Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Person manipulating the controls

Don Miguel

Reaction score
Hi All,
I’m looking for clarity on “the person manipulating the controls”, Operating under the direct supervision of the RPIC. I see nothing in the language of part 107 that prohibits a 15 year old from operating as the person manipulating the controls, yet I have run into roadblocks over this issue. I even went to the FAA UAS help desk for clarity,but only got contradictory messages there.
What is the understanding in this community regarding requirements for the person manipulating the controls?

Thanks for any input.

Reactions: BigAl07
Hi All,
I’m looking for clarity on “the person manipulating the controls”, Operating under the direct supervision of the RPIC. I see nothing in the language of part 107 that prohibits a 15 year old from operating as the person manipulating the controls, yet I have run into roadblocks over this issue. I even went to the FAA UAS help desk for clarity,but only got contradictory messages there.
What is the understanding in this community regarding requirements for the person manipulating the controls?

Thanks for any input.
§107.12 Requirement for a remote pilot certificate with a small UAS rating.
(a) Except as provided in paragraph (c) of this section, no person may manipulate the flight controls of a small unmanned aircraft system unless:
(1) That person has a remote pilot certificate with a small UAS rating issued pursuant to subpart C of this part and satisfies the requirements of §107.65; or
(2) That person is under the direct supervision of a remote pilot in command and the remote pilot in command has the ability to immediately take direct control of the flight of the small unmanned aircraft.
(b) Except as provided in paragraph (c) of this section, no person may act as a remote pilot in command unless that person has a remote pilot certificate with a small UAS rating issued pursuant to Subpart C of this part and satisfies the requirements of §107.65.

If you are hold a 107 certificate you need to be operating a dual control setup that allows you to immediately override the persons inputs or you need to be able to take the controller from him/her and assume command of the aircraft if something goes wrong. It does not matter who is operating the aircraft as long as a person holding a 107 cert is within arms distance at all times. If anything goes wrong, you are still liable for any damages or injury. Pretty plain now?

First off WELCOME to the forum :)

Hi All,

Thanks for any input.

The RPIC holder can "allow" another person to manipulate the controls as already stated above. That how we TEACH others to fly sUAS in the first place.

It's not very efficient/productive from a Commercial/Business stand point to have a RPIC standing over top of the other person just to avoid the Part 107 requirement. While it "can" be done it's just not a good business move.

Keep in mind the RPIC has to be there, observing and within arm's reach in order to fulfill the requirements. The RPIC can't be around the corner, in the equipment shed, taking a whizz etc. They must be right there and with enough situational awareness to be able to physically take over control and fly the aircraft safely in a controlled manner. The RPIC would be there in what I would call an "Instructor" type role due to the proximity requirement.

Thanks R Martin and BigA107.
You have confirmed my reading of the rule.

Don Miguel

Just for future reference for anyone reading this thread: Even though I feel VERY confident in my answers ( I don't do WAG method) you should always confirm your responses with an official source before putting your company/license/wallet on the line. We have the best of intentions (most of us) here to give you the best and most accurate advice possible but we are not legal representation and do not have a vested interest in the problems we are trying to help resolve. Take all of our advice with a grain of salt and don't take it as Official unless it's cited via an official source.

Safe flights :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StewR