Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

North Carolina Here

Twenty Eight November

Reaction score
Hi, I have been watching this forum for a while now but never joined as i had not taken a step into the Commercial realm until recently. I have been a participating member in the MavicPilots forum since April of 2017. I am 51 from North Carolina and live in the Raleigh / Fayetteville area. Work in one live near the other. I grew up flying private planes, sat for the part 61 when I was 15, but never finished and got my pilots license. It got expensive and I lost interest. Plus, you don't need a license to fly a plane, you just need friends who have their license, access to a plane and are willing to let you take the controls once in a while.

I started flying a drone about 2 years ago. I do very, VERY, amateur film/video and wanted an easier way to do dolly and boom shots as well as some aerial. I bought a Mavic Pro because of the size, I do a lot of kayaking as well and wanted something small enough to fit into the kayak and take with me but still have decent 4k resolution.

I am about 29 months away from retirement from my day job, and have recently been trying to figure out what I want to do next. I was at a seminar a while back and listening to some talk about things going on with the Drone industry and thought it might be something interesting to get into commercially. So I did a little studying, and passed my 107 and now I am trying to figure out where I want to go. I work in State Government and we have a lot of departments within my agency that fly daily for everything from corridor mapping, videography, project management, to traffic management monitoring. Even though my department doesn't currently utilize drone technology, I do have opportunities within the agency to get out to fly and log some commercial time. It also will expose me to other platforms as well as our agency uses everything from a Mavic to a Matrice 600. So hopefully within the next 12 to 18 months I can get something figured out and maybe start a part time business that can lead into something bigger once I retire.

Hi, I have been watching this forum for a while now but never joined as i had not taken a step into the Commercial realm until recently. I have been a participating member in the MavicPilots forum since April of 2017. I am 51 from North Carolina and live in the Raleigh / Fayetteville area. Work in one live near the other. I grew up flying private planes, sat for the part 61 when I was 15, but never finished and got my pilots license. It got expensive and I lost interest. Plus, you don't need a license to fly a plane, you just need friends who have their license, access to a plane and are willing to let you take the controls once in a while.

I started flying a drone about 2 years ago. I do very, VERY, amateur film/video and wanted an easier way to do dolly and boom shots as well as some aerial. I bought a Mavic Pro because of the size, I do a lot of kayaking as well and wanted something small enough to fit into the kayak and take with me but still have decent 4k resolution.

I am about 29 months away from retirement from my day job, and have recently been trying to figure out what I want to do next. I was at a seminar a while back and listening to some talk about things going on with the Drone industry and thought it might be something interesting to get into commercially. So I did a little studying, and passed my 107 and now I am trying to figure out where I want to go. I work in State Government and we have a lot of departments within my agency that fly daily for everything from corridor mapping, videography, project management, to traffic management monitoring. Even though my department doesn't currently utilize drone technology, I do have opportunities within the agency to get out to fly and log some commercial time. It also will expose me to other platforms as well as our agency uses everything from a Mavic to a Matrice 600. So hopefully within the next 12 to 18 months I can get something figured out and maybe start a part time business that can lead into something bigger once I retire.

Welcome and Congratulations on attaining your 107. We are seeing many opportunity's for work in the UAS industry including power line, telecom, infrastructure. Outfitting, training and support for SAR, LEO, local municipalities are keeping many of us busy. Get as much training on your own including mapping, the use of thermal sensors, NDVI etc. Let us know if we can help.

These are the good old days!

Reactions: BigAl07
Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the CommercialDronePilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in the commercial drone field.
Enjoy the forum!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerardH143