Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

OSC for Populated areas UK

Hiwayman

Reaction score
Has anybody submitted a request to fly in populated areas in the UK?
How lengthy was the process...was permission granted? What were the fees involved?

Last edited:
If you hold a PfCO then you can already fly in congested areas (and will known this). Otherwise you need to keep 150m away. PfCO costs vary depending on the route you take. Beyond that you have OSCs which are developed to gain CAA exemption clearance, EVLOS etc. This is a more expensive proposition but well worth it generally if you have an Aerial business. My company provides consultancy and training on this.

Reactions: Pentoo
How lengthy was the process...was permission granted? What were the fees involved?
Standard permission allows for operation (sub 20kg) within a congested area - Your NQE should know and have given you that information and you should be aware of where you can and cannot operate!

Non Standard permission allows for less restrictive operation and does require an OSC.

Current CAA charges for UAS documents/permissions/non standard authorisations and submissions can by found within ORS5 No. 349 under 3.11 (updated April 2019)

Last edited:
Reactions: Pentoo

5 ops over people waivers were recently granted in the US for operators using the ParaZero ASTM compliant SafeAir System for the Phantom 4 and Mavic 2.
I work for ParaZero and would be happy to work with you to get an OSC approval in the UK based on the system and accompanying documentation.

Last edited by a moderator:
5 ops over people waivers were recently granted in the US for operators using the ParaZero ASTM compliant SafeAir System for the Phantom 4 and Mavic 2.
I work for ParaZero and would be happy to work with you to get an OSC approval in the UK based on the system and accompanying documentation.

[email protected]
Not relevant as the OP is UK based and I have answered the question above regarding standard permissions within a congested area.

Also, every one of your posts appears to be a plug for your equipment/parachute and nothing else.

@BigAl07 - Approved vendor?

Reactions: BigAl07
Not relevant as the OP is UK based and I have answered the question above regarding standard permissions within a congested area.

Also, every one of your posts appears to be a plug for your equipment/parachute and nothing else.

@BigAl07 - Approved vendor?
I specifically wrote that the goal would be to secure an OSC from CAA UK.

I think enabling expanded operations in urban environments is something that would appreciated by operators in this group.

Reactions: BigAl07
I specifically wrote that the goal would be to secure an OSC from CAA UK.

I think enabling expanded operations in urban environments is something that would appreciated by operators in this group.
Excellent - then I'm sure you would see the benefit in becoming an approved vendor on the forum which then enables you to advertise your product.

Reactions: AviLozowick
I’ve done both of the things being discussed here. I hold a PfCO and OSC. I also train operators who are hoping to achieve their own OSC. OSCs are achieveable by operators with far less experience and complex hardware than many people believe because the CAA take a holistic approach to the applications.

I’ve done both of the things being discussed here. I hold a PfCO and OSC. I also train operators who are hoping to achieve their own OSC. OSCs are achieveable by operators with far less experience and complex hardware than many people believe because the CAA take a holistic approach to the applications.
Thank you for that information.
I have no urgent need for this currently but I would be interested in the process and potential pitfalls of any future applications.

Reactions: Graham Degg
Thank you for that information.
I have no urgent need for this currently but I would be interested in the process and potential pitfalls of any future applications.
Process is outlined in CAAs CAP722A released July 23rd (from memory). Can provide additional advice since the document provides pretty minimal information. http://eyeup.camera/consultancy-white-label/

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM