Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Real Estate Photography

I have been filming real estate for 3 years. And have experienced all of what has been posted thus far, Agents do not want to upfront $$. They want to pay few $$. Many agents are not in it full time....someone who lost a job and tries real estate, mom's with kid's in school looking to add a few bucks to the income, retirees looking to add revenue, etc, etc. Many/most are not business oriented, so they don't get the concept of differentiating yourself, or of spending money to make money, marketing and so on.

I have made presentations to over a hundred agents, in several real estate offices across multiple R.E. brands using a brief powerpoint to show the benefits and values with a video reel example of my work to almost no avail. I have one agent, who is always at the top in his office and I do ALL of his listings. Almost all are homes over $500k, many at or over $1m. He has found the aerial videos/photos help him sell homes faster. I finally, after 2 years, am beginning to get calls from other agents in the office. Also, I do inside photos and outside aerial work for many of my jobs. This is a tough place to make money. The key is to get to the top producers. I found that the videos need to be no more than a minute, clients get bored after 30 seconds. Although, some agents will request up to 2 minutes (too long). They should be like commercials, short and to the point. We're not creating movies.

I have also done work for real estate developers. They are more willing to spend $$$......why.....they are business people. They understand the benefit and value. Same for golf courses and country clubs. These are the better revenue generators.
Not here in Florida, businesses don't like to spend any money. I did an exercise with Brokers, I offered to do aerial video and pics and if the home was sold I would get paid, if it didn't I do not get paid. NOT A NIBBLE!

Not here in Florida, businesses don't like to spend any money. I did an exercise with Brokers, I offered to do aerial video and pics and if the home was sold I would get paid, if it didn't I do not get paid. NOT A NIBBLE!

That's not good business. What do you have to be? pending whether or not it sells?
Normally if they are expensive houses the investment of a photographic flight should not be a problem. The commissions they have are large so that it could represent a significant expense of profits, taking into account that it is an added value to encourage sales.

It's as easy as reaching an agreement, if you order many flights under the price for each one.

Another thing is that there is still no mentality as in other sectors. The drone sector still suffers from a great deal of ignorance. It will normalize over time.

There are many good ideas here, some I had never thought of.

I just wanted to mention the value of networking with people in many walks of life, not just real estate.

Recently I worked as a volunteer on a local political campaign. (First and last time:confused:) While doing so I met several business owners, the Mayor, and some city council members who are also business owners. I mentioned that I do drone photography and got a little real estate business, some golf course inspections and I have my foot in the door to contract with the city to do roof inspections and other things that currently require a bucket truck or climbing up onto a roof.

You just gotta get out and talk to people- sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

First I wanted to say that I think it's great that someone started this specific forum. Now, for my 2 cents worth:

I've been doing RE photography for about 4 years but just got into the aerial thing when a couple clients asked me about it. When Part 107 came around, I had already studied up and tested the first day and been offering aerials ever since.

Per this thread, I can say that I've found, here in Albuquerque, NM, that my clients aren't too concerned with long aerial video. What we've sort of settled on is that I usually give them 5-7 good stills from different angles and then maybe a 15 sec fly in or 20 sec orbit or, sometimes, both. A couple of my clients said that potential buyers don't want a ton of exterior work before they get to the interior shots so that's what I give them.

Second point that I won't get deeply in to is price. Just based on my limited research, I have to say that realtors here are a bit on the "conservative" side in what they will pay. I charge as much as I can hope for but the agents just don't seem to appreciate the effort we go to to get a 107, get an expensive drone, practice/learn, edit, etc. I hope the rest of you have at least a few clients who properly appreciate what it takes to add aerial work to our ground work.

Hope all are getting a good start to 2018 and I'll look forward to seeing more of what you all say on this forum.

Bob
Hi Bob- I'm was born and raised in Albuquerque and go back to visit from time to time. I was wondering if you wouldn't mind discussing price just a little bit to give people some idea of what to expect.

Having some ballpark numbers might help folks decide whether real estate is the way they want to go.:)

I just wanted to mention the value of networking with people in many walks of life, not just real estate.

Recently I worked as a volunteer on a local political campaign. (First and last time:confused:) While doing so I met several business owners, the Mayor, and some city council members who are also business owners. I mentioned that I do drone photography and got a little real estate business, some golf course inspections and I have my foot in the door to contract with the city to do roof inspections and other things that currently require a bucket truck or climbing up onto a roof.

You just gotta get out and talk to people- sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

This is pretty much how we get our work. My wife volunteers and networks with a lot of business owners, Mayor, Chief of Police and others and the jobs start trickling in and then expanding.

Reactions: Linval Ebanks
That's not good business. What do you have to be? pending whether or not it sells?
Normally if they are expensive houses the investment of a photographic flight should not be a problem. The commissions they have are large so that it could represent a significant expense of profits, taking into account that it is an added value to encourage sales.

It's as easy as reaching an agreement, if you order many flights under the price for each one.

Another thing is that there is still no mentality as in other sectors. The drone sector still suffers from a great deal of ignorance. It will normalize over time.
My point is, that the real estate market in most cases could care less about aerials. Brokers are doing this illegally and know it ain't going to bite them

Reactions: Maddog
My point is, that the real estate market in most cases could care less about aerials. Brokers are doing this illegally and know it ain't going to bite them

Well, that's a serious problem. We must denounce these practices without hesitation. How much money are we investing in doing things legally so that then come 4 guys ready to steal? You can't say any different.

In Spain the airspace control agency, AESA, has opened 120 dossier with a total fine of €500,000 in the two years of the initial law that regulated the market. With amounts between 10,000 and 15,000 €. Some have gone so far that the fine has been much higher. A new regulatory regime has recently been approved that will make it more difficult to detect those who do not comply with the rules, but I imagine that fines will increase exponentially. For amateurs up to €225,000 fine, for professionals up to €4,500,000 fine. It's not to be taken lightly.

well that is a sort of a good point, how much revenue could you generate from fines, if someone from the FAA actually tried to enforce the rules on the books

well that is a sort of a good point, how much revenue could you generate from fines, if someone from the FAA actually tried to enforce the rules on the books

This is when they tell you that fines are never for collection purposes :p:p

Although it is true that if we are not afraid of fines, everyone will do what they want.

Unless you can get your foot in the door with top producers most times your going to run up on the middle of the road agent who isn’t banging out tons of closings.. Really though how many top producers can you rope in while all the others are after the same top producers. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out who is the boss in your town.

I have been a real estate agent for many years. I have been involved in every aspect of real estate for some time. The mentality that agents are cash beast raking in tons of commissions is just total b.s., currently myself and a friend operate a law office with a main focus on real estate closings. We also buy and sell flips and do some listings currently I steer hard any direction from buyers... lol.

Imagine this... normally you charge 200 for your service, new guy comes to town and he is only charging 125.00 well he is taking your clients, **** now what on top of that some other idiot is now charging 50.00 and even though he is just so so people are using him as well. You feel the noose around your neck.

In the metro Atlanta market many of these budget real estate companies have been coming to town so the normal 6% total commission to be split between listing and selling agent is being chopped down to 5 or Less. Many sellers will say “I will use you on my next purchased if you only charge me 4%, 1 to you to list and 3 to the buyers agent.”agents are giving kick backs under the table just to get listings. The home prices have shot through the roof and many loans are falling apart before closing. I had two last week, real estate has to be just a piece of the pie and that’s it otherwise you are dead from the start, but thinking agents are just a bunch of greedy peeps think again, so many of them swing from Closing to Closing by the skin of their teeth. Obviously offering service for free until property closes may not be your bag but maybe offer a few for free to be used so they could see the potential value added then have them on the hook cause at the end of the day if anything helps to get a deal to the table and check in hand that’s all that matters. And target the right agents. Not just the heavy hitters but even the middle of the road few here and there if they are working a market that would benefit from this service. I mean I’m not going to pay a guy or gal to shoot some aerial video of my listing to showcase the fact that you could stand on the roof and piss on every house they are so close. Lol. But estate lots and so on, can always try to direct mail the richy rich. I mean what loaded person doesn’t want a aerial shot to post up in the man cave for bragging rights. Plenty of opportunities to be had just got to find your angle. Networking is key since referrals are like liquid gold.

It's a very competitive market and it happens everywhere. The aerial images only make sense on a monitor in the headquarters of the company, the remaining 99.9% is through Internet where it makes much more sense. Nowadays any company that does not have a presence on the Internet does not "exist" and it is precisely where those aerial images are the ones that give a high added value.

Unless you can get your foot in the door with top producers most times your going to run up on the middle of the road agent who isn’t banging out tons of closings.. Really though how many top producers can you rope in while all the others are after the same top producers. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out who is the boss in your town.

I have been a real estate agent for many years. I have been involved in every aspect of real estate for some time. The mentality that agents are cash beast raking in tons of commissions is just total b.s., currently myself and a friend operate a law office with a main focus on real estate closings. We also buy and sell flips and do some listings currently I steer hard any direction from buyers... lol.

Imagine this... normally you charge 200 for your service, new guy comes to town and he is only charging 125.00 well he is taking your clients, **** now what on top of that some other idiot is now charging 50.00 and even though he is just so so people are using him as well. You feel the noose around your neck.

In the metro Atlanta market many of these budget real estate companies have been coming to town so the normal 6% total commission to be split between listing and selling agent is being chopped down to 5 or Less. Many sellers will say “I will use you on my next purchased if you only charge me 4%, 1 to you to list and 3 to the buyers agent.”agents are giving kick backs under the table just to get listings. The home prices have shot through the roof and many loans are falling apart before closing. I had two last week, real estate has to be just a piece of the pie and that’s it otherwise you are dead from the start, but thinking agents are just a bunch of greedy peeps think again, so many of them swing from Closing to Closing by the skin of their teeth. Obviously offering service for free until property closes may not be your bag but maybe offer a few for free to be used so they could see the potential value added then have them on the hook cause at the end of the day if anything helps to get a deal to the table and check in hand that’s all that matters. And target the right agents. Not just the heavy hitters but even the middle of the road few here and there if they are working a market that would benefit from this service. I mean I’m not going to pay a guy or gal to shoot some aerial video of my listing to showcase the fact that you could stand on the roof and piss on every house they are so close. Lol. But estate lots and so on, can always try to direct mail the richy rich. I mean what loaded person doesn’t want a aerial shot to post up in the man cave for bragging rights. Plenty of opportunities to be had just got to find your angle. Networking is key since referrals are like liquid gold.
Good point JDub, however I am not involved in real estate, I was trying to see what the market is like in that arena. I mainly stick to construction.
I agree there are those snakes that will sell at rock bottom prices, hopefully they will go away.

All great questions and comments...

Let me offer an ARTICLE that I wrote last year just to help promote myself and if anyone reads it could compete with me, but they still have to be good, right!

I think you will find a lot of answers to your questions here. The examples at the bottom of the article are very old, so I am putting some newer samples below.

Separate Yourself From the Birds-Eye View!
I see a lot of folks with very high altitude shots of homes and it just doesn't "sell" the home. I prefer to use the drone as a ladder in effect to capture the home from a perspective that the buyer may actually never see again.

Sell the Realtor to get them to Pay

There is a saying in the real estate industry, "Listings Last!" The translation is that if you have listings, then you will last as a realtor and steel sharpens steel, right!?

I get most of my clients because they see work that not just any Joe with a quad can do. You need to be an extension of their marketing. Help them show the market that they offer more in marketing a home than the other realtor.

They are REALLY paying for a self-promotional tool if you do you job right.

With real estate photography you should be good, but remember that a lot of these are throwaways. They normally have 30 days to sell them otherwise they may get booted for another realtor. Which is why they are reluctant to pay top dollar. In a hot market like right now, that's unlikely unless the sellers are just unrealistic on price.

Remember, the best selling angle is to let the agent know that you will portray them as the best marketer for properties and in a hot market the real battle is them getting the listings.

I have adopted shooting interiors for my aerial clients as a one-stop shop, but no one is gonna get rich just doing interiors, unless you have 40 shooters working for you. In the end, I use video to elevate my company above others (pun intended).

Now, my videos are by no means perfect, but the realtors love them and I work on my craft on every shoot.

Example 1: $800K+ home (optimized for social media)

Example 2: Loft - really selling the area

Example 3: $700K+ home

Nice videos, it makes me want to buy a house like that :rolleyes:

I just need the 800K ;)

The way you've done it is attractive, good work, I like it :)

It is clear that only in houses with high economic value compensates sellers to invest. Or whole buildings or examples like the ones you've put in another way I don't think they'll hire.

Reactions: dpwarren

th

Wow I'm just going to my first networking type of seminar with the State of Delaware and SBA on Thursday

Nice videos, it makes me want to buy a house like that :rolleyes:

The way you've done it is attractive, good work, I like it :)

It is clear that only in houses with high economic value compensates sellers to invest. Or whole buildings or examples like the ones you've put in another way I don't think they'll hire.

I think point has still been missed... Great realtors don't shoot the home just for the home. They use the videos and great photos as a marketing piece for themselves.

My philosophy has been to my business based upon relationships and averages and not trying to get a car note on every shoot.

Especially when starting off, I really worked hard to please every client no matter the value of the home or what I was getting paid, now the word is out that if you want good work in the area, then call me.

Here are some lower value homes:

$239K - choppy flying because I was flying under the tree canopy most of the time or down a trail with a P4.

$269K - Tight Neighborhood but they wanted it to stand out.

Now, sure higher-end homes are an easier sell, but here are some fun facts to think about:
  • I go against what an earlier poster said about targeting Top Producers...They already get listings. I like to go after the up and coming agents or those that are progressive and haven't hit their stride yet.
  • If you do your job right, then you can create a market for yourself. "Well, if Realtor X is doing it, then I have to be doing it!"
  • Real Estate is HOT right up until IT IS NOT! -- Meaning, be ready for the drop off. Seller's hate it when the house sits and doesn't get showings... If your photos and videos are all over your local social media sites (Facebook), then instead of pulling back good/smart agents are going to invest more in marketing when the drops happen.
If you want to see more projects, feel free to surf my YouTube: dpwarren Aerial Photography

I think point has still been missed... Great realtors don't shoot the home just for the home. They use the videos and great photos as a marketing piece for themselves.

My philosophy has been to my business based upon relationships and averages and not trying to get a car note on every shoot.

Especially when starting off, I really worked hard to please every client no matter the value of the home or what I was getting paid, now the word is out that if you want good work in the area, then call me.

Here are some lower value homes:

$239K - choppy flying because I was flying under the tree canopy most of the time or down a trail with a P4.

$269K - Tight Neighborhood but they wanted it to stand out.

Now, sure higher-end homes are an easier sell, but here are some fun facts to think about:
  • I go against what an earlier poster said about targeting Top Producers...They already get listings. I like to go after the up and coming agents or those that are progressive and haven't hit their stride yet.
  • If you do your job right, then you can create a market for yourself. "Well, if Realtor X is doing it, then I have to be doing it!"
  • Real Estate is HOT right up until IT IS NOT! -- Meaning, be ready for the drop off. Seller's hate it when the house sits and doesn't get showings... If your photos and videos are all over your local social media sites (Facebook), then instead of pulling back good/smart agents are going to invest more in marketing when the drops happen.
If you want to see more projects, feel free to surf my YouTube: dpwarren Aerial Photography
I think the point of all these posts' is to do whatever works for you.:)

Thinking a little more deeply, I see three points that I think are very important

• Personalized promotion of the house seller. Putting the photo and contact details of that seller in particular encourages anyone who wants to re-contract image services. The market I think is different in the USA than in my country but could be extrapolated to the company.
  • The post-production work, not only the images taken with the drone, the effects for the photos and in conjunction with the music makes it attractive to watch. Everything matters.
  • The promotion of your own business, whoever sees it that is also a salesman has an easy and quick way to get in touch with you.
These details, however silly they may seem, make all parties benefit. Knowing how to sell own's services is something very important too. Like any business, experience and thinking about things make for good results. What does the customer need? What do you want to sell and how? How do I sell my services taking advantage of the work I do for others? I like it and it makes me think of new things, thx :)

Reactions: dpwarren
Have you given any thought to offering 360 degree interactive panos? This allows the potential buyer to view the area around the property including neighboring homes and streets. You can also add ‘pins’ to points of interest and their distances from the property in Ps. POIs like schools, public transport, shopping centers etc.
Here’s an example (without pins).
okolo: Test
That Pano is pretty cool. I would like to learn more about how you make them. What software? Is it still stitched together? Or video?
thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agcopter