Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Quickest Way to Edit Videos for YouTube?

That's kind of a broad question. It depends on your skills composing and capturing the data, the amount of data you capture, the amount of editing/Effects/Transitions you want to include, and finally what the final product specifics are.

For the most part Video Editing is clunky, time consuming, processor intensive, and at least for me not any fun at all LOL.

Search for best or favorite video editor and you will see a wide range of suggestions. All suggestions revolve around price with FREE editors being very popular.

I can't fathom a phone video app being desirable as video needs a lot of screen real estate during the editing process IMHO. Are you able to get your drone's video files onto your smart phone along with other assets such as stills and audio?

I just can't imagine using a phone to produce any kind of decent video, unless your thinking in terms of your audiences viewing by phone, or whipping up Instagram stories.

I like to do quick and dirty phone videos :-D I use the Videoshop app that came preinstalled on my Note 9. For YouTube quick videos I use Camtasia on my PC and for client videos I use Premiere.

Are you a drone pilot with clients?

Reactions: BigAl07
Saving is very powerful but was also overwhelming. I bought Adobe Premiere Elements. Plenty powerful for the newbie and not quite as overwhelming. It has three levels of interfaces which you can choose depending on what you want to do and what your level of expertise is. I got it from Amazon for less than $100 so it doesn't break the bank. And there is a lot of help out on You Tube for it.

Saving is very powerful but was also overwhelming. I bought Adobe Premiere Elements. Plenty powerful for the newbie and not quite as overwhelming. It has three levels of interfaces which you can choose depending on what you want to do and what your level of expertise is. I got it from Amazon for less than $100 so it doesn't break the bank. And there is a lot of help out on You Tube for it.

Did you mean DaVinci? If so I agree that DaVinci can be a bit overwhelming at first and have a learning curve to get over.

I started out back in 2005 with Adobe Elements V2, but about 7 years ago moved over to Adobe Premiere Pro CC. It isn't cheap though and unless you are doing a lot of editing you may not want to go down that road. I haven't looked at the pricing plan lately but you used to be able to get 1 app for about $20 a month, but I also use After Effects, Photoshop, Audition and Illustrator so that didn't work out for me. I am lucky that I can use a student pricing plan and I get everything I need for about $19 a month but if you don't have that luxury it will run you about $50 a month.

Elements is very simple and will get you started but if you want to be more creative you are going to out grow it really quickly. Premiere Pro isn't the easiest thing to use sometimes but once you get the hang of the basics it isn't clunky at all. I can usually throw something simple together really quickly in Premiere. Even after 7 years of using it though I still don't know everything about it and don't even come close to using all the features, but I am forever learning. I personally do enjoy the editing, almost as much as I enjoy the flying to take the video, because it gives me the tools to make my footage fluid and to focus on what I really want everyone else to see.

If you go the Adobe Creative Cloud route though, let me give you a hint; They always start you out with an introductory rate and then when you renew it will increase. What I found out though is if you call them about a month before your subscription is going to end and tell them you are going to cancel, they will work with you and keep you on the old rate for your renewal if you tell them pricing is the reason you are going to cancel. I have done that for the past 6 years now and it has worked like a charm every single time.

Last edited:
I use LightRoom with time to work with, however, check out PhotoScape X, it's free for the basic version but I use it for quick field edits and it does the job.

I started out back in 2005 with Adobe Elements V2, but about 7 years ago moved over to Adobe Premiere Pro CC. It isn't cheap though and unless you are doing a lot of editing you may not want to go down that road. I haven't looked at the pricing plan lately but you used to be able to get 1 app for about $20 a month, but I also use After Effects, Photoshop, Audition and Illustrator so that didn't work out for me. I am lucky that I can use a student pricing plan and I get everything I need for about $19 a month but if you don't have that luxury it will run you about $50 a month.

Elements is very simple and will get you started but if you want to be more creative you are going to out grow it really quickly. Premiere Pro isn't the easiest thing to use sometimes but once you get the hang of the basics it isn't clunky at all. I can usually throw something simple together really quickly in Premiere. Even after 7 years of using it though I still don't know everything about it and don't even come close to using all the features, but I am forever learning. I personally do enjoy the editing, almost as much as I enjoy the flying to take the video, because it gives me the tools to make my footage fluid and to focus on what I really want everyone else to see.

If you go the Adobe Creative Cloud route though, let me give you a hint; They always start you out with an introductory rate and then when you renew it will increase. What I found out though is if you call them about a month before your subscription is going to end and tell them you are going to cancel, they will work with you and keep you on the old rate for your renewal if you tell them pricing is the reason you are going to cancel. I have done that for the past 6 years now and it has worked like a charm every single time.
Great information! I am not very creative yet so it will take me a while to outgrow Elements but I hope to, some day, get there!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM