Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Really worth it to buy a drone for commercial purposes?

Boxer1200

Reaction score
I’ve had my 107 for a little over year, but no drone as of yet. Each time I’m about to pull the trigger, I back off due to all the regs and restrictions which I already deal with as a pilot. Buying a drone strictly as a hobby seems like more trouble than it’s worth.

With that out of the way, I’m considering it again, but looking at it as primarily a tool with some hobby work. I’m considering a MP2 as a starting point. My initial goal would be to make enough to at least cover the drone cost.

Is it realistic in my area (North Texas) to make a couple grand over 6-12 months doing odd jobs post covid, or is the market saturated at this point? My plan would to spend a few weeks learning the drone and software. I’d then get on Drone Base to get my feet wet followed by reaching out to a few realtors I know. Real estate seems an easy starting point. I’m taking a break from work for the next 6-7 months so it’s a good time to test this out if I do.

Boxer1200, Where is Texas are you located?

I have not had much luck with drone base, but I am in a rural area and there is not much activity in Lubbock.

In all reality, the market overall has a mess of drone operators both legal and price lowering hobbyists. The only advice I can give is to pound the pavement and work up a set of clients.

What market are you wanting to go for? Ag, Construction, real estate, news, commercials, raw videos, etc?

I know little so far, really I’d be interested in anything but real estate. Commercial real estate may be interesting. The idea of getting harassed by people in the neighborhood while trying to get shots of a home isn’t too appealing. I’ll do it though as a learning tool.

Personally I view trying to break into the drone business cold would be very difficult. I use my 107 as part of my normal job, which is environmental consulting. I use my drone to perform recon on large sites, document job progress, obtain hi definition images of the site and surrounding areas and so on. All very mundane but a huge value added for my clients and it makes my job easier.

I always suggest people go with what they know. If you are looking for a purpose to use a drone it will be a much tougher task. Also, knowing a bit about photography is a huge help. I've been a life-long amateur photographer and that has been a big help.

Reactions: BigAl07
@Boxer1200 - do you do photography already? Most real estate agents would most likely want want "still" shots inside the house also. If you could supply a complete package for the agent I feel you would have a much better chance of getting business. Before I invested the money of the drone, business insurance, business cards, etc I would contact a few agents to get an idea if the work is out there.

Do it commercially for industry, a lot more money there. I currently do archaeological field mapping, and other natural resources. I would think in Texas you might do something with the petroleum Or orher large business, such as mapping infrastructure, aerial inspections of roofs, aerial construction photography and things like that. Go out and offer to do a couple free ones at car dealerships or something like that in exchange of getting a release agreement to be able to use it for your advertising, Look up the archaeological conservancy, State Parks or other land managers in Texas and see if there’s any volunteer gigs you can do to get some experience and references, too. Also hit up your local newspaper or TV stations, they might be interested in having you do some aerials for them on call basis as well. There’s also other volunteer groups like your local search and rescue groups that may need help if you go through some training for it first - Do a search for DSAR and others here to find out more about that.

By the way, as for getting into commercial aerial mapping -shameless sales plug- I’m currently selling a ground control point kit for doing aerial mapping -check out the classifieds here.

Last edited:
I contract to Multivista and we do construction documentation with drones. Multivista has two branches in the Dallas area. Before you make any decisions I would have a chat with them. Not only that unlike realestate, they pay very well, at least in my area they do. Each branch is privately owned but supported by Multivista corporate out of British Columbia.

As for making money with real-estate, you will stave, most realtors are so cheap they squeak when they walk. I haven't seen any good money come out of drone base.

As for the pilot business, it's in the dumps right now especially if your low on the seniority list.

Best of luck to you. Of course you could fly for UPS for nothing, I don't know if they have gotten any better but in the late 70 they offered me 900 buck a month, what a joke.

Thankfully, I’ve got 14 years flying at my current company, so fingers crossed I’ll still have work on the backside of this mess.

Multivista and the above industrial ideas sound really interesting. I’m really just looking to make enough over maybe the next year to say it paid for the drone. Then, after that if I can make some side money to support other hobbies that would be icing on the cake. I have an expensive RC racing habit to supplement.

One other thing about Multivista, they have a tremendous training program. They send all their pilots to AVION school in Huntsville, AL, same guys the train the Army UAV pilots, it's a week long school and they put you through some serious flight time, they found everyone of my bad habits.

Thankfully, I’ve got 14 years flying at my current company, so fingers crossed I’ll still have work on the backside of this mess.

Multivista and the above industrial ideas sound really interesting. I’m really just looking to make enough over maybe the next year to say it paid for the drone. Then, after that if I can make some side money to support other hobbies that would be icing on the cake. I have an expensive RC racing habit to supplement.

You need to talk to BigA, he's a big RC guy.

If you’re interested in drones, buy a good one and fly it as a hobby. If you get good enough at it and stumble on paying jobs, move accordingly. There are thousands of people that bought drones thinking they could start making money with them. There’s an equal or greater number that found to the contrary.

Reactions: LUIS MARTINEZ
I would start off flying for fun and build some skill sets. Then you need to work on your photography game BIG time. In order to even had a self sustaining business you'll need to be competent at the following (and more):

1. Safe, accurate, PRECISE flying of the aircraft
  2. Composition and Photography skills
  3. Photo/Video Editing skills
  4. Marketing Skills (in this day and age they clients are NOT going to come knocking your door down.. that was 2013/14 days)
  5. Book Keeping skills

And many others I'm overlooking at the moment.

Remember flying the drone is only a process not the business.... we're actually "Data Acquisition Experts" and if your skills aren't up to the task you are going to have a tough time even breaking even. While on the topic... "Breaking even" shouldn't be your goal. Imagine if someone came to your company wanting to fly (and compete for your job/career) and they started the $$ negotiation with "I only need to make enough $$ to pay for my training DVD's to get my PPL." You're just diluting the market IMHO. Aim HIGH and don't settle for beer $$.

I would start off flying for fun and build some skill sets. Then you need to work on your photography game BIG time. In order to even had a self sustaining business you'll need to be competent at the following (and more):

1. Safe, accurate, PRECISE flying of the aircraft
  2. Composition and Photography skills
  3. Photo/Video Editing skills
  4. Marketing Skills (in this day and age they clients are NOT going to come knocking your door down.. that was 2013/14 days)
  5. Book Keeping skills

And many others I'm overlooking at the moment.

Remember flying the drone is only a process not the business.... we're actually "Data Acquisition Experts" and if your skills aren't up to the task you are going to have a tough time even breaking even. While on the topic... "Breaking even" shouldn't be your goal. Imagine if someone came to your company wanting to fly (and compete for your job/career) and they started the $$ negotiation with "I only need to make enough $$ to pay for my training DVD's to get my PPL." You're just diluting the market IMHO. Aim HIGH and don't settle for beer $$.

All very good points.

Understood. I thought about the break even comment after I posted that. I’m a pilot by profession and get really irritated with the Will Fly For Food concept. Also get annoyed when I work with someone who says they don’t need the job and just do it for fun. I worked hard and spent a lot of $$ to get where I’m at. It’s work. Not a hobby...for me anyway. If a person or group devalues themselves, it hurts the whole.

I think I’ll probably pick one up soon, and start working with it. I like the idea of getting competent enough I could provide a service for someone, but we’ll see.

A Mavic Pro 2 is cheap, reliable and fun. Has a great payload (vs. duo or enterprise), and if you wanted, you could make money with that system (vehicle capability wise). Big Al is spot on re: data acquisition/capture. Fly for show, data for dough. Vehicle is a means to an end.

Always thought there would be money in being a guy who "trains" people's AI/ML models for them....

When I started in this field five years ago, I thought real estate was the place I would really make in. Turned out, that was the least profitable. Now, everyone in an real estate office has someone they know or is working in the office with a drone. So most of the work is already being done in-house with these folks. And as said in one of the posts above …. these agents are cheap and want you to do the work for near nothing.
I retired 8 years ago and went back to school, got a degree in multimedia communications, and fell in love with videography. Basically starting from nothing, I have been able to work my way into several government entities …. two city and one county … where I create training, PSA's, (Did two videos for the city of Port Angeles, highlighting the mayor and city managers response to CV19 a couple weeks ago) and construction documentation, such as bridge construction and large multi-agency projects in the area. I am also proficient at photography and video editing .... which is crucial if you want to stand out from the crowd. In my opinion, not only getting proficient with your drone (I have the Mavic 2 Pro and Phantom 4 Pro V2), but taking a course on video editing (or just get on YouTube .. lot's of training for free there) will help your career immensely! A business course is also a good idea if you haven't had the opportunity.
Now I am probably different than most on this board in the sense that only about 40% of my business is drone related. For me the drone is another camera angle … only aerial. Some jobs are almost all drone work …. others not at all. But having the ability to do either has kept me in business and doing well. I have as much work as I want, as some of the contracts I have will take me through the summer into the fall …. once the cv19 stuff is finished of course! Hope that helps. Good luck to you in any event!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerardH143