Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Question about an authorization

jwilbs

Reaction score
I became a certified pilot in January. I requested for authorization to fly in class c airspace shorty after for a construction project that is going to begin in a couple weeks. Hearing the timeline on receiving authorization is taking well over 90 days, do I have any options on getting some pre construction photos or am I just stuck waiting to hear back on the authorization request?

I became a certified pilot in January. I requested for authorization to fly in class c airspace shorty after for a construction project that is going to begin in a couple weeks. Hearing the timeline on receiving authorization is taking well over 90 days, do I have any options on getting some pre construction photos or am I just stuck waiting to hear back on the authorization request?

Try to find someone else in your area who already got authorized and see if you can work out a deal.

Reactions: rfaaj and BigAl07

As stated above you can try and find someone with one and "piggyback" on it.

W/O that you just wait and hope it comes through in time. No other option.

What airport is it? You might get LAANC soon if you are lucky.

Also check what times they are open, maybe they close holidays / weekends (not very likely with C but always worth a check, usually more the case with military airports)

-Chris

Thanks for the input. I have no idea where to begin looking for a "piggyback" option. I am located in Madison, WI, so the LAANC does not seem to be an option until much later in the year. Could I possibly try to just call ATC to fly as a recreational pilot? Or have someone else that is working on the project call ATC to being a drone pilot in training to do the flights as a recreational pilot? I obviously want to be completely compliant with the FAA rules & regulations. Just thought with the long wait on getting FAA authorization, there might be some other possibilities or options.

Thanks again!

It's all about "intent of the flight". Sure you can fly recreationally (notify unless BRAVO airspace then you have to get explicit permission from ATC not just notify) but the pics you take during those "hobby/recreational flights" can't be part of your "Commercial Package" any longer.

Can you do this and get away with it? Maybe (probably) but is it worth risking your license, customer's opinion, and future work? That's up to you to decide what is "the right thing" to do.

It's all about "intent of the flight". Sure you can fly recreationally (notify unless BRAVO airspace then you have to get explicit permission from ATC not just notify) but the pics you take during those "hobby/recreational flights" can't be part of your "Commercial Package" any longer.

Can you do this and get away with it? Maybe (probably) but is it worth risking your license, customer's opinion, and future work? That's up to you to decide what is "the right thing" to do.

What BigAl said.
BTW, commercial pilots faking flights as "hobbyists" to dodge airspace rules are part of the problem. We all face the same dilemma, nothing new. I began my business in 2015, can't estimate how many jobs I turned down and my losses. It is what it is. Trying to game the system hurts your reputation and credibility. Remember your client may figure out what you are doing is wrong (or a competitor may rat you out) and decide you are not the professional you present yourself as. This business is not about getting "one" job, but a series of them, by good reputation. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: BigAl07

What BigAl said.
BTW, commercial pilots faking flights as "hobbyists" to dodge airspace rules are part of the problem. We all face the same dilemma, nothing new. I began my business in 2015, can't estimate how many jobs I turned down and my losses. It is what it is. Trying to game the system hurts your reputation and credibility. Remember your client may figure out what you are doing is wrong (or a competitor may rat you out) and decide you are not the professional you present yourself as. This business is not about getting "one" job, but a series of them, by good reputation. Just my 2 cents.
Thanks again for the input. I do not want anything to do with being any part of a problem. I will wait it out.

Reactions: BigAl07
Im in the Southwest and am anxiously awaiting laanc here. Just received yesterday a Class D waiver I submitted December 15th.

Like others have already said, find a local pilot who already has the authorization, and hire him to over see your project until your own authorization comes back in from the FAA. You take a hit on your profits, but keep the job and everybody involved is legal and happy. And it is also just a temporary answer until your authorization comes back in a month or so.

Then, in the future apply for any airport you think you may ever need for business one day. Get the ball rolling so you don't have to rely on others. And even if LAANC becomes available nearby, you won't have to request authorization before every flight in controlled airspace.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerardH143