Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Props

Geo_in_KS

Reaction score
What are opinions here on triple blade props? Any good? Legality issues? Bad/good for stability/performance?

Youre kidding...... I even did a search before I posted, couldnt find it.
Ok, thanks.

The most efficient prop arrangement is a single blade but that is a whole other ball of wax (counter balance etc). With the additional blade in the mix we are introducing more turbulence and less "clean air" for the next blade to utilize.

In some cases (high performance aircraft) we utilize additional blades to reduce blade diameter but in those instances it's a trade off that is worth it.

With today's crop of multirotors the majority are utilizing a Flight Controller that regulates thrust, speed, direction etc so installing more efficient (or not) props usually does not equate to a more efficient aircraft like it does in other airframes.

Over the last few years we have tried using different props on the off-the-shelf aircraft with no real benefit and sometimes exactly the opposite of what we were expecting.

Reactions: AH-1G
Thanks guys,
Thats basically what I read somewhere else online, but I want to get some pros' opinions.
I think a good example that proves this theory is the C-130. (maybe not a perfect example, but somewhat). More props, more engines, more thrust. And on the C-130J there are 6 props per engine.

I know a quad copter won't fly with three propellers but will it fly with two? (diagonally opposed of course).

I would try it but I don't want it to end up upside down churning on the ground.

If it only balances with one axis, what do you think the other axis will do? Start spinning like a madman making it unmanageable.

There always has to be a compensation, and the base is the same as in helilcopters, the difference is that instead of tilting the rotor gives more power to the rear engines of the direction in which you want to go.

I know a quad copter won't fly with three propellers but will it fly with two? (diagonally opposed of course).

I would try it but I don't want it to end up upside down churning on the ground.

It's not likely that most units can compensate enough for 50% loss of thrust.

One thing to understand is that it is POSSIBLE for a Quad to lose a single prop/motor/ESC and still fly but the algorithms etc are not in most off-the-shelf systems. I have seen a Yuneec model lose a prop and continue to fly (not graceful but in control) to a safe landing.

It's not likely that most units can compensate enough for 50% loss of thrust.

One thing to understand is that it is POSSIBLE for a Quad to lose a single prop/motor/ESC and still fly but the algorithms etc are not in most off-the-shelf systems. I have seen a Yuneec model lose a prop and continue to fly (not graceful but in control) to a safe landing.

A quad lose a propeller and keep on flying? A hexacopter or an octocopter without problem. But a quad.............

Here's an example, but the engine is not completely dead, fails, recovers, fails and lands without much damage. But a total failure of an engine or propeller on a quadcopter means a sure blow.

P.D.: At least I haven't seen one of them stabilize. Let's see if any partner can give an example although theoretically it is not feasible.

P.D.2: The Yunnec video you mean is this? Is very funny :D

Reactions: Moosewax
Reactions: BigAl07

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM