Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Photography

R.Perry

Reaction score
What do we use our drones for?
Most of use them for taking pictures. From some of the pictures I’ve seen from drones, many need a little better understanding of photography.
I’ll be the first to say I still have a lot to learn, as I’m sure many others on this forum do.
I also know there are some folks on here that are either professionals or very well versed.
I would love to see a Photography forum dealing primarily with UAV photography.

This is a good idea. I'm a sem-retired photographer who couldn't resist a flying camera any longer. My immediate interest is stills, but videos could be a future activity. Biggest obstacle is finding launch/landing spots near locations that might yield photos with sales potential, but I'm working on that issue daily.

Good idea.

It takes a LOT to build and keep a dedicated forum going. This one, for example, is specialized and it doesn't have the following some of the other more "general" forums have. None the less, I'll run this idea up the flag pole and see what the site owners have to say.

Allen

Good idea.

It takes a LOT to build and keep a dedicated forum going. This one, for example, is specialized and it doesn't have the following some of the other more "general" forums have. None the less, I'll run this idea up the flag pole and see what the site owners have to say.

Allen
Thanks, Allen. I'm a bit surprised that there isn't more activity here, with all the posts about part 107 elsewhere. Like the OP, I think photos and videos are the main interest of many fliers.

Reactions: BigAl07
Like "Ranger", I am a semi-retired pro photographer, with about 40 years experience under my belt. I'd be glad to answer questions regarding anyone's imaging issues. I am regularly capturing requested drone shots for a Detroit-area business news publication. My Photoshop processing skill set is always a work in progress, as it should be, but I have found good tools to enhance the quality of any raw image output, and can share advice upon request.

Maybe we can have the Admin create a Photography section added to this particular forum as opposed to a whole new forum for Photography....

Thoughts?

Maybe we can have the Admin create a Photography section added to this particular forum as opposed to a whole new forum for Photography....

Thoughts?

That is a great idea. As we can see, there are some professional photographers that I know could be a tremendous help to all of us that want to improve our photographic or video skills. I have taken many courses on photography but I'm only an amateur.
As an example, when I started shooting videos for our client, I shot them in 4k. Sounds good, right. Do you know how large a four to five minute video is in 4k. First of my client didn't have 4k monitors, and secondly they didn't like file size. Not only that my first videos left a lot to be desired. We can all learn from our mistakes but if we have people that can help us limit those mistakes it can be a tremendous help. A while back I posted a video because I wanted some feedback, and I received some excellent advice that I'm now putting to use.

LARA images - I really like Your thinking of the drone as a tripod. I will more look at myself as a photographer who can fly drones because my customers only are interested in the result of my flying i.e. the photo or the video. Not saying that the safe and lawfully flying isn't important.
I will welcome every good advice and discussion about shutter speed, aperture and ISO and also if there are opportunities there it is better using automode instead of manual. Is it for instance better to use automode when the sun comes and goes between the clouds when your drone is out on a mapping job?

Reactions: LARA images
Ok we have a dedicated PHOTOGRAPHY section now. I hope you all use it and tell EVERYONE one who you think can contribute to it about it. This could be an AWESOME section....

I really appreciate this and look forward to learn from all the clever photographers we have in our group.

That is a great idea. As we can see, there are some professional photographers that I know could be a tremendous help to all of us that want to improve our photographic or video skills. I have taken many courses on photography but I'm only an amateur.
As an example, when I started shooting videos for our client, I shot them in 4k. Sounds good, right. Do you know how large a four to five minute video is in 4k. First of my client didn't have 4k monitors, and secondly they didn't like file size. Not only that my first videos left a lot to be desired. We can all learn from our mistakes but if we have people that can help us limit those mistakes it can be a tremendous help. A while back I posted a video because I wanted some feedback, and I received some excellent advice that I'm now putting to use.
@R.Perry
Not sure if you know this?
There is a free app called HandBrake, in which you can take your 4k file convert to 1920x1080.
I do this with all my files, this way I can use it with my video editors, (CyberLink PhotoDirect or Movavi), when producing videos for clients.

Even though I have 2 year old gaming computer, 4k would slow it down.
I also recommend GOMPLAYER (free) to view in 4K before any editing. With this app you can capture images from you video.

I video all my projects and then use GOMPLAYER to capture images, so this way I don't have to worry about what picture I might have missed.
Stills are great, but what if you missed that one special shot you could have captured on video?

On my website every picture you see comes from videos, and again using GOMPLAYER I capture that particular image.
All my clients are extremely happy.

Think about it, 30 frames a second x 60 seconds, that's 1,800 possible images you can pick from in one minute of video.
I just purchased AirMagic, good app for a quick look from raw DNG files looking beautiful.

@R.Perry
Not sure if you know this?
There is a free app called HandBrake, in which you can take your 4k file convert to 1920x1080.
I do this with all my files, this way I can use it with my video editors, (CyberLink PhotoDirect or Movavi), when producing videos for clients.

Even though I have 2 year old gaming computer, 4k would slow it down.
I also recommend GOMPLAYER (free) to view in 4K before any editing. With this app you can capture images from you video.

I edit all my videos with Corel Video editor, works for me. I convert all my videos to 1920x1080. The problem with capturing a photo off of a video you lose resolution. I shoot all my photos at 20 Mp, especially panos, that way my client can zoom in on certain areas and still get decent resolution. Also dependent on the lighting I have on any particular day I can set my ISO, shutter speed, and aperture for the existing conditions.

Personally I wish I could do all my shoots on cloudy days, but in California that isn't likely even in the winter.

As for editing photos, I shoot on average 300 photos a day, there is no way I'm going to edit them.

On interior real estate that I have done I obviously edit them because I will have several layers to blend with HDR. However I have given up on real estate, too cheap.

Yes I agree you loose resolution when dumping down to 1920x1080.
With GomPlayer I can capture directly from 4k and save image at 3840x2160.
I interpreted my formatting wrong. I only use Handbrake 1920x1080 for video only.
My images/pictures stay at 4k.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roy thellmann