Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Portfolio from SE Australia

Raymondo

Reaction score
Most of my work is documentary or low budget drama and music. My current drones are a Mavic Pro and an Inspire 2. I use the I2 a fair amount now. This show reel is all taken within a couple of hours of my home near Bega, NSW Australia.

Surely, you have transgressed the Australian CASA laws in capturing this wonderful footage. It has taken me 12 months from starting my RePl to obtaining my ReOC and it just begs the question. Has your footage (Flight Plan,) been approved by CASA. I am struggling to see how your footage could be legal. Unless, you have a redundancy system in operation. I am not being the Drone Police here, but as I am doing the right thing by getting certified, I do get extremely annoyed by operators who defy the laws and give legal operators a bad name. If you have authority from CASA, then please disregard my post.

Actually, I curious that you refer to authority from CASA. That is only required in a few situations. Such as, within controlled airspace, above 400', beyond line of sight etc.

Hi Ramondo,
the following are issues that I would say are not allowed.

Shooting directly over boats

Within 30 metres horizontally from the couple on the rocks near the sea

Maybe closer than 30 metres from Bega Co-Op

Some very close up zooms of houses

Footage above Stage of Audience

Distance behind couple walking on track

Distance from man in boat

Distance above boat in heigh shot

Distance from campers

Distance from woman on beach

I now learn that the Inspire 2 has dual battery, which I assume CASA considers your operations acceptable.

This is the area I am wanting to explore.

To gain CASA approval to fly over Festival Sites and buildings and people, is the Inspire 2 sufficient.

By the way, I was awarded my ReOC today!

Cheers,
Mic

EyeDrone

Congratulations on obtaining your ReOC.

You should now know that following the CASA rules and guidelines, preparing Job Safety Assessments, keeping in Radio Contact, using appropriate equipment and obtaining releases, that all of my shots can be filmed entirely legally - and safe.

Raymondo,

Sincere thanks for your congratulatory guesture on my obtaining my ReOC.

Additionally, I am enjoying this discourse.

Being new to the RePl and now the ReOC Rules and Regulations, I am very intrigued how you justify some of my previously posted concerns, as being totally within CASA's conditions.

To repeat, have you received approval from CASA to fly over the Audience, or if you are flying a dual redundancy system, (Inspire 2?) you have determined your Risk Assessment to be minimal?

I am a Site Manager for a Major Festival in Australia and I'm wanting as much advice as possible in how to go about flying over my Site. Have done previously, but at horizontal distance.

I'd appreciate your advice.

Mic

Raymondo,

Sincere thanks for your congratulatory guesture on my obtaining my ReOC.

Additionally, I am enjoying this discourse.

Being new to the RePl and now the ReOC Rules and Regulations, I am very intrigued how you justify some of my previously posted concerns, as being totally within CASA's conditions.

To repeat, have you received approval from CASA to fly over the Audience, or if you are flying a dual redundancy system, (Inspire 2?) you have determined your Risk Assessment to be minimal?

I am a Site Manager for a Major Festival in Australia and I'm wanting as much advice as possible in how to go about flying over my Site. Have done previously, but at horizontal distance.

I'd appreciate your advice.

Mic
I think the key to this is your phrase ' over the audience'. That one shot was taken from behind the stage 100m away from the audience over a lake. The framing was acheived with a 45mm lens. The audience was fully briefed (hence the waving). As you say, the Inspire 2 has dual batteries, but also a number of other redundant systems inside. As final insurance, I had fitted prop guards. The worst case failure would have seen the I2 having a swim before it even flew as far as the stage.

I would not have done this near a concert or AFL match (nor is it legal) where there are uncontrolled spectators who might come near the drone's possible crash zones.

The only way I have covered those concerts or football matches is to fly the site before anyone is there, to give perspective, then film the event or match from the ground.

Reactions: straitin
The actual flight was planned for safety. The initial flight towards the stage over the water was without audience. Audience shots were either crane shots or left/right tracking. So if gps was lost, a drop into ATTI mode, or a flyaway happened it was unlikely to go towards the audience

Reactions: straitin

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM