Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Private Airstrip rules

Miko Mozi Imaging

Reaction score
Website
www.mikomozi.com
I have a potential job that is near a private airstrip. AirMap and a few other sites show no restrictions. What are the rules here? I think I am green, but want to make sure before committing further.

Reynolds Airpark
Green Cove Springs, FL 32043
(904) 284-3505
Google Maps

Job is about a mile away and not inline with the runway.

Almost more frightening are the crazy comments about this place on the interwebs. Apparently the conspiracy theorist crowd has this pegged as a CIA front (pretty sure that just got me watchlisted), housing UN vehicles..... entertaining read. Guess I will be on the lookout for black SUVs too. ;/

Reactions: Mike Flys
Hello and welcome to the Commercial Drone Pilots forum. We are glad to have you on board. I'm confident you'll find lots of helpful and enlightening information throughout this forum.

If you haven't already done so, consider adding your LOCATION to your forum profile to help us know where you are when you post suggestions or ask for assistance. It helps a lot more than you might think especially because this is an international forum with members from all parts of the world. Here's a direct link to yours:

https://commercialdronepilots.com/account/personal-details

The rules are: It depends on what Airspace you'll be flying in. If it's class G (GOLF) then you're "legally" good to go but notification is still a very good idea. Class B,C, D, E (SFC) will require an Airspace Authorization or an Airspace Waiver.

Allen

I have a potential job that is near a private airstrip. AirMap and a few other sites show no restrictions. What are the rules here? I think I am green, but want to make sure before committing further.

Reynolds Airpark
Green Cove Springs, FL 32043
(904) 284-3505
Google Maps

Job is about a mile away and not inline with the runway.

Almost more frightening are the crazy comments about this place on the interwebs. Apparently the conspiracy theorist crowd has this pegged as a CIA front (pretty sure that just got me watchlisted), housing UN vehicles..... entertaining read. Guess I will be on the lookout for black SUVs too. ;/

Just keep in mind that you have to give way to manned aircraft. I assume that the airstrip is in "G" airspace.

Just keep in mind that you have to give way to manned aircraft. I assume that the airstrip is in "G" airspace.

I just looked at the Google link that you posted. That is a pretty good size air park that looks well used.

I just looked at the Google link that you posted. That is a pretty good size air park that looks well used.

Yes class G. It has a 5000 ft runway, and it looks like several other runways, however only the 1 is used.

If you look close on google maps, the other runways are full of cars end-to-end. And one has what appears to be a drag strip.

I would have to say that you will be fine. Just keep an eye out, most pilots of manned aircraft will circle an airstrip such as this before landing and I would have to say that would be higher than the 400 feet.

I would have to say that you will be fine. Just keep an eye out, most pilots of manned aircraft will circle an airstrip such as this before landing and I would have to say that would be higher than the 400 feet.
1200' / 1000' (AGL) down wind, then descending altitude into left or right base and of course final.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rodger
[QUOTE="Miko Mozi I

"Almost more frightening are the crazy comments about this place on the interwebs. Apparently the conspiracy theorist crowd has this pegged as a CIA front (pretty sure that just got me watchlisted), housing UN vehicles..... entertaining read. Guess I will be on the lookout for black SUVs too. " ;/[/QUOTE]

You never know;)

1200' / 1000' (AGL) down wind, then descending altitude into left or right base and of course final.

Thanks for the data, I wasn't sure as to an exact altitude and understand the lowest height will be on descent.

Even in uncontrolled airspace like the class G for the airport you are referring to if you are with in 5 miles of the airport (even a private airport) you still have to notify them. I generally call the manager via the number in the AFD (Airport/Facility Directory) or one of the many Drone or Airspace apps. If no one answers I leave a message with Name, Number Distance and direction from the airport.

Mike

Even in uncontrolled airspace like the class G for the airport you are referring to if you are with in 5 miles of the airport (even a private airport) you still have to notify them. I generally call the manager via the number in the AFD (Airport/Facility Directory) or one of the many Drone or Airspace apps. If no one answers I leave a message with Name, Number Distance and direction from the airport.

Mike

I doubt that you will find one there Mike, given the description and background of this Airstrip. Your thoughts and intentions are well spoken though.

I doubt that you will find one there Mike, given the description and background of this Airstrip. Your thoughts and intentions are well spoken though.

I'm sorry it may not be in the AFD, but it's on my sectional in my iPad with all the pertinent information including the phone number.
I also checked the Hoover drone app but amazingly enough it didn't show the phone number for Reynolds Airpark.

Personally I haven't used the AFD in years. I have an app on my iPad and a subscription to the sectional charts that I use when I fly airplanes. Double click near an airport and I can access all the info for that airport, even the private ones. I always assumed that data was feed to the app from the AFD data base. My mistake.

Here in Central Florida there airports everywhere. I call private airports all the time to tell them I'm flying near them.

My point is if you are flying next to an airport you should notify them, besides being a regulation it is the safe thing to do.

You are correct, Mike. The A/FD data (which is the main section of the new Chart Supplements publication) is what is used in Foreflight pulls from. You are referring to FL60, right?

Yes FL60.

I'm not using ForeFlight. Great app though I use FlyQ EFB because I have a lifetime subscription to sectionals through them. It is also a great app.

Last edited:
With proper permissions, communication and maybe a couple spotters you can safely fly near airports.

I shot several pics and a few of these 360s last November at the Deland Sport Aviation Showcase. If you find me in it, the airport manager is next to me talking to the tower on a hand held radio, and couple of other drone pilots near me as well spotting. we took turns flying and spotting for each other.
Sorry but for some reason this 60 is not working in MS Edge or IE today, but it is in Chrome and Safari,
Hangar 360

Tried to embed it with iFrame tags but couldn't get it to work in preview.

Mike

Airspace is a hugely confusing issue. While a newbie to drone flying, I have flown fixed wing aircraft for 47 years now from military, civilian, and foreign fields worldwide, and have recently gotten my Part 107 ticket. My impression is that many drone pilots make airspace a more complicated issue than it really is, and that's understandable, because, again, it's really confusing. I'm not knocking anyone!
That said, there are no markings on sectionals around Reynolds/FL60. This indicates to me that it is Class G airspace - no communication or authorization is required to fly around it, although the UAS pilot MUST be aware of traffic patterns and elevations and avoid them. A universal rule of thumb for aircraft descending into a field is that they will follow a glide path of 300'/mile, ie, if they are 1 mile from the airport for landing, they will be at about 300', 2 miles - 600', etc. The traffic pattern around airports such at Reynolds are flown at about 800' above ground level. Miko indicated that he will be flying off-centerline to approaches at about a mile. While he should keep a sharp lookout for aircraft, within the parameters he gave, he should have no issues flying his drone several hundred feet in the air, and again, no permission or authorization is required. Further, at an uncontrolled, private airstrip as this, it is extremely unlikely that any means exists to warn pilots flying in or out that there might be a UAS airborne nearby, even if you could contact someone. Last, if this was depicted as Class E airspace, unless the Class E airspace went all the way to the surface (very unlikely at a private airstrip), the floor of the Class E would begin at either 700 feet AGL or 1200 ft AGL, well above the max altitude you should be flying your drone anyway - you would still be in Class G airspace.
Hope this helps!

After some searching 14 CFR Part 107 to find nothing that states you must notify an airport in uncontrolled airspace, and finding this:

"Small UA Operations Near an Airport—Notification and Permissions. Unless the flight is conducted within controlled airspace, no notification or authorization is necessary to operate at or near an airport. When operating in the vicinity of an airport, the remote PIC must be aware of all traffic patterns and approach corridors to runways and landing areas. The remote PIC must avoid operating anywhere that the presence of the sUAS may interfere with operations at the airport, such as approach corridors, taxiways, runways, or helipads. Furthermore, the remote PIC must yield right-of-way to all other aircraft, including aircraft operating on the surface of the airport."

in Advisory Circular 107-2 I learned that I was wrong, and it's good to know I can stop calling all the airports around me every time I fly.

Thanks TopSail Phil for your post which caused me to go do the research. I don't have your experience but after years of flying airplanes and heated discussions in hangars over regulations I have learned it's best to look it up before pushing your point to far.

Mike

Reactions: AH-1G

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM