Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Recommendations of where to find VOs? Specifically for night flights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

makneyse

Reaction score
Hey All,

I recently got my Daylight Operations waiver and need to add some nighttime visual observers to my crew. Before I reach out to my network of friends on Facebook, I wanted to see if there was a good resource in the drone community where one might find them?

I know the nighttime VOs don't need to be Part 107 but do need to take and pass a nighttime course (I've found them from anywhere between $40 - $200 online).

Outside of the various job sites, anyone know of a good place where drone crews can be found based on their location?

Thanks for the help!

Mark

Last edited:
I know the nighttime VOs don't need to be Part 107 but do need to take and pass a nighttime course (I've found them from anywhere between $40 - $200 online).

Just a comment. I guess it depends on you application for the waiver. My waiver assigns to me the responsibility to train and okay my VO's because I assumed that responsibility in my app.
It would be interesting to know what language others used in this regard on their app.

"Prior to conducting operations that are the subject of this Waiver, the remote PIC and VO must be trained, as described in the Waiver application,..."

...My waiver assigns to me the responsibility to train and okay my VO's because I assumed that responsibility in my app..

X2. It is my responsibility to train, test, and keep records of this on my VO's. I have my own training materials, test, and roster. The roster also keeps track of my Night Birds.

Thanks Dave and Fred. That's interesting! I guess I just assumed they had to take a course so that's how I worded my application. But based on your successful applications, I suppose if the VOs are trained, tested and there's a paper trail, I guess the FAA is happy.

In my case, I'm prepared to pay the $40 test fee for people interested in becoming my nighttime VOs. I just need to find that balance of people I can trust yet are flexible enough in their schedules so they can help when I need them. That's why I was wondering if there was wider pool of locals I could find that might already have taken the nighttime course - even if they haven't gotten daylight operations waivers themselves. I'm guessing that's a pretty small group...

Hey All,

I recently got my Daylight Operations waiver and need to add some nighttime visual observers to my crew. Before I reach out to my network of friends on Facebook, I wanted to see if there was a good resource in the drone community where one might find them?

Outside of the various job sites, anyone know of a good place where drone crews can be found based on their location?

Thanks for the help!

Mark
Don't pay for VO training, I'll give you my materials.
[email protected]

Just a comment. I guess it depends on you application for the waiver. My waiver assigns to me the responsibility to train and okay my VO's because I assumed that responsibility in my app.
It would be interesting to know what language others used in this regard on their app.

"Prior to conducting operations that are the subject of this Waiver, the remote PIC and VO must be trained, as described in the Waiver application,..."
Ditto, mine a well

Reactions: makneyse
Hey All,

Thanks for the help!

Mark
Hey All,

Thanks for the help!

Mark
I roped in my College age daughter and her friend to get compliant on my Waiver and they work for peanuts. As long as I bring bug spray.

Reactions: makneyse
Thanks again Everyone for the help! I've been able to find a couple FB friends that are interested and then got a few more from a local drone Facebook group I'm a part of. Luis, your training materials are already getting used. Thank you!

One follow up question: For you guys that are doing the training yourselves, what kind of proof are you keeping on hand in case the FAA ever comes knocking? Just the completed tests or do you create some sort of certificate?
Thanks again for the help!

Mark

Thanks again Everyone for the help! I've been able to find a couple FB friends that are interested and then got a few more from a local drone Facebook group I'm a part of. Luis, your training materials are already getting used. Thank you!

One follow up question: For you guys that are doing the training yourselves, what kind of proof are you keeping on hand in case the FAA ever comes knocking? Just the completed tests or do you create some sort of certificate?
Thanks again for the help!

Mark
I keep the graded exams on file.

I kinda prefer Boone's Farm or for the older guys Thunderbird.

Reactions: BigL
Luckily, my 4 year old already tells me every time he sees an airplane so I guess we just need to work on heading and airspeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM