Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

pixhawk vs naza v2 for t est bed aircraft

mick

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I am currently debating buying a f550 with a naza v2 but have found myself lost as regards the functionality of the software and what it can actually do due to its age.

I have been told the new pixhawk systems are very good and i want to learn the ins and outs of setting a drone up so it appeals to me as i have long term rc experience but not rotary. On the other hand a naza system is apparently more reliable but can only map via a ipad and the functions it offers are limited.

We want a r&d drone that can trigger a camera, fly mission planner routes and take other pieces of equipment if we choose to mod it like a thermal etc so i want to ask peoples thoughts?

We have a i1 x5r and that is our main workhorse for decent camera work but we are moving into industrial applications as im a engineer by trade and need a test bed.

What is the latest pixhawk? Is it a decent platform and what are peoples thoughts on the whole debate?

Every dealer i speak to these days ave gone down the Dji route for east so it is getting harder and harder to source advise on alternative systems.

Thanks
Mick

27336419_583028732043697_4939459665624441764_n.jpg Hey Mick
Cant speak much on the DJI controllers. But have a lot of experience with Pixhawks
The new PH2.1 Cube is an excellent controller. Lots of flexibility.
Just finishing up an X8 coaxial that will be flying a Zcamera E1.

I am sure the DJIs are good too. Just not a fan of the business model, more of an open source guy.

Spektreworks has a great new carrier board for the PH2.1 that pretty much reduces wiring to a no brainer. lots of ports and power, no need for a power distribution board at all.

View attachment 353 Hey Mick
Cant speak much on the DJI controllers. But have a lot of experience with Pixhawks
The new PH2.1 Cube is an excellent controller. Lots of flexibility.
Just finishing up an X8 coaxial that will be flying a Zcamera E1.

I am sure the DJIs are good too. Just not a fan of the business model, more of an open source guy.

Spektreworks has a great new carrier board for the PH2.1 that pretty much reduces wiring to a no brainer. lots of ports and power, no need for a power distribution board at all.

Thankyou for the info Tim, I am a open source guy myself but for aerial filming the Dji stuff has been plug and play so we chose it as the first option. I personally hate Dji and their control over their customers but it did work out cheaper to get a i1 with the x5r than to build a custom rig and camera so we went for it.

There new stuff is a joke and ensures you need 28k just to do inspection work so they are truly ruining the market for themselves long term. No cameras are swap able between platforms etc its just ridiculous and based on fleecing their customers.

Do you feel the support for pixhawk is good? As long as there is plenty of info on how to do mapping flights, trigger the camera etc it sounds like a far far better platform imho. Ive built plenty of fixed wing stuff so im sure i would manage with this no problem plus i can 3d print parts etc as im a engineer by trade and have a good little printer.

Finally is there any tablet control for the pixhawk stuff if you set it up right? I know the 3dr drone used a tablet so to speak to im wondering if its possible.

Thanks Again
Mick

Tower on android is what a lot of people use, I honestly just carry my surface with Mission Planner.
But
Solo's on board computers coupled with Solex are the bomb.
So by placing the IMX6 as a companion computer onto a Pixhawk 2.1 copter, all the fancy capabilities of solo work on custom builds. That is what I am doing with my X8. Replacing the traditional Taranis and X84 receiver with the Wifi link that handles control, telemetry and video feed all in one.

The author of Solex is now making it work with Rovers and I assume eventually fixed wings.

The Ardupilot facebook page is quite active as is their own forum

Tower on android is what a lot of people use, I honestly just carry my surface with Mission Planner.
But
Solo's on board computers coupled with Solex are the bomb.
So by placing the IMX6 as a companion computer onto a Pixhawk 2.1 copter, all the fancy capabilities of solo work on custom builds. That is what I am doing with my X8. Replacing the traditional Taranis and X84 receiver with the Wifi link that handles control, telemetry and video feed all in one.

The author of Solex is now making it work with Rovers and I assume eventually fixed wings.

The Ardupilot facebook page is quite active as is their own forum

This definitely seems like what we were looking for. What kind of range will you get with a wifi feed? Our set-up will be spectrum

Wifi is not the best if you are looking at long range, but I consistently get out 2500 feet which is about the end of my LOS
There are lots of long range options for Pixhawk rx900 radios for example.
PH Ardupilot is set up for RC and Standard control, I am going with the Wifi to utilize the solos two onboard Linux computers (IMX6) the smart shot capability is crazy smooth and accurate. I know DJI offers some of the same shots but they are robotic in comparison from the videos I have seen. Like I said nothing wrong with DJI gear, I just prefer the open capabilities of PH Ardu

Reactions: mick
I've been working with Pixhawk logs and they appear pretty comprehensive (I develop telemetry analysis and drone management software).

A colleague has a custom rig based on the PX4, and Yuneec have modified Pixhawk controllers in the H520 and H Plus, so it's being used in some interesting places. The Yuneec ST-16 unfortunately only seems to work with Yuneec drones, which is a pity as it solves the issue of integrating controller and autonomous flight app very nicely.

Mission planner therefore has commercial customers, which means it's being actively developed. There are some flakey edges, but that seems standard in this game and there doesn't seem to be anything major that will stop you flying.

Wifi is not the best if you are looking at long range, but I consistently get out 2500 feet which is about the end of my LOS
There are lots of long range options for Pixhawk rx900 radios for example.
PH Ardupilot is set up for RC and Standard control, I am going with the Wifi to utilize the solos two onboard Linux computers (IMX6) the smart shot capability is crazy smooth and accurate. I know DJI offers some of the same shots but they are robotic in comparison from the videos I have seen. Like I said nothing wrong with DJI gear, I just prefer the open capabilities of PH Ardu

So from what you are saying i would need a wifi system myself to utilise the android capabilities etc and mapping? Whereas i could go for a long range set-up if i used a pc instead but still be able to map? Sorry i am new to the whole open source platform so bear with me as i am having to decide what we need before purchasing it/ having any experience of it.

Last edited:
No you can use tower with android and Pixhawk over simple telemetry radios

Thanks the more i read the more options i see so i think i just need to get the cash together and got for it :)

Im really excited to see what a open source system can do after getting used to a completely controlled one

Up until a couple weeks ago I could have sent you a PH1, but i traded it.
Go PH2.1 and if you need any help along the way shout out

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gstrick1215