Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

re: new regs and strobes

CaryG

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the new 107 regs re: night flights require strobes in addition to the lights already on a M2P? If so, any recommendations for strobes that meet specs?

Can confirm. You need a strobe light that can be visible from 3SM+. The lights that come on the M2P are not sufficient for this.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the new 107 regs re: night flights require strobes in addition to the lights already on a M2P? If so, any recommendations for strobes that meet specs?
Affirmative, strobe lights are required as well as recurrent training that includes night operations.
You can check out this video that does a comparison of different strobe lights.

also lume cubes has great led lights if you are actually doing video or shooting photos at night. Awesome visibility. I attached them to the body of my m2p and can film from 400' agl with no problem.

Affirmative, strobe lights are required as well as recurrent training that includes night operations.
You can check out this video that does a comparison of different strobe lights.

Very useful video. Cuts through all the clutter. Thanks...

Question: Is the strobe flashing visible when capturing videos? Are there issues with bounce-back from nearby objects or lingering haze??

Last edited:

Question: Is the strobe flashing visible when capturing videos? Are there issues with bounce-back from nearby objects or lingering haze??
Not if you put the strobe on top of the drone

I believe if you mount top center you shouldn’t have any issues. This is also the ideal place so that manned aircraft can see the UAV. If you’re flying in hazy conditions or close to objects I’m pretty sure you’ll get bounce back but don’t quote me on this as I’ve never filmed at night with strobes.

I believe if you mount top center you shouldn’t have any issues. This is also the ideal place so that manned aircraft can see the UAV. If you’re flying in hazy conditions or close to objects I’m pretty sure you’ll get bounce back but don’t quote me on this as I’ve never filmed at night with strobes.
Yes the under belly strobe can get bounce back when shooting video depending on surrounding and altitude. One of the drones I am building will have a top and belly mounted strobe that is RC controlled and will have the ability to turn off the belly strobe independently. The lower is more for use with the RPIC and VO for use in bad weather or at night at a distance.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlanzFPV