Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

New Thermal Sensor

DJI just introduced the Mavic 2 Enterprise "Dual", which has a Flir dual sensor camera (Thermal Radiometric Infrared + RGB visible)
Screenshot_20181221-043734_Chrome.jpg

DJI only taking pre-orders. No data sheet on the sensor other than its Radiometric, will have access to pallets and isotherms. No sample video that I can find.

I know it's hard with limited info, but what are others thoughts on this unit and its thermal for public safety use?? I know there are better units for this but hoping to start small at a more manageable price and go up from there. All comments and pov's welcome!

Anxiously awaiting some info on this. Would be an easier sell if it is useful and of decent quality.

M2ED Thermal Camera
Sensor Uncooled VOx Microbolometer
Lens HFOV: 57°
Aperture: f/1.1
Resolution 160×120
Pixel Pitch 12 μm
Spectral Band 8-14 μm
Image Size 640×480 (4:3); 640×360 (16:9)
Still Photography Modes Single shot Burst shooting: 3/5/7 frames
Video Recording Modes 640×360 @8.7fps
Accuracy High Gain: Max ±5% (typical)
Low Gain: Max ±10% (typical)
Scene Range High Gain: -10° to +140°C
Low Gain: -10°to +400°C
Photo JPEG
Video MP4, MOV (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264)

While we're waiting for DJI to provide video/stills samples (I, for one, want to see what the MSX software will do for the 160x120 sensor, what kind of parallax issues the dual lenses will have, etc.) it may be worth taking a look at FLIR's comparison of their 160x120 and 640x512 sensors - then deciding what each of our requirements are & which sensor/price point will do the job.

And, just to complicate things, I'm wondering - could DJI have an intermediate thermal offering (something between the Mavic and the Matrice) in store for us when they unveil the Phanton 5?

M2ED Thermal Camera
Sensor Uncooled VOx Microbolometer
Lens HFOV: 57°
Aperture: f/1.1
Resolution 160×120
Pixel Pitch 12 μm
Spectral Band 8-14 μm
Image Size 640×480 (4:3); 640×360 (16:9)
Still Photography Modes Single shot Burst shooting: 3/5/7 frames
Video Recording Modes 640×360 @8.7fps
Accuracy High Gain: Max ±5% (typical)
Low Gain: Max ±10% (typical)
Scene Range High Gain: -10° to +140°C
Low Gain: -10°to +400°C
Photo JPEG
Video MP4, MOV (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264)
Like anything else, you get what you pay for. Keep in mind the resolution difference between 160x120 v. 640x512.

Hope it'll work better than an Xt2r/X4S on a M210, completely unreliable...

Garret Bryl has posted what I believe is the first use of the M2ED to cover a house fire. The firetrucks and firefighters are readily visible (you can clearly make out the vehicle markings thanks to the FLIR MSX) but, at 100' AGL, there's certainly a parallax/offset issue.

Reactions: LUIS MARTINEZ
Just saw this video as well! Very helpful to see it put to a real life test.

A short M2ED demo from Skyfire Consulting and DJI's Public Safety Director, Romeo Durscher.

Thank you for posting. Refresh rate and that image is not Enterprise quality like they were boasting. Luis nailed it, you get what you pay for. Looks like I am proceeding with an XT Jan 1. Definitely don't see any post processing with that quality

Reactions: Earnest Ward
Looks like I am proceeding with an XT Jan 1.
Unless DJI decides to do another mid-winter release... of, say, a Phantom 5 with a Boson 640 or 320 "duo"? ;-) (It could fit nicely between the M2ED and M210 in price and performance.)

Merry Christmas everyone. And a Happy and Prosperous New Year!

The M2ED has a growing controversy as to its practically. Though I like both of my buddies Romeo and Garrett, I would have to side with Garrett on its limitations.

Also I am not a huge fan of the MSX feature, but I will use it on certain situations, and conditions.

DJI is not stupid, they realize there is a "cool" factor to infrared dronesand buyers will be attracted to the low price just to have one and show their buddies how they can see their dog taking a poop in the woods at night. Selling XTs and XT2s to a small market like public safety is not going to make DJI a lot of cash, so I'm guessing a bright boy in marketing had an idea. "Why don't we build a cheap Mavic with FLIR for the kids?"

Having said that, public safety agencies unable to afford the XT/XT2 family, will flock to the M2ED, nothing wrong with that plan so long as they understand the limitations. To each his own. Just my 2 centavos.

Reactions: Outta Control
DJI is not stupid, they realize there is a "cool" factor to infrared dronesand buyers will be attracted to the low price just to have one and show their buddies how they can see their dog taking a poop in the woods at night. Selling XTs and XT2s to a small market like public safety is not going to make DJI a lot of cash, so I'm guessing a bright boy in marketing had an idea. "Why don't we build a cheap Mavic with FLIR for the kids?"

Having said that, public safety agencies unable to afford the XT/XT2 family, will flock to the M2ED, nothing wrong with that plan so long as they understand the limitations. To each his own. Just my 2 centavos.

Oh I agree Luis. There will be a market for the M2ED but what I was pointing out is the level of expectation one should consider when purchasing the unit.

Reactions: LUIS MARTINEZ

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM