Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Part 108

EMS

Reaction score
I saw a post on one of my Facebook groups that they were talking about a proposed part 108 license that would allow you to fly BVLOS. Has anybody heard any new news about this as all I can find are things from last year.

Reactions: SkyTec
I saw a post on one of my Facebook groups that they were talking about a proposed part 108 license that would allow you to fly BVLOS. Has anybody heard any new news about this as all I can find are things from last year.
It might be in the wind. I just took part in a public feedback forum for Transport Canada. They are looking at a number of changes to the Regs including BVLOS in certain situations. One of the most useful ones is Sheltered operations - like real estate photography where a pilot may fly around a building and lose sight of the drone for a few moments.
After getting feedback, they will put new rules in place to take effect next year sometime.

Part 108 was mentioned in the BVLOS Aviation Rulemaking Committee's report.

It's a possible (likely?) additional certification for extended BVLOS operations like inspections and deliveries.

As of now, the FAA is on the beginning stages of determining viability.

I'm always a little skeptical about information from Facebook, but after reading this string and googling the subject, it's obviously real. I had not seen or heard of this before now. Exciting for the possibilities, but knowing the pace of the FAA and our government in general, I don't look for it to happen within this senior's remaining flying years.

I'm always a little skeptical about information from Facebook, but after reading this string and googling the subject, it's obviously real. I had not seen or heard of this before now. Exciting for the possibilities, but knowing the pace of the FAA and our government in general, I don't look for it to happen within this senior's remaining flying years.
It'll be here sooner than we think since much of the BVLOS is being driven by industry - delivery, pipeline and powerline inspections including law enforcement, 1st responders, etc.
My favorite is the new rule for mapping/inspections that will allow a pilot to fly up to 2 nautical miles away called "Extended VLOS". That would cover just about any mapping/surveying task I might undertake.
Don Joyce has a Youtube channel and represents the Canadian RPAS delegation that regularly meets with Transport Canada to work on regs. He has a summary of the new regs under consideration here:

I would imagine the FAA and TC are talking with each other about possible upcoming changes to the rules in both countries.

It'll be here sooner than we think since much of the BVLOS is being driven by industry - delivery, pipeline and powerline inspections including law enforcement, 1st responders, etc.
My favorite is the new rule for mapping/inspections that will allow a pilot to fly up to 2 nautical miles away called "Extended VLOS". That would cover just about any mapping/surveying task I might undertake.
Don Joyce has a Youtube channel and represents the Canadian RPAS delegation that regularly meets with Transport Canada to work on regs. He has a summary of the new regs under consideration here:

I would imagine the FAA and TC are talking with each other about possible upcoming changes to the rules in both countries.
Recently had to complete 10 miles of pipeline inspection in the Texas sun with 102 degrees temperatures. That 2 nautical miles extended BVLOS would have made for a shorter and more efficient day.

Reactions: Wanderlost

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164