Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

North Carolina sUAS Launch/Recovery Rule

eagleeye

Reaction score
I've been reviewing the NC state laws related to sUAS use and noticed it states that you may not launch or recover your drone from any property that is privately or state owned without consent. While there are many places airspace use is otherwise fine per Part 107, does this mean that (other than your home) every other place in NC would be covered by the state's rule? Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the rule.

For those who have flown in NC, any insight here or experience with properly securing this type of permission?

Thanks,
Jeff

The law also states that "A unit of local government may adopt an ordinance to regulate the use of the local government's property for the launch or recovery of unmanned aircraft systems." So this State law only seems to apply to State-owned land (state parks, state highways, etc.) and privately held land, but leaves it to local governments (counties, towns, villages) to establish drone laws for their locally-owned land, So you may wish to check the local government regulations for any drone restrictions. Keep in mind I'm not an attorney.

I fly in NC fairly often (sometimes 7 days a week when I'm lucky) and unless I'm flying from University, Public Safety, or any "sensitive" land I don't five it much thought. It's a fairly broad restriction and not one that is enforced for the most part.

Now on private property, I will ALWAYS seek permission beforehand.

Reactions: MapMaker53
Thanks for the responses, everyone.

It's the NC Commercial (or Governmental) UAS Operator Permit.
Reviewing the study guide is what prompted my initial question.
FYI:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerardH143