Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Question regarding commercial UAV plane camera mounts

AMann

Reaction score
For those that have a UAV plane used for fixed nadir mapping (straight down), does it have or need a gimbal on the camera mount?

And if your mapping plane does have a gimbal mount, does it move in both the X and Y directions?

…I am looking into making a Rotoplane instead of a quad for mapping large projects.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gagey52
That is a great idea. Problem is how fast can your camera capture overlapping photos. With the Inspire 2 my average was a max 30 mph. The ag industry could really use a fixed wing fast drone as long at the camera can keep up. Of course with photography is you speed enough money you can get just about anything you want.

Reactions: AMann
Thanks for the reply- and the other one as well. I am hoping to use a plane to do images on linear projects - highway construction projects and transects of large open spaces. As for cameras, video is one option but I also will be using mirrorless cameras with very fast burst and shutter rates.

A gimbal might be nice to help keep the camera stable but is not required. Think of other fixed wing drones. (i.e. Wingtra, eBee) These don't have gimbals and they produce great results. A gimbal would also likely add significant weight and complexity.

Reactions: AMann
A gimbal might be nice to help keep the camera stable but is not required. Think of other fixed wing drones. (i.e. Wingtra, eBee) These don't have gimbals and they produce great results. A gimbal would also likely add significant weight and complexity.
Thanks for the reply- I am still in the process of researching plane models to use for the project but it looks like a quadplane is a good choice for one without a gimbal - particularly for roll and pitch dampening as it can counter quick motions with both the rotors and the elevators or ailerons.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM