Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

OFFICIAL FAA Sectional Charts to download (current)

Dave Pitman

Reaction score
In case anyone didn't know, you can download free Sectional and Terminal Area charts (and others) direct from the FAA. They are updated and current just like their paper counterparts.

They have 2 versions. A pdf suitable for you computer or tablet and a geo-referenced tiff that you can use in apps like Google Earth Pro.

There are lots of charts available online. But these are nice because you know the release date and they also include the flap notes telling all about the special airspace areas on the chart. And of course the handy legend.

OFFICIAL FAA Raster Charts

Try this also. This will show you DROTAM's
Blue / Purple indicates small drone waivers
This site / chart gives a host of information.
Pins give you weather conditions
SkyVector: Flight Planning / Aeronautical Charts
This! In the field, I'll set my cell phone up as a hot spot, and then check skyvector.com with my iPad (which I fly with) and check for any DROTAMS or TFR's.

Last edited:
Reactions: AH-1G
You are seeing NOTAMS and TFR's on SkyVector?
My apologies, it's getting late and I'm multi-tasking. Yes I do see TFR's on SkyVector, but I meant to type DROTAMS, not NOTAMS. =/

Below is an example of both. The "NOTAM" listed is actually the DROTAM in the bottom right of the image near Sacramento Mather.Screen Shot 2018-01-22 at 9.25.38 PM.png

No worries. I don't use SkyVector often so I didn't know. I use an EFB app (paid) that is for full scale flying and has everything but is not free.

The FAA links are always good do to the source. ;)

In case anyone didn't know, you can download free Sectional and Terminal Area charts (and others) direct from the FAA. They are updated and current just like their paper counterparts.

They have 2 versions. A pdf suitable for you computer or tablet and a geo-referenced tiff that you can use in apps like Google Earth Pro.

There are lots of charts available online. But these are nice because you know the release date and they also include the flap notes telling all about the special airspace areas on the chart. And of course the handy legend.

OFFICIAL FAA Raster Charts

If you haven't already done so, check "Skyvector.com" that has to up to date METAR and TAF data as well. The aeroweather app is very handy as well for local data.

Edit: sorry, I didn't see Clinton's post before I sent this.

Last edited:
I buy the Sectional for 9.00 and the Terminal for 6.50 from Sporty's.com. The Sectional is on 30 minute quads and the Terminal if available for your area is in 15 minute quads. I like having the actual paper map to do my coordinates on. The detail is greater on the Terminal.

I recommend Skyvector.com, especially if you are researching international flying, like I do. Of course, you still need to know the local flight rules, FAA, ICAO or other. I also use a paid app, ForeFlight, with its US database updated regularly (annual subscription) for in the field work as it is easier to use on site than SkyVector. I am also starting to use Skyward for preflight planning, mostly due to its LAANC capabilities that are not available via ForeFlight or SkyVector.

I buy the Sectional for 9.00 and the Terminal for 6.50 from Sporty's.com. The Sectional is on 30 minute quads and the Terminal if available for your area is in 15 minute quads. I like having the actual paper map to do my coordinates on. The detail is greater on the Terminal.

Interesting, I didn't think many people were using printed sectionals, to me the digital are so much easier. That is the old school way though.

Reactions: sar104
Interesting, I didn't think many people were using printed sectionals, to me the digital are so much easier. That is the old school way though.

I'm inclined to agree. I use ForeFlight, which I seems to do a very good job of integrating all necessary information.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM