Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Permits

hedbonker

Reaction score
I do not do RE work nor do I intend to. But I am interested in how the folks that do it deal with permits. I actually never do business in the city I live in since the city government is so rapacious I am unwilling to give them a penny of my money. For example, they charge $600 / day for a filming permit. Now it's my understanding that most real estate jobs pay $100-$500 on average. What do you get for paying $600/day for your permit? Nothing. You get the privilege of paying the city $600. A few years ago I asked City Hall if they planned to update this onerous permit policy to accommodate single operators of drones doing things like RE work and their attitude was "we don't care - FU pay me". I expected as much really. I actually tried to challenge them on weddings asking if they make a point of sending the police around to every wedding in town to ensure that the still and videographers had their $600 permit. They had no answer of course.

So for you folks that do real estate work do you get a permit for every day that you do the work? Or do you just go and shoot the job and move on?

In this city, filming without the permit is an infraction that carries a fine of $250. I suppose if I were doing business here I would eschew the permit and risk the infraction since it's less than half of the fee of the permit.

Just curious :)

Reactions: NERS 101
In this city, filming without the permit is an infraction that carries a fine of $250. I suppose if I were doing business here I would eschew the permit and risk the infraction since it's less than half of the fee of the permit.

Sounds like you are talking about NYC. It just shows the stupidity and lack of common sense of those who established the city drone laws. I predict the drone laws will be totally ignored by all but a few. Great way to get people to comply, City Hall.

Reactions: hedbonker
I think that the intention is to target the movie industry, since that can be very disruptive, as those here well know from the filming of swordfish, what a fiasco that was.
but more to your point, the ordinance is not very clear about commercial video production.

A friend of mine does RE work, I will ask him and let you know.
Yeah I know that they want to target Hollywood productions basically but they leave it open such that a videographer shooting a wedding at the beach is now liable for that $1500 fee - Not a reasonable thing but these cities all seem to refuse to differentiate if you ask them directly.

I checked with my friend who does RE work, he says he never shoots video, only stills.
not the best solution but it seems to work for him.

I checked with my friend who does RE work, he says he never shoots video, only stills.
not the best solution but it seems to work for him.
Yeah a lot of places will have an exception for stills only. But as soon as you mention video it's time to bend over.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerardH143