Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Part 107 Test/Recurrency go LIVE 4/6/21... Important notes . . .

Where do I apply for my $160 refund for the recurrency test I took in January? (Ha ha...)

Seriously - since I already passed my recurrent test in JAN, am I good to go with the new Night Flight/Over People/Over Moving Vehicle regs?? Or do I have to get certified again online??

In order to exercise the privs of the new rules you will have to take the Recurrency Training and the test at the end. Otherwise you continue to fly as you have been w/o the benefit of the new allowances..

Hi all,
My question is regarding the recurrent exam. My certificate doesn’t expire until 2/3/22, when I take the recurrent exam for night flight and flying over an assembly and pass, on this current date and year, will this now be my new expiration date ? Say 04/10/23 ? Or will it be an addendum to my current certification?

With any Aviation Currency the day you get a new currency (Training, Seminar, etc) will reset the Recurrency Calendar for your rating. For Part 107 it's 24 months.

So let's assume you take the Online Recurrency Training (and test and pass) today 4/10/21. Your Recurrency Calendar for Part 107 is reset to 24months. Keep in mind it's CALENDAR months so you would be legal/current with Part 107 THROUGH October 2023 which means you would have until midnight of April 30th, 2023 to fly legally.

With any Aviation Currency the day you get a new currency (Training, Seminar, etc) will reset the Recurrency Calendar for your rating. For Part 107 it's 24 months.

So let's assume you take the Online Recurrency Training (and test and pass) today 4/10/21. Your Recurrency Calendar for Part 107 is reset to 24months. Keep in mind it's CALENDAR months so you would be legal/current with Part 107 THROUGH October 2023 which means you would have until midnight of April 30th, 2023 to fly legally.
Thx Big Al07?
I’ll take that course & Exam. Foolish not too, when do we ever get a freebie from the FAA. HAHAHA.

Reactions: BigAl07
Hi all,
My question is regarding the recurrent exam. My certificate doesn’t expire until 2/3/22, when I take the recurrent exam for night flight and flying over an assembly and pass, on this current date and year, will this now be my new expiration date ? Say 04/10/23 ? Or will it be an addendum to my current certification?
The new expiration date resets to 24 calendar months after the last test you passed. This means that your recertification expires on the end of the month in which you last took the test, two years later. So, if you took (and passed) your test any time in April 2021, the new expiration date is 4/30/2023.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gcarb63
The new expiration date is two years later, and on the last day of the month in which you took your last recertification test. So, if you took your test anytime in April 2021, the expiration date is 4/30/2023.
Thx Props Up.

Where do I apply for my $160 refund for the recurrency test I took in January? (Ha ha...)

Seriously - since I already passed my recurrent test in JAN, am I good to go with the new Night Flight/Over People/Over Moving Vehicle regs?? Or do I have to get certified again online??
Unfortunately you have to take this new training.

Hi all,

It will be your new recurrent date that will allow you to use 107.29 which will be 04/30/23. All FAA certs are 24 calendar months that expire at the end of the month.

I would say the new recurrent option is training and testing as it does have an exam you need to pass to be re-certified.

I do get what you are saying though...

I myself was not ever going to go back and test for the recurrent certification. My original certificate expired in October 2019. I only took the part 107 test just for myself and not make money flying my drones. Was just on a whim to study and see if i could pass it. I still keep up with the FAA drone rules and such so when i got the email for this new recurrent training and exam for recurrent i went immediately to the link and got my new certification lol Well you know since it is free for us 107 holders. Thank you FAA!
Just a note, that, to my understanding, if your certification has lapsed, you must retake the first-time test, and not the recurrent test, to be properly certified. Not sure how they enforce this. It doesn’t appear that the website checks if your certification is current, before issuing the new certificate.

Edit: Thanks to Fred Garvin and Big Al for correcting me: It does not matter if your certification has lapsed. As long as you pass the recurrent test, you’re good for 24 calendar months.

Last edited:
Just a note, that, to my understanding, if your certification has lapsed, you must retake the first-time test, and not the recurrent test, to be properly certified. Not sure how they enforce this. It doesn’t appear that the website checks if your certification is current, before issuing the new certificate.

Not correct. You only need to do the recurrency to become "current" again. Your certification (or license) is for life. You only need to maintain currency.

Reactions: BigAl07 and Gcarb63
I'm totally confused. I completed the entire training course, followed the instructions to close out and ut just bring me back to the initial Safer Skies Through Education - FAA - FAASTeam - FAASafety.gov page. Any suggestions?? I re-clicked the blue starter button and it appears that it brings me back to the very first page of the training course. I was properly logged in the entire time.

ETA: Ok - I realized I only took the training portion and was expecting a certificate. I went ahead and took the actual 45 question test. Only missed 1! And it was a stupid mistake.

Last edited:
Not correct. You only need to do the recurrency to become "current" again. Your certification (or license) is for life. You only need to maintain currency.
That’s my understanding as well. Thx guys.

Hi all,
Yes, that is what I believe. I was Half way through my recurrecny, but my 107.29 waiver is being sunsetting with this new reg, so took it. It's FREE! Can anyone name me the last time the Gov gave out anything free....Except Cheese. :)

As noted this is 100% INCORRECT! You can be out of currency 1 week, 1 month, or 10 years and you'll just need to establish Currency with whatever is required at that time. For Part 107, right now, it's merely taking ALC-677 the Online Training Module for Part 107 Recurrency.

Hi all,

Your certificate does not expire. When you take the recurrent test, that resets your currency and that's good until the end of the month, 24 months later. There will be no changes to your certificate.

From my understanding, if you are current already, you have to take the online training to be "up to date" with your currency. Please correct me if I'm wrong. It's not a biggie...Questions covering what you were tested on in Jan. There are questions now concerning night vision, and the different "categories" of flight over people. All good info to learn. Yea, I wish there was a refund button too..lol...I tested in March when they delayed the online!!

@Gcarb63 Your new date will be 24months from the date you pass the recurrent training..Yes, 4/10/23

Last edited:
This is a dumb question, but I just realized I do not know the answer, or may have misunderstood some things so I will ask. (please go easy on me!)

(Background, my part 107 expired last January so I paid the $160 and took the test at the local testing center before the new online course became available.)

Question: for someone starting from scratch, do they still have to take/pass the $160 test at the test center? Is the online course/test only for recurrency? I am asking for a friend (really!) who wants to get his part 107 and I had been assuming he just needed to do the online course as of the spring rule changes, but now that I'm looking more closely, it still seems like first-timers have to do the expensive test? I appreciate if anyone can clear this up for me.

Thanks!

Curt.

Reactions: BigAl07
This is a dumb question, but I just realized I do not know the answer, or may have misunderstood some things so I will ask. (please go easy on me!)

(Background, my part 107 expired last January so I paid the $160 and took the test at the local testing center before the new online course became available.)

Question: for someone starting from scratch, do they still have to take/pass the $160 test at the test center? Is the online course/test only for recurrency? I am asking for a friend (really!) who wants to get his part 107 and I had been assuming he just needed to do the online course as of the spring rule changes, but now that I'm looking more closely, it still seems like first-timers have to do the expensive test? I appreciate if anyone can clear this up for me.

Thanks!

Curt.
Your initial test must be done in person ... see this page ...

Become a Drone Pilot

Thanks!

Curt.

Initial Test is still "in Person" at a testing facility and IIRC it's now $175ish.

Recurrency Training (it does include a test) is online and FREE.

Thanks, I appreciate the clarification on this. I only worry about this every other year, so I'm not an expert in the process, especially for how it looks to a true first-time pilot.

Can I ask a follow up question. I'm trying to coach/encourage a colleague to go take the part 107 test to be certified. The last two times I took the test, I did most of my studying by watching a great free youtube tutorial/test prep video:
But this video is going on 4 years old now and I'm worried it's not as current as it could be? Last time I took the test I missed a couple questions on material I had never seen or heard of before, and I've been doing this since the COA days when you had to pass the private pilot written test. Anyway ... I'm just complaining. :) Maybe I'm just getting forgetful in my old age, that's probably a better explanation. :)

I know there are paid courses that are good (King, Gold Seal, etc.) My coworker is not an aviation person. Can any one recommend solid tutorial/prep/study resources that are geared for true first-time pilots?

Thanks in advance,

Curt.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM