Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Part 107 training

karnevilklown

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Im new to the site but have been flying for about 5 years with a p3p. Also i started my private pilot course about 4 years ago but had to quit before i finished due to funds. i had about 36 hours of flight time before it suddenly came to an end. I have been wanting to go back and finish but funds are still short. i know i will have to do most of the hours over again to refresh myself on all the knowledge i gained. With that said, I've been wanting to get my part 107 for a while but have just been putting it off. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to which is the best online course to take or how ever everyone has done it. any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again

Hello everyone. Im new to the site but have been flying for about 5 years with a p3p. Also i started my private pilot course about 4 years ago but had to quit before i finished due to funds. i had about 36 hours of flight time before it suddenly came to an end. I have been wanting to go back and finish but funds are still short. i know i will have to do most of the hours over again to refresh myself on all the knowledge i gained. With that said, I've been wanting to get my part 107 for a while but have just been putting it off. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to which is the best online course to take or how ever everyone has done it. any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again

I've taken the Gleim course for PP written test twice, as well as RP test twice. They're reasonable in price. I also used Dauntless Aviation's tool. It's a different learning/testing format with different graphics, etc., but found it to be a good supplement.

Reactions: skiptv
I use and highly suggest Gold Seal UAV Groundschool. Not only have they set the bar VERY high they are also a sponsor here on the forum so their support helps to keep this forum running and for FREE for the rest of us.

They are FAA Flight Instructors who teach you the subject matter as opposed to teaching you how to pass the test. Coming from your PPL training I think you'll find Gold Seal to be a very good "fit" fo you.

Also their membership is LIFETIME and if you don't pass the test they refund that $$ for you. That's a WIN-WIN.

Gold Seal – Pass Your Drone Test or We’ll Pay For It

Reactions: LUIS MARTINEZ
So you had prior flight training? Did you take the part 61 exam? If you did, you passed, and you remember most of that, then I wouldn't waste time or money paying for an expensive online course. The weather, airspace and some of the regulation questions on the part 107 are the same or similar to the part 61. There were some things on the 107 that are very specific to sUAS, but most of them were common sense questions. I actually used two things to help me study for those and both were free. First I used the resources at 3dr to study and take practice exams. Just go to their website 3dr.com and scroll all the way to the bottom and look in RESOURCES for FAA Training. The other thing I used was an app from ASA Prepware. It was relatively cheap and I got it in the app store. I liked it the best because it not only let me take practice tests but it also let me study each individual module of the test material and gave me instant feedback when I got a question wrong, with an explanation of the answer. That way you aren't just studying to a test, you are actually studying the material. Having that feature encouraged me to do a search for more information on it rather than trying to remember the answers to the questions. I used that app right up till just before I went in to take my test. I sat in the parking lot and took two practice tests while I was waiting to go into the testing center. I will say though that not all the questions in either 3dr or Prepware are worded exactly the way they were on my 107 exam. There were also some questions that I had in my exam that I had never seen in any of the prep questions or any class.

I did actually sit in a 107 prep class. It was a one day class and it was free through my work. The instructor was very good, but in the end I have to say that I didn't learn anything in the class that I didn't already know from my own studying and using 3dr or Prepware.

Here is what I would suggest; Go to 3dr and take their practice test. If you score 85 or better, don't go out and pay for any class or software, just do some brush up yourself using free online resources, and then go take the exam. If you take the practice test and you score less than 70 then you probably need to either do some really intense self study or you might need a class whether online or in person.

Take your time. Learn the material through all of the free info on the internet. Then go to 3DR and take some of their free practice tests to evaluate where you are. If you can pass those free tests you are ready for the real deal. The test is really not that hard if you take the time too learn the material. In my case, the questions on my test were very similar to what I saw on the practice tests at 3DR. I passed with a score of 97 with no prior knowledge. Not boastingv, jist tryibg to say that it is not as daunting a task as you might think if you are willing to take the time to learn the material.

I think for some people it is intimidating because they have in their mind that "I am paying $150 to take a test and if I don't pass I have lost the money and have to pay again to re-test." I have been in that situation before as well. I have a test right now that my work paid $650 for me to take and I feel real confident that I know the material and have passed all the practice tests, but still it is in the back of my mind that if I am not in the right frame of mind on test day I could screw the pooch.

You have obviously taken ground school since you have 36 hrs towards your private. Download the 107 material from the FAA and study it. Since you aren't current you will need to take the 107 exam, but it is pretty easy.
It is a shame you didn't get your private being so close.

Reactions: BigAl07
You have obviously taken ground school since you have 36 hrs towards your private. Download the 107 material from the FAA and study it. Since you aren't current you will need to take the 107 exam, but it is pretty easy.
It is a shame you didn't get your private being so close.

You read my mind.

I'll take it one step further, getting my PPL was one of the biggest rewards of my life. Very few things give such a great feeling of freedom, accomplishment, and being ALIVE as saying, "Oh I can fly there myself".

While I do agree you'll need some refresher courses etc I do sincerely hope you'll decide to get back into it and get your PPL. You won't regret it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlisonChar