Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Parrot Anafi Thermal 4K Portable Drone vs Mavic 2 Enterprise Dual

Mavic Mac

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with the Parrot Anafi Thermal 4K Portable Drone and the Mavic 2 Enterprise Dual ?
If so, how do you feel they compared ?
Pros and cons of each ?
What were you using them for?
My primary use would be to get involved in DSAR. I know the M2 Dual can have a search light and speaker attached. How often are these options used ?
There is a major price difference between the two - what justifies this - the speaker & search light ?
The Anafi comes with extra batteries.

Any input will be appreciated
Thanks in advance for your reply

Does anyone have experience with the Parrot Anafi Thermal 4K Portable Drone and the Mavic 2 Enterprise Dual ?
If so, how do you feel they compared ?
Pros and cons of each ?
What were you using them for?
My primary use would be to get involved in DSAR. I know the M2 Dual can have a search light and speaker attached. How often are these options used ?
There is a major price difference between the two - what justifies this - the speaker & search light ?
The Anafi comes with extra batteries.

Any input will be appreciated
Thanks in advance for your reply
There's a few in-depth threads on this in the forum... and a few that have used both or strong experience with one or the other.
They'll chime in most likely.

I owned both, currently only the M2ED... but will aquire a 2nd Anafi-T or EVO2 Thermal, depending on specs & costs of EVO2.

In brief, the sensor resolution are both 160. Althogh the Anafi is a Lepton 3.5 vs a 3.0. The 3.5 provides advanced Radiometric images and use of Flir Tools for Post Dx analysis. The M2ED lacks adv Radiometric and not able to use Flir tools.

The M2ED uses Flir MSX to blend the RGB and Thermal in a non-adjustable layer. The Anafi-T uses their own proprietary RGB & Thermal overlay that is adjustable to optimize the image.

Personally, the M2ED is a better "structure platform" in total... radio, craft strength, 3rd party apps, etc. The Anafi is much lighter, more delicate, a bit more closed in FW and design. Althogh I feel Anafi has a better, higher Meg, RGB, adv radiometric, better RGB / Thermal layer, non-DJI NFZ frustration, and for autonomous flight... the stock Parrot app is better than the Go4 app, not comparing 3rd party tools.

Thread includes discussion of Anafi & Mavic Dual

Here is my own personal opinion. I own an Anafi Thermal and at work we have a Mavic ED.

Aircraft
  • The Mavic is the superior aircraft, but its not a clear cut win.
  • The price is more so yes expect a better aircraft.
  • The range is not even comparable, the Mavic's range is ridiculous, it can fly miles out with zero problems in connectivity, but Part 107's VLOS kind of defeats the range difference. But this long range from the Mavic also helps keep your connection strong in more heavy interference areas.
  • The Anafi Range while not stellar is fine since the aircraft is so small its very easy to lose VLOS with it at most ranges
  • The Mavic holds its position better than Anafi in hover
  • The Mavic's ADS is very useful for safety. On a couple of occasions the warning came from smaller airplanes that were quite low, but the ADS-B system warned me ahead of time enabling me to bring my aircraft down
  • The Anafi for some reason handles winds very well, probably better than the Mavic. My guess is less surface area to act as a sail?
  • The Mavic is faster, but for me that does not mean anything
  • Mavic has obstacle avoidance while Anafi has none
  • Mavic is easy to attach Anti-collision lights and Navigation lights to and has plenty of third party mounting options. The Anafi is so small, I found it some work to get the above lighting attached securely
  • Mavic has some useful attachments as you said with a Beacon, Speaker and Spotlight
  • There are so many third party options, we have a drop system on our Mavic that can drop a self inflating flotation device. The Anafi cannot support any payload other than its camera and small lighting
Flight Software

• DJI's Pilot is very polished and does not have a long learning curve
  • Settings make sense to me on how to use and where they are placed
  • Battery settings and information is great, you get temperature and cell health
  • Camera settings are adequate but the Mavic ED is not what to buy if you are doing photogrammetry or cinemetography.
  • Parrot Free Flight software is also polished and easy to use. Going back and forth between the two drones is not too hard.
  • Both keep flight logs and both files from those logs can be exported to popular Flight Log providers such as Drone Logbook
  • The thermal camera management for both drones is quite good but read to the thermal comparison part to get my opinion on this
Controller

• Mavic's stock controller is okay and will accept most phones with no problem. Thicker phones or phones in thick battery cases may not fit well
  • Using the Smart Controller with the Mavic is what makes this in my opinion a much better drone as in Emergency Response anything to help make it faster to launch is better
  • Mavic lets you setup the extra buttons to control functions such as taking the camera from Nadir to Zenith and turning on and off attachments and accessories
  • The Parrot Controller works well but lacks a power button. When you unfold it, it turns on
  • The Parrot Controller feels cheap compared to the Mavic but it does work well
  • Both can get attachments to support tablets, but the Smart Controller is what I use, while I use an iPad Pro 9.7 with the Anafi
  • The Anafi's phone mount can and has with other people have the phone pop out and then hit the sticks causing near accidents or accidents
Thermal camera

• The Anafi can swivel its camera 180 degrees and look up
  • The Mavic uses FLIR Lepton core 3.0 which is not advanced radiometric meaning it does not produce a JPEG-R that can be used in FLIR Tools for your post work
  • The Parrot uses FLIR Lepton 3.5 which is true Radiometric. Snap a picture and then do all of your emissivity, wind, humidity, ambient temp and T Rflec settings from the comfort of your office
  • Both thermals are only 160 resolution which is not going to be suitable for alot if not most situations, BUT the 160 thermals are better than no thermal and if you know their limitations, you can still do SAR and some thermography things such as roof scans, heat loss from buildings and of course firefighting (structural or wildland).
  • Both thermals will need to be under 150 ft to be able to find people in SAR along with other environment issues
  • Roof scans will need to be done 10 to 20 feet from the roof at the correct angle and time of day
  • The lack of resolution on both make trying to do any quantitative thermography futile as there is not simply the resolution to do so on anything small. the pixel will be too large with the POI bleeding into pixels making your temp reading not true
  • The Anafi uses the better Lepton core sensor and in my opinion integrates this sensor very well into its software
RGB camera

• The Anafi can swing its camera 180 degrees to be able to look up
  • The Anafi's camera is the better camera in specs, picture quality and different modes
  • Anafi 20 MP stills work well in Pix 4D, but be aware the 20 MP pictures are barrel or fish eyed. Pix 4D works around them, but these pictures need post work if you want to use them for other things
  • The Mavic while only having 12MP stills are still nice quality pictures and while playing around with ISO and apperature you can take some nice pictures
  • Both shoot 4K 30 fps video and I dont have a preference for either one
  • I use the Anafi for photogrammetry and it does take very good stills. It is a rolling shutter so you will need to slow down while doing you data acquisition. Pix4D can work around rolling shutter distortions
  • I have not used the Mavic ED for photogrammetry but when I try to use my Mavic Enterprise Zoom the results of Nadir stills are in my opinion terrible so far. I am still trying to change settings to achieve better results.
  • Anafi has a ton of flight and picture modes so that part is really no comparison
  • For some reason DJI took away the cool flight modes available in DJI Go from their enterprise drones
Battery

• In real world use I get similar times in the air with both aircraft being around 20 minutes. I try to have my birds on the ground at 15% minimum, but usually around 15 to 20%
  • Both are smart batteries, but the Mavics can accept firmware upgrades
  • The Mavics have alot more information available about their health, charge times and temperature
  • The Anafi's can be charged from almost anyplace you can hook up a USB-C to while the Mavic's go on its included 4 battery hub.
  • The Anafis charge all at once on its hub, while the Mavic charge in sequence one at a time
  • Both will auto discharge and sleep after nonuse, but the Mavics can be set when you want this to happen
  • The Mavics have a self heating function meaning this aircraft can operate at lower temps

Other

• The Mavic comes with a very professional case that will even hold the Smart Controller if you go that route
  • The Anafi comes in a nice sturdy lunch bag type holder so the Mavic looks that part for Enterprise or public safety
  • The Mavic and all things DJI are under attack right now on the Federal and even state level as a victim of the ongoing trade war. At my job we are unable at this time to plug any DJI product into the municipal network until further notice
  • It looks likely that Federal grant money will not be able to be used to buy DJI products in the near future
  • Both drones are very quick to deploy
  • The Mavic's propellers attach easier and require no tool
  • The Anafi is quieter and I find I can film events without disturbing people of the event itself
Photogrammetry

• The Anafi and Parrot have an affiliation with Pix4D so Pix4D Capture works great with it
  • The Mavic and most DJI drones are supported well by Pix4D Capture
  • The Anafi in a Youtube test of 3D modeling produced a much more accurate 3D model, with the Mavic Pro giving very poor results in lengths of items in the model, BUT this may have been fixed with firmware since the video is older and using Pix4D desktop with manual tie points and scale constraints will fix this, it may just be a problem when using Drone Deploy and Maps Made Easy since they are cloud based
  • The Anafi's 20 MP stills will produce better results
  • The Anafis built in Flight Mode can be used for mapping, but is no where neat optimal for this,, so use Pix4D capture
  • The Mavic's Mission planning has waypoints but also a mapping setting letting you set overlap and grids and works very well, its just its 12MP camera takes less than stellar nadir images (This may be me as I am still experimenting with camera settings such as focusing, ISO and aperture)
Firefighting

• Both will do well in most situations as fires will have such a delta T that you will easily see temperature differences in most situations
  • All thermals will need for the operator to understand proper angle so as to not get reflections and have to understand the limitations of thermal cameras
    • There are plenty of studies showing that fire under a roof may not be seen on a thermal until the underlying roof structure is past compromised
    • Understand that you must also look at gable vents and under the eaves especially in balloon type construction
  • In Hazmat where you may need an exact or quantitative temperature you must understand emissivity and reflection as well as your ambient temps, humidity and angle. An example is organic peroxides and their MSST (Temperature at which when they go over they will violently decompose)
  • In SAR know that you will need to be under 150 ft and have environmental conditions such as a day where the surroundings are not going to be the same temperature as a person
  • We had a lifeguard go out and swim around while we tried to pick them up with the Mavic. We could not see him unless we were under 150ft and from 150ft to 100 ft he could be easily missed if it was at night. We had a Matrice 210 with an XT2 640 also and it saw him easily at 200ft and we could even make out fingers (Or should I say finger!) he held out to us
  • As stated a low resolution thermal is better than no thermal, but understand that the Lepton has limitations

This is a bit off topic but check out these possibilities.
Yuneec 520 has swappable cameras and a 320 and 640 resolution FLIR Boson option
Autel Evo 2 will have FLIR 320 and 640 FLIR Boson options

Unknown if True radiometric will be available, but I think it will eventually

The higher resolution thermals will do everything better than the above Lepton cores so if you have time I would look at these promising options.

I have more but, I have to go and eat my turkey. Feel free to ask anything you want or contact me in private.

Here is my own personal opinion. I own an Anafi Thermal and at work we have a Mavic ED.

Aircraft
  • The range is not even comparable, the Mavic's range is ridiculous, it can fly miles out with zero problems in connectivity, but Part 107's VLOS kind of defeats the range difference. But this long range from the Mavic also helps keep your connection strong in more heavy interference areas.
  • The Anafi Range while not stellar is fine since the aircraft is so small its very easy to lose VLOS with it at most ranges
  • The Mavic's ADS is very useful for safety. On a couple of occasions the warning came from smaller airplanes that were quite low, but the ADS-B system warned me ahead of time enabling me to bring my aircraft down
  • The Anafi for some reason handles winds very well, probably better than the Mavic. My guess is less surface area to act as a sail?
  • Mavic is easy to attach Anti-collision lights and Navigation lights to and has plenty of third party mounting options. The Anafi is so small, I found it some work to get the above lighting attached securely
  • Mavic has some useful attachments as you said with a Beacon, Speaker and Spotlight
  • There are so many third party options, we have a drop system on our Mavic that can drop a self inflating flotation device. The Anafi cannot support any payload other than its camera and small lighting
Flight Software

• Battery settings and information is great, you get temperature and cell health
  • Camera settings are adequate but the Mavic ED is not what to buy if you are doing photogrammetry or cinemetography.
  • Parrot Free Flight software is also polished and easy to use. Going back and forth between the two drones is not too hard.
  • Both keep flight logs and both files from those logs can be exported to popular Flight Log providers such as Drone Logbook
  • The thermal camera management for both drones is quite good but read to the thermal comparison part to get my opinion on this
Controller

• Mavic's stock controller is okay and will accept most phones with no problem. Thicker phones or phones in thick battery cases may not fit well
  • Using the Smart Controller with the Mavic is what makes this in my opinion a much better drone as in Emergency Response anything to help make it faster to launch is better
  • Mavic lets you setup the extra buttons to control functions such as taking the camera from Nadir to Zenith and turning on and off attachments and accessories
  • The Parrot Controller works well but lacks a power button. When you unfold it, it turns on
  • Both can get attachments to support tablets, but the Smart Controller is what I use, while I use an iPad Pro 9.7 with the Anafi
  • The Anafi's phone mount can and has with other people have the phone pop out and then hit the sticks causing near accidents or accidents
Thermal camera

• The Mavic uses FLIR Lepton core 3.0 which is not advanced radiometric meaning it does not produce a JPEG-R that can be used in FLIR Tools for your post work
  • The Parrot uses FLIR Lepton 3.5 which is true Radiometric. Snap a picture and then do all of your emissivity, wind, humidity, ambient temp and T Rflec settings from the comfort of your office
  • Both thermals are only 160 resolution which is not going to be suitable for alot if not most situations, BUT the 160 thermals are better than no thermal and if you know their limitations, you can still do SAR and some thermography things such as roof scans, heat loss from buildings and of course firefighting (structural or wildland).
  • Both thermals will need to be under 150 ft to be able to find people in SAR along with other environment issues
  • Roof scans will need to be done 10 to 20 feet from the roof at the correct angle and time of day
  • The lack of resolution on both make trying to do any quantitative thermography futile as there is not simply the resolution to do so on anything small. the pixel will be too large with the POI bleeding into pixels making your temp reading not true
  • The Anafi uses the better Lepton core sensor and in my opinion integrates this sensor very well into its software
RGB camera

• The Anafi's camera is the better camera in specs, picture quality and different modes
  • Anafi 20 MP stills work well in Pix 4D, but be aware the 20 MP pictures are barrel or fish eyed. Pix 4D works around them, but these pictures need post work if you want to use them for other things
  • The Mavic while only having 12MP stills are still nice quality pictures and while playing around with ISO and apperature you can take some nice pictures
  • I use the Anafi for photogrammetry and it does take very good stills. It is a rolling shutter so you will need to slow down while doing you data acquisition. Pix4D can work around rolling shutter distortions
  • I have not used the Mavic ED for photogrammetry but when I try to use my Mavic Enterprise Zoom the results of Nadir stills are in my opinion terrible so far. I am still trying to change settings to achieve better results.
  • Anafi has a ton of flight and picture modes so that part is really no comparison
  • For some reason DJI took away the cool flight modes available in DJI Go from their enterprise drones
Battery

• In real world use I get similar times in the air with both aircraft being around 20 minutes. I try to have my birds on the ground at 15% minimum, but usually around 15 to 20%
  • The Mavics have alot more information available about their health, charge times and temperature
  • The Anafi's can be charged from almost anyplace you can hook up a USB-C to while the Mavic's go on its included 4 battery hub.
  • The Anafis charge all at once on its hub, while the Mavic charge in sequence one at a time
  • Both will auto discharge and sleep after nonuse, but the Mavics can be set when you want this to happen
  • The Mavics have a self heating function meaning this aircraft can operate at lower temps

Other

• The Mavic comes with a very professional case that will even hold the Smart Controller if you go that route
  • The Anafi comes in a nice sturdy lunch bag type holder so the Mavic looks that part for Enterprise or public safety
  • The Mavic and all things DJI are under attack right now on the Federal and even state level as a victim of the ongoing trade war. At my job we are unable at this time to plug any DJI product into the municipal network until further notice
  • It looks likely that Federal grant money will not be able to be used to buy DJI products in the near future
  • The Anafi is quieter and I find I can film events without disturbing people of the event itself
Photogrammetry

• The Anafi and Parrot have an affiliation with Pix4D so Pix4D Capture works great with it
  • The Anafi in a Youtube test of 3D modeling produced a much more accurate 3D model, with the Mavic Pro giving very poor results in lengths of items in the model, BUT this may have been fixed with firmware since the video is older and using Pix4D desktop with manual tie points and scale constraints will fix this, it may just be a problem when using Drone Deploy and Maps Made Easy since they are cloud based
  • The Anafis built in Flight Mode can be used for mapping, but is no where neat optimal for this,, so use Pix4D capture
  • The Mavic's Mission planning has waypoints but also a mapping setting letting you set overlap and grids and works very well, its just its 12MP camera takes less than stellar nadir images (This may be me as I am still experimenting with camera settings such as focusing, ISO and aperture)
Firefighting

• Both will do well in most situations as fires will have such a delta T that you will easily see temperature differences in most situations
  • All thermals will need for the operator to understand proper angle so as to not get reflections and have to understand the limitations of thermal cameras
    • There are plenty of studies showing that fire under a roof may not be seen on a thermal until the underlying roof structure is past compromised
    • Understand that you must also look at gable vents and under the eaves especially in balloon type construction
  • In Hazmat where you may need an exact or quantitative temperature you must understand emissivity and reflection as well as your ambient temps, humidity and angle. An example is organic peroxides and their MSST (Temperature at which when they go over they will violently decompose)
  • In SAR know that you will need to be under 150 ft and have environmental conditions such as a day where the surroundings are not going to be the same temperature as a person
  • We had a lifeguard go out and swim around while we tried to pick them up with the Mavic. We could not see him unless we were under 150ft and from 150ft to 100 ft he could be easily missed if it was at night. We had a Matrice 210 with an XT2 640 also and it saw him easily at 200ft and we could even make out fingers (Or should I say finger!) he held out to us
  • As stated a low resolution thermal is better than no thermal, but understand that the Lepton has limitations

The higher resolution thermals will do everything better than the above Lepton cores so if you have time I would look at these promising options.

I have more but, I have to go and eat my turkey. Feel free to ask anything you want or contact me in private.
Thank you for a very detailed comparison of the two - very much appreciated.

Thread includes discussion of Anafi & Mavic Dual

Thanks for the responses - much appreciated

Aircraft
Flight Software

Controller

Thermal camera

RGB camera

Battery

Other

Photogrammetry

Firefighting

Nice write up! Enjoyed it!
Your thermal section reflects the recent Flir sUAV class? Certainly a worthwhile time.

On a side tangent, I'd be intersted in hearing more on the Mavic drop system you mentioned and other 3rd party assets used with M2ED.

Question on camera angle.
You mentioned using Mavic RC buttons for camera gimbal control, but threw me on obtaining Nadir to Zenith. Anafi does 180 gimbal pitch, but as noted Mavic is limited to 20 upward. Are you referring to zenith as max up and not 90 straight up?

Nice write up! Enjoyed it!
Your thermal section reflects the recent Flir sUAV class? Certainly a worthwhile time.

On a side tangent, I'd be intersted in hearing more on the Mavic drop system you mentioned and other 3rd party assets used with M2ED.

Question on camera angle.
You mentioned using Mavic RC buttons for camera gimbal control, but threw me on obtaining Nadir to Zenith. Anafi does 180 gimbal pitch, but as noted Mavic is limited to 20 upward. Are you referring to zenith as max up and not 90 straight up?
Very good catch! On a side note your posts here and other places taught me alot about the Anafi and MED, and I thank you for it. You are a wealth of information on thermal sensors.

I confused the two drones in that sentence. Clarification is the Anafi has a reset button that will snap the gimbal back to horizontal or straight ahead and the MED will let you set the accessory buttons to different things. I set up the 3D button to go from either nadir to horizontal or vice versa.

And yes I did take the FLIR ITC class and while it was very expensive I learned alot and made some good contacts. The instructor was top notch and really knew the subject matter. I asked him straight up if these two drones have any use with roof scans and he said they do, but they should not be your first choice for that. They can do roof scans if you follow what you learned but keep in mind the lack of resolution and get close. He said small buildings would be okay, and while you can do large buildings as the concept is still the same there comes a time when you are wasting time and therefore money. He feels a 336 non radiometric is fine for roof scans, but if you can afford it get the 640 since it will open up other services you can offer, has the ability to be input into Pix 4D and will greatly increase your speed and efficiency. In class we used his Matrice 210 with an XT2 for our project and it was a dream to fly! He also let us use his highend handheld and that had even higher resolution (Forget what it was).

Reactions: jasnwatsn
Just as a side comment... it doesn't change anything... and it's a common vent.
You mention the XT2... that is a very nice, currently the best sUAV thermal for the prosumer market.

The Zenmuse XT2 is the FLIR Duo Pro R on a DJI integrated gimbal and firmware.
Great camera, but I fail to see the price difference: BlackFriday sales indicating a $1400 discount has DuoProR 640 depending on lens $3500 to 5200... so that's basically $5000 to $7000 on the full retail listing. The XT2 is a in the $11-17K as previous owned or sale, not even sure what actual retail price is.

The $6-12K difference is extreme for a gimbal integration. But in comparison to using the DuoProR on a gimbal and separate video setup is combersome and most elect the XT2.

If the EVO 2 can offer a 640 Standard or 640 Radiometric for a price well below the XT2... or basically the package EVO2, Thermal & separate camera gimbal that would shatter a market barrier untouched since DJI has controlled the Thermal with the XT series. I would also think it would cause a drop in XT2 prices, which might sting several XT2 Owners. Recall the Z30 price drop suddenly from $8K to $3K.... it's possible!

Reactions: jasnwatsn
Is the Mavic 2 Enterprise Dual compatible to fly with an Android device - read that it Requires iOS 10.0 or later.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaklein91