Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Photos to find property boundary

Scaled aerial images taken by drone cannot be construed as being a survey. Imagine if a licensed surveyor passed off aerial photos as being a professional survey, their license would probably be revoked. My firm regularly uses Map Pilot (Maps Made Easy) tiled aerials to document the extent of invasive vegetation from year to year and to take measurements. Our conclusions are based on an observation, not a survey. I think people are getting hung up on the word "survey". Just because a map has been drawn, doesn't make it a survey. School textbooks contain maps, the old Hagstrom Road Atlas's contained not only maps but also showed town boundaries. No one would ever consider them to be a survey. A survey is a special animal used for special purposes. These professional surveyors organizations are far overreaching and I hope the courts toss them out on their arse because their argument holds no merit. Just because a map portrays general ownership boundaries doesn't require it to be professional survey. The world is full of examples.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    214.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
These professional surveyors organizations are far overreaching and I hope the courts toss them out on their arse because their argument holds no merit.
Well, if you just take facts and common sense then sure. But, throw in some "old boys" and backroom negotiation and its not so simple and there is wiggle room. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Enorda and BigAl07
Scaled aerial images taken by drone cannot be construed as being a survey. Imagine if a licensed surveyor passed off aerial photos as being a professional survey, their license would probably be revoked. My firm regularly uses Map Pilot (Maps Made Easy) tiled aerials to document the extent of invasive vegetation from year to year and to take measurements. Our conclusions are based on an observation, not a survey. I think people are getting hung up on the word "survey". Just because a map has been drawn, doesn't make it a survey. School textbooks contain maps, the old Hagstrom Road Atlas's contained not only maps but also showed town boundaries. No one would ever consider them to be a survey. A survey is a special animal used for special purposes. These professional surveyors organizations are far overreaching and I hope the courts toss them out on their arse because their argument holds no merit. Just because a map portrays general ownership boundaries doesn't require it to be professional survey. The world is full of examples.
While what you say is reasonable and logical, that isn't what they are saying in NC, and as BigAl says, it could have far reaching consequences. And Surveyors can use aerial photos in addition to what they do and line them up, which is why some surveyors are getting into drones.

So as of now, it highly depends on the state your in, but I do suggest reading the article I posted. I don't agree with it, as most with a logical mind and an understanding of what a survey is and what most of us do, but if the courts disagree, it doesn't matter what we think.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harley1905