Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

New to everything, looking for advice or direction.

Hondope

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new to flying drone, but I have very good coordination so I'm not worried about learning how to fly. I'm studying for the Part 107 right now looking to take it in a few weeks.
I have a background in policing/security/retail sales, also currently a door to door salesman building rapport and negotiation are skill sets I have obtain in sales. Using commission to purchase a commercial drone in about 3 months.
I want to get into commercial drone work but I don't know what path to take after the part 107. I'm going to continue to work in sales to pay for any classes/certs I would need to obtain to better stand out.
I have to mention, I'm looking for high pay as I am the only one who provides the income in my household. Until I get a good flow of clients for services, I will continue working in sales which currently I work only 4 hours out of the day
which leaves me open with plenty of time to learn and practice my skills as a drone OP.

Links to certification classes and videos would be very much appreciated thank you for taking the time out of your day and reading.
Time is a precious commodity.

My advice would be to find a local drone company looking to fill an entry-level drone operator or apprentice position with part-time work so you can get your foot into the business, build experience, and maybe eventually be offered a full-time position. I'm not sure what exactly you mean by "looking for high pay", but I'd probably dial back that expectation a bit.

This forum is a great resource. Follow links for flying tips, battery care, showcases - see what others are producing. If you want to drive yourself crazy, read some of the threads on pricing - although that might dissuade you from entering the business! Also, you can learn a lot from YouTube, it's just difficult to find quality advice there. Just remember that most of what is on YouTube is crap, so beware.

Reactions: MikeA
Hey guys, I'm new to flying drone, but I have very good coordination so I'm not worried about learning how to fly. I'm studying for the Part 107 right now looking to take it in a few weeks.
I have a background in policing/security/retail sales, also currently a door to door salesman building rapport and negotiation are skill sets I have obtain in sales. Using commission to purchase a commercial drone in about 3 months.
I want to get into commercial drone work but I don't know what path to take after the part 107. I'm going to continue to work in sales to pay for any classes/certs I would need to obtain to better stand out.
I have to mention, I'm looking for high pay as I am the only one who provides the income in my household. Until I get a good flow of clients for services, I will continue working in sales which currently I work only 4 hours out of the day
which leaves me open with plenty of time to learn and practice my skills as a drone OP.

Links to certification classes and videos would be very much appreciated thank you for taking the time out of your day and reading.
Time is a precious commodity.
I am similar shoes in that I just bought a Mini 3 Pro and plan on using it as part of my tool kit as a commercial photographer.

The one thing I am finding MOST HELPFUL, is talking to drone pilots face to face. Near my house in Los Angeles, there is a location where they congregate and I am able to chat with people who have years of experience with racing and production drones. This has helping me create a path forward with my objective to officer the service to my existing clients.

Since I know that I know nothing, they are helping me understand the skillsets and kinds of drones that I will need, as well as the commercial landscape. These drone pilots are great people. They are incredibly generous with information and the interaction has made my entry into the drone world way more fun.

I cannot get this contextual information directly from the forums, so face-to-face is what has helped me to most.

Do something unique, there’s mom and pop drone companies all over the internet and operators are a dime a dozen and that’s how much some of them charge as well .

Since you’re into security, maybe invest in a tethered drone system that can stay up at an event for much longer, I don’t ever see companies advertising those types of services. You can also use a tether drone for many standard types of projects, so it wouldn’t be that limited.
Just a suggestion…

Oh, and I would keep your day job for sure! Good luck out there, it used to be a wild frontier, but it’s becoming quite developed these days. Also, consider what happened in the gold rush -the people that made most of the money where those that sold jeans, overpriced picks, pans and shovels to the miners!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerardH143