Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Recurrent Question

TreeLineView

DSAR Member
Reaction score
It is time for me to take my recurrent exam for Part 107. I just bought a Recreational drone that I will be flying when not working. Do 107 pilots also need to take the Trust course and have a cert when only flying Recreational flights?

Reactions: wradar
Pretty sure 107 covers you for both. Virtually impossible to fail either the recurrent or the trust so I took them both. Time invested is very modest.

Reactions: SkyTec
It is time for me to take my recurrent exam for Part 107. I just bought a Recreational drone that I will be flying when not working. Do 107 pilots also need to take the Trust course and have a cert when only flying Recreational flights?
I almost exclusively fly part 107 now and never have taken the trust. I have taken the recurrent and assume that I'm covered should I decide to fly recreationally. But certainly, would be interested in other replies to this question.

There are a few rule variations between Part 107 and recreational. If you intend to fly recreational and are questioned by authorities, technically you should have a TRUST certificate and a copy of the CBO rule that you are following. Take the test on Pilot Institute, it's easy and you can print your certificate right away. I'm Part 107 and have also taken the TRUST test (more like a multiple choice until you pass). Your 107 certification makes the TRUST test very easy as you'll already know most if not all of the answers.

There are a few rule variations between Part 107 and recreational. If you intend to fly recreational and are questioned by authorities, technically you should have a TRUST certificate and a copy of the CBO rule that you are following. Take the test on Pilot Institute, it's easy and you can print your certificate right away. I'm Part 107 and have also taken the TRUST test (more like a multiple choice until you pass). Your 107 certification makes the TRUST test very easy as you'll already know most if not all of the answers.
Thank you for your input, MavicAir2Marc.

Reactions: MavicAir2Marc
You need to have the trust certificate if you want to fly recreationally, otherwise you're flying under part 107.

There is no practical reason for someone that is CURRENT with their Part 107 cert. to operate as a recreational flyer. Nothing wrong with taking the TRUST course though. The FAA recommends anyone that holds current 107 cert to fly under the cert. Flying for non-business doesn't mean you can't, or shouldn't operate under your 107 which gives you greater freedom.

There is no practical reason for someone that is CURRENT with their Part 107 cert. to operate as a recreational flyer. Nothing wrong with taking the TRUST course though. The FAA recommends anyone that holds current 107 cert to fly under the cert. Flying for non-business doesn't mean you can't, or shouldn't operate under your 107 which gives you greater freedom.
Exactly how I feel about it. That's why I do my preflight each time and always list flight under part 107. It always can be related to my business.

I always fly under my part 107 but I have a trust certificate, just in case one day I decide to fly recreationally.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeffN