Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Night flying authorization

Bob

Reaction score
I understand requirements under part 107 for flying at night for a job. Does someone flying at night as a hobbyist still need to get a waiver in class G airspace? My buddies and me are having disagreements that hobbyist are exempt from the laws especially over night flying and the FAA rules. Thanks for the help!

I don't "think" hobbyist are specifically forbidden from "Flying at night" but there is a caveat that can come back to bite you... Does it say anywhere on your registration or other CBO Guidelines to fly during daylight only?

There is no process for a HOBBYIST to get a waiver for anything. You fly within Section 336 completely or you default to Part 107 LAW regardless if you have your Part 107 or not.

I don't "think" hobbyist are specifically forbidden from "Flying at night" but there is a caveat that can come back to bite you... Does it say anywhere on your registration or other CBO Guidelines to fly during daylight only?

There is no process for a HOBBYIST to get a waiver for anything. You fly within Section 336 completely or you default to Part 107 LAW regardless if you have your Part 107 or not.

And that is what seems so crazy to me. Part 107 pilots go thru training (even it is only studying for exam) and yet we have restrictions where hobbyist do not. That just does not make sense. I have applied for my night time cow so we will see how that goes.

And that is what seems so crazy to me. Part 107 pilots go thru training (even it is only studying for exam) and yet we have restrictions where hobbyist do not. That just does not make sense. I have applied for my night time cow so we will see how that goes.

The only reason hobbyist do NOT have to jump through these hoops is because lobbyists got their way and Congress passed a law in 2012 stating the FAA could not make ANY new laws against hobbyists. I can assure you that if the FAA had their way we would be mind boggling rules for hobby flights.

Reactions: Russ Still

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sysadtech99