Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Question for the experts...

As of September 6, 2017, FAA's Michael Huerta reported the number of Part 107 pilots to be 60,000. Avionics article HERE.

LAANC can't get here soon enough! However, there will be only 49 Beta airports in 2018 and none of them in my area. :mad:

There is no area of confusion in this matter.

To fly a UAS in the US, you (basically) have two choices. You can fly under 14CFR Part 101 or you can fly under 14CFR Part 107.

To fly under 101, you must meet 5 criteria. If you cannot meet all 5 criteria, you must test for a get a Remote Pilot Certificate and fly under 107 rules.

The main issue for you flying under 101 rules is the first section under "Applicability". It states: "(a) The aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational use;". You are not flying for either hobby or recreation in the scenario use describe above, so you can't fly under 101 rules.

There are a couple of other ways you can fly a UAS in the US, but it involve Public COAs or 333 Exemptions, and those don't apply here.

Reactions: BigAl07
There is no area of confusion in this matter.

To fly a UAS in the US, you (basically) have two choices. You can fly under 14CFR Part 101 or you can fly under 14CFR Part 107.

To fly under 101, you must meet 5 criteria. If you cannot meet all 5 criteria, you must test for a get a Remote Pilot Certificate and fly under 107 rules.

The main issue for you flying under 101 rules is the first section under "Applicability". It states: "(a) The aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational use;". You are not flying for either hobby or recreation in the scenario use describe above, so you can't fly under 101 rules.

There are a couple of other ways you can fly a UAS in the US, but it involve Public COAs or 333 Exemptions, and those don't apply here.

Howdy Vic and great to see your name on the forum. WELCOME!

Reactions: Vic Moss
How does one interpret this:

As per the FAA website:

What is the definition of recreational or hobby use of a UAS?
Recreational or hobby UAS use is flying for enjoyment and not for work, business purposes, or for compensation or hire. In the FAA's Interpretation of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft, the FAA relied on the ordinary, dictionary definition of these terms. UAS use for hobby is a "pursuit outside one's regular occupation engaged in especially for relaxation." UAS use for recreation is "refreshment of strength and spirits after work; a means of refreshment or division.
"

If my regular occupation is a dog walker in which I get paid a salary and is my sole means of support. I interpret the above as I can perform video shoot for real estate and receive compensation on a "1 off" basis without need 107 cert.

The key here is "receive compensation" if you are going to receive compensation of any type, monetary, work done for you in return, football game tickets, etc. You need your Part 107 Certification.

The key here is "receive compensation" if you are going to receive compensation of any type, monetary, work done for you in return, football game tickets, etc. You need your Part 107 Certification.

In all honesty it goes much deeper than just compensation. In the purest form of the intention it is about "hobby" or NOT. If the flight is not 100% for your enjoyment (hobby/recreation is a personal thing) then it does not fit into the hobby box.

There are many instances which do NOT include any form of compensation but they still fall under Part 107 operations. Charity, Search & Rescue, NonProfit are but a few.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlanzFPV