Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Night Time Waiver Needs More Information

LAFS305

Reaction score
Website
www.lakesareafiresecurity.com
Sorry if this has been covered but I am trying to get a night time waiver for the 3rd time. I thought I got my last application pretty iron clad but apparently not. They are requesting more information about the following topics and I'm looking for help on how to get these answered and get my waiver. Any help will be greatly appreciated and thanks for taking the time to read this.

For a waiver from section 107.29—Daylight operation:

· Applicant must provide a method for the remote pilot to see and avoid other aircraft, people on the ground, and ground-based structures and obstacles during darkness.

o Please describe in detail the method or procedure you will use to see and avoid non-participating aircraft.

o Please describe in detail the method or procedure you will use to avoid people on the ground while you are operating at night.

o Please describe in detail the method or procedure you will use to avoid ground based structures

· Applicant must provide a method to assure all required persons participating in the sUA operation have knowledge to recognize and overcome visual illusions caused by darkness, and understand physiological conditions which may degrade night vision.

o In your initial application, you did not adequately assure that all required persons participating in the small-unmanned aircraft operation to include visual observers have knowledge to recognize and overcome visual illusions caused by darkness, and understand physiological conditions, which may degrade night vision. Please provide the subjects that you will include in your training, we do not need the entire training program, just a list of the subject that you will cover. Chapter 17 of the Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge may be a resource that you may want to use. Providing a method of assuring is usually some type of test that can be reviewed with the trainee corrected to 100% and documented as complete.

You'll be using visual observer(s), right? How will they communicate with the pilot about non-participating aircraft?

How will you ensure people on the ground are not in your operational area?

How will you know of the ground based structures you need to avoid? Will you be doing a daylight survey prior to your mission?

How will you test your visual observers on their knowledge of PHAK Chapter 17? What specific topics will you test them on? How will you document their testing in case you are asked to provide documentation?

I am applying for my daylight waiver, I am about 95% done and am stuck on this one question that just doesn't make any since to me whats so ever? I'm probably over thinking things at this point. The question all ready states the lighting is sufficient to begin with so why am I being asked to substantiate if the lighting is sufficient before flight? I'm brain fried and probably need to step away from the computer....lololol

Question 2.d: If flight operations occur in an area with lighting sufficient for the RPIC and VO to see the sUA and other obstacles, persons, and aircraft, how will they determine the lighting is sufficient before flight?

Thanks in advance!

Frank

I am applying for my daylight waiver, I am about 95% done and am stuck on this one question that just doesn't make any since to me whats so ever? I'm probably over thinking things at this point. The question all ready states the lighting is sufficient to begin with so why am I being asked to substantiate if the lighting is sufficient before flight? I'm brain fried and probably need to step away from the computer....lololol

Question 2.d: If flight operations occur in an area with lighting sufficient for the RPIC and VO to see the sUA and other obstacles, persons, and aircraft, how will they determine the lighting is sufficient before flight?

Thanks in advance!

Frank

How do you know the lighting is sufficient? What do you do to ensure that is the case? Even if the lighting is sufficient, if it fails what will you do to ensure that you are still able to see? Think like a Federal government employee. Roll your stuff in little balls and put the balls in a box and rattle them around a bit and the answer will become apparent.

Reactions: LUIS MARTINEZ

Thanks in advance!

Frank
Imagine your audience is a kindergarten class. How would you explain it? I am being serious.

Thanks in advance!

Frank
I have the same question. Are they wanting something similar to a light meter? Or how? If you can see x feet?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM