Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Prison advisory

commercialTRK

Reaction score
I'm experimenting with AirMap's "Create Flight Plan" feature and using the optional "AirMap Recommended Guidelines" plus 107 Certified and Required advisories.

At one area of interest I was getting a (red) advisory: "Prison(1)" which suddenly went away as I write this and I can't seem to find any reference to such a restriction and what action is required on my part.

Anybody know?

Thanks,
...tom

I'm experimenting with AirMap's "Create Flight Plan" feature and using the optional "AirMap Recommended Guidelines" plus 107 Certified and Required advisories.

At one area of interest I was getting a (red) advisory: "Prison(1)" which suddenly went away as I write this and I can't seem to find any reference to such a restriction and what action is required on my part.

Anybody know?

Thanks,
...tom

In general we don't want to be flying over or very near any prisons because they are sensitive sites, unless you get their permission/ proper authorization from the controlling authority. There is a problem with drones being used to bring in contraband to prisons.

Similar to other sensitive sites like military bases, nuclear plants etc.

If you can coordinate with them so they don't shoot you out of the sky or arrest you then yeah your good. Just make sure to make positive contact with security prior to flying on the day of too. If possible don't trust that the admin folks on their side got the word to everyone or that someone doesn't know you are there because they didn't check their email (happened to me outside a nuke plant, the security guys with me said I was close to being shot out of the sky because the guy in the tower didn't read his email and panicked seeing a 30lbs hexacopter in the sky just outside the facility walls. )

In general we don't want to be flying over or very near any prisons because they are sensitive sites, unless you get their permission/ proper authorization from the controlling authority. There is a problem with drones being used to bring in contraband to prisons.
...snip...

Thanks Moosewax

You'll want to check local/State regulations as well. For instance, in North Carolina you can not operate a UAS within 500' (laterally) of a "Confinement Facility" or within 250' over one.

Note: A Confinement Facility is any facility that has at least one cell/holding unit inside. This could be Prison, Courthouse, Police Dept, etc.

Once a facility is considered "Sensitive" your best bet is to avoid all together or at least contact the Agency to discuss how to operate in the area legally and ethically.

You'll want to check local/State regulations as well. For instance, in North Carolina you can not operate a UAS within 500' (laterally) of a "Confinement Facility" or within 250' over one....snip....

Thanks BigAl. I have initiated a query to the VA Dept of Commerce asking for specific drone rules in Virginia. What puzzles me is that this alert only shows when selecting the optional AirMap-specific alerts. Even FAA's own B4UFly doesn't mention this alert, but I suppose that could make sense if it is a state-specific rule.

Reactions: DroneographyAI
Thanks BigAl. I have initiated a query to the VA Dept of Commerce asking for specific drone rules in Virginia. What puzzles me is that this alert only shows when selecting the optional AirMap-specific alerts. Even FAA's own B4UFly doesn't mention this alert, but I suppose that could make sense if it is a state-specific rule.

Good call.

IMHO I'd toss B4UFLY out the window. It's (unless something has changed) designed for Hobby/336 operations although they shouldn't be flying near prisons either.

Good call.

IMHO I'd toss B4UFLY out the window. It's (unless something has changed) designed for Hobby/336 operations although they shouldn't be flying near prisons either.

Agreed on B4UFLY; just mention it because of its FAA affiliation.

Reactions: BigAl07
Here's another source for your research: Virginia – State Drone Law

That's an excellent resource but keep in mind it's not routinely updated. For instance in NC it's still showing one bill "Pending" as of August 11, 2017 that actually went into effect Dec 1, 2017.

HB94/SB523 - Emergency Response which is now contained in the NC General Statutes. The official release/memo on this is titled "UAS_Memo_NC_DOT_Dec2017".

This is also the memo that talks about "Containment Facilities" in regards to sUAS in NC.

That's an excellent resource but keep in mind it's not routinely updated. For instance in NC it's still showing one bill "Pending" as of August 11, 2017 that actually went into effect Dec 1, 2017.

HB94/SB523 - Emergency Response which is now contained in the NC General Statutes. The official release/memo on this is titled "UAS_Memo_NC_DOT_Dec2017".

This is also the memo that talks about "Containment Facilities" in regards to sUAS in NC.

Noted, thanks again.

Reactions: BigAl07

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerardH143