Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Range extenders

Geo_in_KS

Reaction score
Has anyone used a parabolic antenna range booster, and if so are they any good? I knew of devices similar to this back in the early days of cell phones, they seemed to be mostly hype.

upload_2018-1-24_16-37-29.png

Some people swear by it but I'd rather go with this...

FPVLR-Long-Range-Kit-for-3DR-SOLO-0.jpg

I have used the windsurfers when we were making them out of coke cans with the FC 40
then the P2V and have tried several of Tony's but found I had to go to high to get any distance which at the time was what I was trying to get but then tried the itelite panels and have 3 on DJI Phantoms TX's .Found them to be the best for me . Those coils get bent and they get out of tune . Antennas have came a long way in a short time .

Be aware that they are directional. You will also be reflecting the RF back into the
transmitter final with the reflectors that attach behind the stock antennas.

So dirkclod, the itelite's look good, I am curious though, with many of those I see 3 connectors (screw on type), I have a P3 SE and it only has one antenna.
itelite does have an option for mine and that also has the 3 connectors, but it also has the thinner wires to do a mod. I assume that is the only way on my model? I hesitate with that. And from what Ive read, as Rodger stated, they are directional (very much so), how has your experience been? Do they need to be pointed directly at the quad?

Sorry, I watched their video and answered my own question. It doesnt seem too difficult.

Parabolic antenna boosters, AKA Windsurfers are the cheapest easiest way to more than double your range. Yes, you have to be aware of how directional they are; point 'em where the bird flies. Sounds easy enough but when the bird is overhead you'll have to contort and get 'em aimed up - makes seeing the screen tricky and could necessitate a neck massage post flight.

Years ago on one of my first flights I lost connection to the drone and was freaking out. I thought DJI had sold me a lemon but found out it was pilot error. I was directly overhead with the antennas pointing forward instead of up. Another flight where I was mapping a property, the drone landed prematurely due to lost connection. Same problem, not pointing the antennas at the drone. I thought autonomous flight meant I could take a nap and the program would wake me up when it was completed :)

So dirkclod, the itelite's look good, I am curious though, with many of those I see 3 connectors (screw on type), I have a P3 SE and it only has one antenna.
itelite does have an option for mine and that also has the 3 connectors, but it also has the thinner wires to do a mod. I assume that is the only way on my model? I hesitate with that. And from what Ive read, as Rodger stated, they are directional (very much so), how has your experience been? Do they need to be pointed directly at the quad?
Have not been in a SE so can't say about those .
2 of the connecters are for 2.4 and the other 5.8 . I believe Roger's statement was directed at the windsurfers but yes you have to point it at the drone as well as the FPVLR's if you really are going out but I did find I could go lower with the panels than Tony's and believe me I tried every way you could with both .
Now as far as my experience has been I wouldn't have all mine with them if I did not find them to suit me the best .
Now I missed your next post I just quoted and the mod is easy but understand I do fly in a completely noise free area and was doing all these test for distance as thats what my game was then and has changed now .I was just trying to push wifi as far as I could and did .
Only thing that stoped me from going farther than I did was the battery .
And sorry for the late response but just got on .:)

Parabolics work - use mine frequently when in heavy tree cover. They do increase pentration through obstructions (which is primarily why I tried the cheap investment.) Yes, they are directional, however I've had my P4P on 5.8ghz directly overhead at 399' with no loss of signal. Will these compete with a powered booster? No, but considering the cost to buy or make them, it's a no-brainer.

Hey @AerialZ, they do indeed compare with powered boosters, though not in all cases. And there are cases where powered boosters don't cut the mustard. There are so many longest range threads around the net and so many ways to skin this cat with widely varying results. So, IMHO unless your wanting to fly inordinately far and or high, you can't go wrong with a pair of cheap windsurfers. Not complex, you don't have to understand electronics or antenna gain, impedance, patterns, dbi etc. They just work, for cheap or free and go on in seconds.

Like you, I fight Fort Collins foliage with mine. I always put them on unless I'm just flying within twenty feet of myself. I had a gig to photograph a shopping center and had to fly pretty far to the opposite side of the property from where I was standing and all it took was my cheap windsurfers to get the job done. At first blush I didn't think I would need them but am glad I put them on. Saved me a trip back and forth:)

Reactions: AerialZ
Thanks everyone for all of your valuable input, I really appreciate it! I think Ill try a parabolic one first and go from there. The price is surely right.

Parabolic antenna boosters, AKA Windsurfers are the cheapest easiest way to more than double your range. Yes, you have to be aware of how directional they are; point 'em where the bird flies. Sounds easy enough but when the bird is overhead you'll have to contort and get 'em aimed up - makes seeing the screen tricky and could necessitate a neck massage post flight.

Years ago on one of my first flights I lost connection to the drone and was freaking out. I thought DJI had sold me a lemon but found out it was pilot error. I was directly overhead with the antennas pointing forward instead of up. Another flight where I was mapping a property, the drone landed prematurely due to lost connection. Same problem, not pointing the antennas at the drone. I thought autonomous flight meant I could take a nap and the program would wake me up when it was completed :)

Just keep in mind that they are not truly parabolic, but a partial circle. It makes a difference

Has anyone used a parabolic antenna range booster, and if so are they any good? I knew of devices similar to this back in the early days of cell phones, they seemed to be mostly hype.

View attachment 142

I use them and they do work. Mine appear to be copper and it is always better to focus the signal than waste half beaming back to and behind you.
While I do get better range, remember that these are simply parabolic and not signal booster / amplifiers. Temper expectations.

I use them and they do work. Mine appear to be copper and it is always better to focus the signal than waste half beaming back to and behind you.
While I do get better range, remember that these are simply parabolic and not signal booster / amplifiers. Temper expectations.

True, not an amplifier, just concentrating the signal in one direction.

View attachment 142
Never found anything that lasts as long or has outperformed the Intelite. Have them on my phantoms and yuneec. The mavic pro and inspire 2 don't need them.

I've read everything in this thread about increasing distance but I'm not sure its what I'm looking for. I work for a local police department and we are starting to build up our fleet. I'm curious if anyone knows much about increasing distance for a matrice 200 and 210. I know Chula Vista has done some stuff. any input?

Thanks everyone for all of your valuable input, I really appreciate it! I think Ill try a parabolic one first and go from there. The price is surely right.

The parabolics do help, never fly w/o mine. Signal strength is improved. I can't answer for increased distance as that is never a concern for me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM