Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Part 107 question regarding sUAS Registration and Remote ID

bobmoore1954

Reaction score
Here's a question regarding Remote ID rules when they come into effect next year. Will I be able to fly, under Part 107, an unregistered sUAS under 0.55 lbs without remote ID?

Here's a question regarding Remote ID rules when they come into effect next year. Will I be able to fly, under Part 107, an unregistered sUAS under 0.55 lbs without remote ID?
Here is a quick answer: No. Unless you fly in a designated FAA-recognized identification areas (FRIAs).
But. you have your date wrong. Operational RID begins in Sept 2023. Manufacturers need to comply by Sept. 2022.

I did some more research, it appears any sUAS operated under Part 107 must be registered - even aircraft under 0.55 pounds. Agree?

I did some more research, it appears any sUAS operated under Part 107 must be registered - even aircraft under 0.55 pounds. Agree?

You are correct. There is no "Minimal Weight" when it comes to Commercial Registration. Any aircraft not flown solely for hobby purposes must be registered via the Part 107 portal. No exceptions.

Reactions: Recoveryone
I contacted the FAA. They confirmed that all sUAS, regardless of weight must be registered If flying under Part 107. And all sUAS flown under Part 107 will need to comply with Remote ID.

I contacted the FAA. They confirmed that all sUAS, regardless of weight must be registered If flying under Part 107. And all sUAS flown under Part 107 will need to comply with Remote ID.
Ummmm I'm with the FAA :)

FAA Safety Team Representative, Charlotte NC Region

RID doesn't go into effect until 2023. Remote ID goes by Classification not "use alone" as you could fly a Cat 1 Drone, Commercially, w/o RID (it would have to be registered though).

If your FAA person replied to you with that "simple" of an answer I would like you to PM me because we need to make sure everyone is getting the RIGHT and COMPLETE answer not something haphazard.

Reactions: Dave Pitman
Maybe wrong thread... clarification question.
(4/9/22) Anyone have info or best to move to seperate thread?

The Built in RID vs the add on Module RID.
Within the FAA's description, a point is made on the module RID that craft must remain VLOS; the Built-in RID doesn't list VLOS.

I Understood new BVLOS can be met, although based on RID verbiage, does that mean any new craft with RID built-in can meet use for BVLOS? I would think BVLOS would have additional requirements, that would supercede with addendum the RID initial description.

My initial assumption would be that a new DJI / Autel small craft (Air 2S, Lite+, etc) would not be able to meet BVLOS regardless of having RID.

I haven't really focused on all the RID discussion yet, hasn't been a primary matter yet... being 18+ months out. I was simply planning to use add-on modules (unknown components still) and continue operations in same manor as current... with VLOS.

Obtaining BVLOS appeared to be reserved for big companies, political approval, and specific designed crafts for BVLOS. The huge investments FedEx, Amazon, UPS, etc where beyond the abilities of a small 1 man shop.

Noticing the omission of the VLOS verbiage on the Built-In RID was curious to me when majority of "new" craft wouldn't meet BVLOS additional requirements. If I'm not misunderstanding: 1) why not stipulate same VLOS requirement for Built-in RID and have requirements of BVLOS stipulate the need to have RID too. 2) why is BVLOS limited to new craft with Built in RID? Some older specialized crafts may meet BVLOS other then lack of Built-In RID.

Last edited:
As long as I'm rambling on RID and that no clear "product" indication has been shown for Built-in by Manufacturers... has there been any 3rd Party or Originator Company ( DJI, Skydio, Autel, etc) electronics or components yet? I was assuming we'd start to see or have at least rumors what the companies were designing. I was assuming DJI would introduce a Add-on RID module(s) specifically for their Crafts... why not jump on that market, it'll be profitable out the gate for Retro-fit hardware.

Has anyone seen a add-on module yet discussed or displayed?

Also you need those registration number on the drone and easily visible.
Along that requirement... needs to be externally visible. No longer allowed inside battery well, etc. But visible means externally, but not a specific size or placement. No matter where it's placed it's not visible in air, so visible is "in-hand examined" without opening any cavity.

I personally do small size on belly. Large on arm or on top isn't desired.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerardH143