Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

new part 107 pilot newbie question

coldue

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently passed my part 107 test. I am planning to take some drone footage for one of my real estate friend in NYC.

I know the drone is prohibited in NYC, but is there any wavier I can apply to legally fly in NYC?

Just to make it more clear, I will need to take some footage at Dyker Heights, Brooklyn.

Reactions: SanCap
Hi all,

I recently passed my part 107 test. I am planning to take some drone footage for one of my real estate friend in NYC.

I know the drone is prohibited in NYC, but is there any wavier I can apply to legally fly in NYC?

Just to make it more clear, I will need to take some footage at Dyker Heights, Brooklyn.
Have you checked Sectional and FAM?

Reactions: BigAl07
Hi all,

Based upon where exactly you were planning on flying yes or no. JFK in that area is SFC-7K which means you would have to have a COA for Class B if you fall on that side of the line. Maybe if you were flying west of it depending on local requirements for flying in an urban environment. Have to check your local restrictions as well. I've heard NYC is pretty restrictive.

It depends on what the actual restriction is.

A) If airspace you "might" get a waiver from the FAA (I wouldn't bet my bottom $$)
B) If local restrictions (as in Land Use) there is no waiver process

Sometimes we just can't fly at all and that's part of it.

Reactions: LUIS MARTINEZ

Have you taken a moment to review the NY Sectional and look at that area at all?

Here's a screen print of that general area... it's CRAZY busy and complicated:
Screenshot 2019-09-13 11.06.07.png

Last edited:
I would first check with the city and see if you can get permission. Since I don't know the area you are wanting to fly you may or may not be able to get a wavier. Don't know how much flight time and experience you have but that area looks like a can of worms for drone operations. Whatever you do, obey the law, if you can't fly, don't.

Living and working in the NYC Metro area, I've looked into it. The city has a blanket No Drone Flying rule within the city limits, with the exception of a handful of parks.

Drones · NYC311

That being said, I did call city information line and asked if there was any way to obtain a permit for commercial flying within the city. I was told "no", but was also informed that the NYPD was the department that established that rule for security reasons and that it would be the NYPD who would have to grant me permission to fly. So my advice would be to get all of your paperwork together, including an FAA waiver for any controlled airspace you would be flying in, as well as a letter of permission by the property owner, a map of your intended flight area, etc. -- and head over to the local precinct to introduce yourself to the Precinct Commander to show him your credentials and seek professional permission to fly on a particular day. 50/50 chance the Comander will be a nice guy and appreciate the fact that you came to ask permission and give them a heads up. Tell him you would be happy to have a patrol car watch your operation, and don't be argumentative if he turns you down.

Last edited:
Reactions: R.Perry
Interesting observation regarding the above LAANC map.. The red grid on the right is mostly JFK Airport, with some LaGuardia Airport (LGA) grid to the north. There was a time when the red grids simply indicated that an airport's LAANC system hadn't come online yet, but in this case JFK used to be online and colored green just a couple of months ago but has now decided to go red. I wonder if this might be an early indication that the largest and busiest airports will now be opting to drop out of LAANC in preference of the DroneZone waiver application that requires more detail and allows more time to consider airspace requests. I have a contact in the LGA tower and will see if I can find out why JFK has now gone red.

Reactions: SanCap
Just for further reference Dyker Heights is approximately in this red circle and I think Fort Hamilton is also located in that circle.
DH.jpg

It depends on what the actual restriction is.

A) If airspace you "might" get a waiver from the FAA (I wouldn't bet my bottom $$)
B) If local restrictions (as in Land Use) there is no waiver process

Sometimes we just can't fly at all and that's part of it.
I think there is a law in NYC prohibit drone usage.

Just for further reference Dyker Heights is approximately in this red circle and I think Fort Hamilton is also located in that circle.
View attachment 1703
Yes, that’s where I want to fly
Living and working in the NYC Metro area, I've looked into it. The city has a blanket No Drone Flying rule within the city limits, with the exception of a handful of parks.

Drones · NYC311

That being said, I did call city information line and asked if there was any way to obtain a permit for commercial flying within the city. I was told "no", but was also informed that the NYPD was the department that established that rule for security reasons and that it would be the NYPD who would have to grant me permission to fly. So my advice would be to get all of your paperwork together, including an FAA waiver for any controlled airspace you would be flying in, as well as a letter of permission by the property owner, a map of your intended flight area, etc. -- and head over to the local precinct to introduce yourself to the Precinct Commander to show him your credentials and seek professional permission to fly on a particular day. 50/50 chance the Comander will be a nice guy and appreciate the fact that you came to ask permission and give them a heads up. Tell him you would be happy to have a patrol car watch your operation, and don't be argumentative if he turns you down.
I might give a try.
Not sure if there is a one stop solution for my future work.

Yes, that’s where I want to fly

I might give a try.
Not sure if there is a one stop solution for my future work.

There is not, being so close to major NFZ's. Even if it is legal, your DJI drone will most likely get confused and lock you out of starting the motors. Easy enough to figure out, go there and try to fly.

There is not, being so close to major NFZ's. Even if it is legal, your DJI drone will most likely get confused and lock you out of starting the motors. Easy enough to figure out, go there and try to fly.
I was flying somewhere close, and my DJI drone had no problem to start....
I am just worry about the city law.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boduku