval via LAANC (at this time). You'll want to submit your request via DroneZone because ATC is automatically denying any NIGHT requests via LAANC for the time being.

So many caps so early in the morning....oi ;-)

My bad.... I was trying to get some emphasis in there because I was late to the party and I didn't want the OP to waste a bunch of time submitting requests that we know won't get approved. (much fewer caps there LOL)

Reactions: R Martin
Thats great what altitude did you request if you dont mind sharing

If SkyOp does ultimately get approval for this mission, I hope you have a whole stack of batteries . I would also go way out in the county and practice flying at night before attempting to fly in this congested area around Atlanta. I’ve never attempted to fly at night, but it seems to me that it would be a much riskier mission. Also don’t forget to verify that your insurance company doesn’t exclude night ops. You do have flight insurance—right?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM