Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Recurrent test several months after expiration

Teelions

Reaction score
I was suppose to take my recurrent test last winter when the pandemic hit and everything, incl testing centers, closed down. I'm going to start studying again to get up to speed for the test but was wondering if there was a time window as to when you are allowed to re-certify. If I end up taking the test in October then it would be ten months since my current cert expired.

I was suppose to take my recurrent test last winter when the pandemic hit and everything, incl testing centers, closed down. I'm going to start studying again to get up to speed for the test but was wondering if there was a time window as to when you are allowed to re-certify. If I end up taking the test in October then it would be ten months since my current cert expired.

Your cert is good for two years. If you re-cert this month (Sept) then the current cert is valid through the last day of Sept 2022. Your UAS certificate never expires (until surrendered or revoked); your currency does. You will be updating your currency date by recertifying. BigAl will correct me if I am wrong.

Your cert is good for two years. If you re-cert this month (Sept) then the current cert is valid through the last day of Sept 2022. Your UAS certificate never expires (until surrendered or revoked); your currency does. You will be updating your currency date by recertifying. BigAl will correct me if I am wrong.

That's 100% correct @R Martin

Also note you will NOT get a new "Card" unless you order one. You print off the finished test results and store them in your "Documents" for review and/or keep them electronically on your device. I suggest both :)

Thanks for you answers. But I guess I didn't ask my question correctly. I mean, of course as someone who has passed the original test and have been involved in the industry that I would l know that the cert is good for two years and that the current cert is valid through the last day of the month .You learn that the first go around. And I know that I will not get a new card as well.

So what I meant was...since it's been so long since my re-cert was due (January 2020) what is the window of time do I have to take the re-cert OR do I have to take the entire original test again now some 10 months later?

Thanks for you answers. But I guess I didn't ask my question correctly. I mean, of course as someone who has passed the original test and have been involved in the industry that I would l know that the cert is good for two years and that the current cert is valid through the last day of the month .You learn that the first go around. And I know that I will not get a new card as well.

So what I meant was...since it's been so long since my re-cert was due (January 2020) what is the window of time do I have to take the re-cert OR do I have to take the entire original test again now some 10 months later?

Nothing special. You still just have to take the recurrency test (40 questions) and you are good to go the day you pass it.

There is no Min/Max amount of time. You could take the recurrent the same day your currency dies or you can take it 2 years later. You can't utilize the benefits of P107 until you take it but as soon as you pass it you're "Current" again regardless of the time frame since your currency lapsed.

Reactions: R Martin

The thing to get in your head is that the original "certification" that your received never expires. You never have to re-test for that. The "currency" expires and you must re-test for that. When you passed and received your "certification", you also received your 2 year "currency". But they are actually separate entities. Some of us re-test for "currency" on the first day of the following month that the last currency expired in in order to "gain" a "free" month each 2 years. We have been doing that with manned aviation currency for decades (depending on if you need to be PIC for your flight review)

The thing to get in your head is that the original "certification" that your received never expires. You never have to re-test for that. The "currency" expires and you must re-test for that. When you passed and received your "certification", you also received your 2 year "currency". But they are actually separate entities. Some of us re-test for "currency" on the first day of the following month that the last currency expired in in order to "gain" a "free" month each 2 years. We have been doing that with manned aviation currency for decades (depending on if you need to be PIC for your flight review)

Thanks. That explained a lot for me.

Reactions: Dave Pitman

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM