Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Part 107 Test - Suggestions Please

Just rolled in and fired up the laptop - it was a 4 hour drive, round trip for a 3:30 test. Got a 95! Missed 3 questions. One was really stupid of me - the way it was worded got me. It was about the 55 pound limit of UAV. Dumb. Another question vaguely asked about the height of tallest terrestrial object 'generally north' of an airport. I got a little too wide in my search. The third question was multiple guess.

When I get some time I'll add all of the resources that I used to study to this thread in case it can be of help to others.

Congrats, welcome to the club!

Just rolled in and fired up the laptop - it was a 4 hour drive, round trip for a 3:30 test. Got a 95! Missed 3 questions. One was really stupid of me - the way it was worded got me. It was about the 55 pound limit of UAV. Dumb. Another question vaguely asked about the height of tallest terrestrial object 'generally north' of an airport. I got a little too wide in my search. The third question was multiple guess.

When I get some time I'll add all of the resources that I used to study to this thread in case it can be of help to others.

Good going. "the highest terrestrial object"was that in regard to a Sectional?

Thank you! It was on a sectional. I was paraphrasing 'highest terrestrial object' because I couldn't come up with the word 'terrain' at the moment. Highest point of terrain.

This sounds a bit discouraging. You are taking your test Tuesday and looking for study material now ! I don't mean to sound discouraging but you really have to know what you are doing when it comes to this test. I noticed one or two questions that was mentioned in the FAA Study Guide. There is a lot of material that you have to understand. You are going to be given scenarios that you will have to fully understand that will dive into several classes of subject matter. I took a course along with my own research for 6 months. I passed with a 90 and I just signed up with Gold Seal to further my education for my renewal next year. Y strongly suggest that you postpone your test, that is allowable and you will not forfeit your $150.oo. Just be sure token your registration number. Take a course and absorb as much as you can. You will know when you are saturated and then take your test. If you have a good handle on the material the answers will come right to you as soon as you start the test and you will totally relax and be quite comfortable through the rest of the test.

Thanks. I'll check out Gold Seal and remember not to get discouraged.

Tony Northrup has an excellent YouTube tutorial along with a helpful study guide, both free. Also, the 3DR website has a free 130 question sample test that's representitive of the actual test.

Great suggestion. I sat through it after trying the sample test for the first time. I listened to it again on my drive to the test.

I found the Northrup video through a mention on this video:

It's 2 hours long and gets in depth on answering 160 questions. I found this to be the most helpful.

Suggestion for those studying for the test - don't watch this video or the one by Northrup until you've been through the study guide at least a couple of times and tried taking the sample test at least once.

Thank you! It was on a sectional. I was paraphrasing 'highest terrestrial object' because I couldn't come up with the word 'terrain' at the moment. Highest point of terrain.

Glad you clarified that, I thought they were asking questions about Astronomy and figured, there goes my renewal.

Congrats Chris! I would agree with others who have mentioned the 3DR test. I think it was 130 or more questions, broken into groups of 10, and you grade them right away.
It helped me with alot of understanding.

Just passed the part 107 this morning with a 93%! Wanted to share my experience since this forum has been a big help to me. First off, the exam was much harder than expected. I had read others say you need to UNDERSTAND the concepts, not just know the rules. I underestimated that statement. Several questions were situation based, many of which were about tower inspections and altitude limits. For example, if you were hired to inspect a tower located on map here, and were flying at the maximum allowed altitude, what airspace authorization is required. You had to cross AGL/ MSL, know the airspace, how to read a chart, all for one questions. Another thing I noticed was that if you pay attention, some questions will help you answer other questions. Use all your resources. There was at least one question that I did not know, but was able to use the testing supplement to answer correctly. I did only self study with free materials and practice tests, but there were less than 5 questions that I had actually seen in all the practice tests. In addition to the FAA study guide, become very familiar with the testing supplement. I did not spend enough time studying the advisory circular. There is also a 3 page part 107 summary that i found just a day or two ago that got me at least one correct answer. I got several questions about required visibility and required distance from clouds that were not in the study guide. There were a few "trick" questions where they provided unnecessary extra information in the question which I did not expect on this test. Also, don't ignore all the weather acronyms in the study guide.

Here are my top two study/ practice sites:
https://3dr.com/faa/drone-practice-tests/
Helping Individuals and Businesses Navigate Drone Law

Good luck to whoever is next!

Passed this morning with a 97% after a 28 minute testing session. Used uavgroundschool.com to study. Great course and it obviously got me where I needed to go.

Congrats :)

Welcome to the Commercial Drone Pilots forum. We are glad to have you on board. I'm confident you'll find lots of helpful and enlightening information throughout this forum.

If you haven't already done so, consider adding your LOCATION to your forum profile to help us know where you are when you post suggestions or ask for assistance. It helps a lot more than you might think especially because this is an international forum with members from all parts of the world. Here's a direct link to yours:

https://commercialdronepilots.com/account/personal-details

Allen

Good Job! I missed 4 (93) and like you I felt so stupid when I looked at the areas and questions I missed. I knew the answers but either let the wording stump me or missed something on the sectionals that I shouldn't have. Again Congrats!

I use RemotePilot101.com This guy is a FAA Instructor and gives you a lot of very good info and references to use to study and gives you a sample 60 question test.
I thought the course was a great course and I went through the whole thing twice. Passed the 107 on the first attempt however there were plenty of questions on the test that were not covered by this course. If I had a great memory I would go back to them with lots of questions but I didn’t. You can go back and go through the course again when it comes time for renewals but I also I’m going to find other study material to use just to cover those unheard of questions

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerardH143