Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

NOTAM Tools

Avocet

DSAR Member
Reaction score
Website
www.kestrelsolutionsuav.com
I used to use 1800xWeatherBrief for NOTAM creation. Seems the interface has changed and looks like it required COAs to file a NOTAM. Am I missing something here? I don't have a COA and wasn't aware that I needed one to file a NOTAM for a UAS flight.

Any other online sites where I can create and file a NOTAM. Previously, the above site would also publish the NOTAM to the SkyVector.com sectionals as a purple circle with meta data. No mas it seems.

What do others use?

Thanks ...

I only use
HI Luis .,, hope you will field a couple of ENII. My usage pertains exclusively to UAS and I don't see much in the ENII site that encapsuates UAS/UAV and am not sure it matters. Do you use ENII for UAS also? Perhaps I'm not deep enough into the interface?

Thanks for your help. Stay safe too.

Do you ALWAYS file a NOTAM? Some changes indicate lately that FAA is NOT interested in NOTAMS for recreational flights. As a Part 107 cert holder, some of my work is not monetized til well after creation, meaning that they are or can be "recreational" at flight time? Your thoughts? Regardless of the outcome, I've felt that it is a good thing for the system to know I'm flying, where, when, etc. regardless of descriptors of purpose. Remote ID will address this in the future surely.

HI Luis .,, hope you will field a couple of ENII. My usage pertains exclusively to UAS and I don't see much in the ENII site that encapsuates UAS/UAV and am not sure it matters. Do you use ENII for UAS also? Perhaps I'm not deep enough into the interface?

Thanks for your help. Stay safe too.
I use ENII exclusively for UAS. Try to file one; if it's rejected they usually call you and help you through the process. I prepared the attached instructions for my police pilots when I taught my 107 class. The first steps (2-9) were intended to teach them to locate the mission from the nearest VOR. You can skip all that nonsense and just use coordinates from your phone GPS app or Google Earth.

I don't always file a NOTAM for my training flights. I always file one for my commercial flights. Particularly near airports and over 100 feet, even though they are not required. As an aviator I believe in flying safe and covering all bases.

Attachments

• HOT TO FILE A NOTAM.pdf
    881.5 KB · Views: 13
Reactions: dronecyclops
It can get a little finicky on accepted text format. Here's an example:

AIRSPACE UAS WI AN AREA DEFINED AS .25NM RADIUS OF 331309N1115127W (3.8NM SW CHD) SFC-300FT AGL

There are examples that you can insert your own information into that provide you with almost everything you need. Of course, you are going to need your long/lats (you can convert northing and easting into long/lat here: Earthpoint), an airport to base your location on (for the three letter designator you can look that up here SkyVector) and then you can derive distance from Google Maps if you don't have a better tool to use. ENII has been my go to since I started.

Do you ALWAYS file a NOTAM? Some changes indicate lately that FAA is NOT interested in NOTAMS for recreational flights. As a Part 107 cert holder, some of my work is not monetized til well after creation, meaning that they are or can be "recreational" at flight time? Your thoughts? Regardless of the outcome, I've felt that it is a good thing for the system to know I'm flying, where, when, etc. regardless of descriptors of purpose. Remote ID will address this in the future surely.
I file for every flight even if I am flying in Golf airspace. Most of my flights are within controlled airspace though. We may be discouraged from using the radio (we do have radios capable of talking to ATC) so this is the best method of informing pilots and the local airpatch that we are operating, when we are going to be operating, where and at what altitude. What it boils down to is the promotion of safety; GA's and yours. I would think that the FAA would see that and be glad for your cooperation.
To date, I have never received a complaint about me filing. As part of my COA process I include that I will file for each flight and have never been called out on it. Center sometimes corrects my filings if it isn't formatted to their standard of perfection which happens occasionally but they have never rejected a filing to date.

Reactions: LUIS MARTINEZ
I used to use 1800xWeatherBrief for NOTAM creation. Seems the interface has changed and looks like it required COAs to file a NOTAM. Am I missing something here? I don't have a COA and wasn't aware that I needed one to file a NOTAM for a UAS flight.

Any other online sites where I can create and file a NOTAM. Previously, the above site would also publish the NOTAM to the SkyVector.com sectionals as a purple circle with meta data. No mas it seems.

What do others use?

Thanks ...
I did use the old Lockheed Martin (1800wxbrief) site a few times and noticed that sometimes my NOTAM never showed up on other sites which is why I never relied on that site....just a little background info. ENII is run by the FAA. That is the only site I rely on.

I did use the old Lockheed Martin (1800wxbrief) site a few times and noticed that sometimes my NOTAM never showed up on other sites which is why I never relied on that site....just a little background info. ENII is run by the FAA. That is the only site I rely on.
I began using 1800 until I checked online pilot resources and realized my UAS NOTAMS were not published to pilots (the intended audience!). When I brought it to Lockheed's attention their reply was oh well...so I jumped to ENII which I love to use.

Reactions: Avocet and R Martin
Looking lite Lockheed requiring COAs for all DROTAMS these days too. They are not publishing recreational efforts ...

Sometimes my flights don't have buyers (non-part 107) but then get sold for money. This a contingency they need to consider IMO.

Looking lite Lockheed requiring COAs for all DROTAMS these days too. They are not publishing recreational efforts ...

Sometimes my flights don't have buyers (non-part 107) but then get sold for money. This a contingency they need to consider IMO.
I don't know which Lockheed genius decided that all UAS NOTAMS require a COA. I only use ENII.

Reactions: R Martin and Avocet
I don't know which Lockheed genius decided that all UAS NOTAMS require a COA. I only use ENII.
Do your NOTAMS for UAV (DROTAMS Lockheed refers to them as) appear on digital sectionals like SkyVector or ForeFlight etc. (Purple circle based on long/lat and radius)?

Plus, there is some major UAV Ju-Ju in the Syracuse Univ. area on the sectionals. Wonder waz going on up THERE?

Do your NOTAMS for UAV (DROTAMS Lockheed refers to them as) appear on digital sectionals like SkyVector or ForeFlight etc. (Purple circle based on long/lat and radius)?

Plus, there is some major UAV Ju-Ju in the Syracuse Univ. area on the sectionals. Wonder waz going on up THERE?
Yes on Skyvector, don't use Foreflight.

Reactions: R Martin

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM