Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Photo and Video Permission

BenMcCormick

Reaction score
So here I am, 2 weeks in Perth Australia, Yea. Long Flight for these old bones.
Anyway, The better half could not make the trip here so I thought I would do a mini travel log of my arrival.
I was going to do a "fly through", holding the Mavic Air (motors off, in Camera mode) coming in the front door, though the vacant lobby and into the elevator for the opening scene. I asked permission of the front desk and was told that I could only do that if my wife was the only person viewing the video. Any social media posting would be a violation of some sort. I asked if I could make it a private, not public, posting for my families viewing only and was told No. I would have to ask central office for permission.
In conclusion, if one is going on a trip/vacation (My first in over 12 years) be aware that corporate minds do not want videographers taping their property and posting it on social media. If I had known that, I wouldn't be posting this message.
Then again, this might have been mentioned in a previous post, sorry about that in advance.

So here I am, 2 weeks in Perth Australia, Yea. Long Flight for these old bones.
Anyway, The better half could not make the trip here so I thought I would do a mini travel log of my arrival.
I was going to do a "fly through", holding the Mavic Air (motors off, in Camera mode) coming in the front door, though the vacant lobby and into the elevator for the opening scene. I asked permission of the front desk and was told that I could only do that if my wife was the only person viewing the video. Any social media posting would be a violation of some sort. I asked if I could make it a private, not public, posting for my families viewing only and was told No. I would have to ask central office for permission.
In conclusion, if one is going on a trip/vacation (My first in over 12 years) be aware that corporate minds do not want videographers taping their property and posting it on social media. If I had known that, I wouldn't be posting this message.
Then again, this might have been mentioned in a previous post, sorry about that in advance.

I seriously doubt they would have imposed the same requirements had you videoed with your phone.

I didn't even mention "Drone", why go there. I specifically asked permission to video tape me entering the lobby, going to the elevator.
I've seen YouTubers do this before with their Osmo II Gimbal/Cell Phone/GoPro, as I'm not that inventive. I thought it was a very cool intro.
I have both a cell phone and hat GoPro. Sometimes it's better to ask for forgiveness rather than permission, but what the heck. The right thing would be to contact corporate and ask permission.

Actually my post was a knee jerk reaction to the receptionist. Corporate might say ok. See, this is the trouble I get into without my better half..

Update: Just called corporate and they will get back to me. Don't want to make a tempest in a teapot.

Last edited:
As a side note, I went to the completely vacant pool area and did a fly around (motors off, camera on) before going to the lobby.
When I did launch, showing a view above the pool (no roof here) there were pigeons flying around.
I didn't realize how aggressive pigeons can be. I didn't stay up there very long as the were dive bombing the Mavic Air and I'm pretty sure the pigeons would win.

As a side note, I went to the completely vacant pool area and did a fly around (motors off, camera on) before going to the lobby.
When I did launch, showing a view above the pool (no roof here) there were pigeons flying around.
I didn't realize how aggressive pigeons can be. I didn't stay up there very long as the were dive bombing the Mavic Air and I'm pretty sure the pigeons would win.
Just curious - and how did you do that - 'a fly around (motors off, camera on)' ?

I'm not literally flying, but moving the drone with its motors powered off around the pool as if I am, but at a low altitude. There have been YouTube videos of people splicing a drone shot, hand flying through the house, then flying out the back. There is a plastic handheld device that holds the drone and camera at the same time. The drones camera/gimbel is a really good platform, even when not flying.

I'm not literally flying, but moving the drone with its motors powered off around the pool as if I am, but at a low altitude. There have been YouTube videos of people splicing a drone shot, hand flying through the house, then flying out the back. There is a plastic handheld device that holds the drone and camera at the same time. The drones camera/gimbel is a really good platform, even when not flying.
I knew what you meant - just a little friendly jab ?
Were you hand holding it or did you have it on a gimbal - if hand held how smooth did it come out ?

Hand holding it. The only time I use the plastic piece of the device was to mount my 360 gear and wire grappler to get a prop guard off the roof. But I need both hands, one for the MA and the other for the controller. If I needed one hand operation, the the device makes sense. I vaguely remember that there was a setting somewhere to record sound also with the MA? Too busy to process videos, so thats what I'm going to do today, so I can't answer how it looks.
Luckily, I'm in areas where airmap says its safe to fly. This morning I was out at sunrise and had the beach to myself. Sunrise here is at 5AM. I don't miss the cold.

I asked permission of the front desk and was told that I could only do that if my wife was the only person viewing the video.
The casual observer (including me) would confidently conclude that the front-desk person was talking out their rear end. Paramount to ordering take-out and the restaurant owner telling you you're the only one who can eat it. People gonna people.:rolleyes:

Reminiscent of a Seinfeld episode.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM