Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Remote ID and its impact on working drone pilots

Do you feel that "unpleasant" encounters will increase after RID is enacted?

• Total voters

spamgnome

Reaction score
I know RID is 9 months away, but I'm already starting to think about how it will impact me day to day. I do about 2 jobs per week as a side hustle, mostly commercial real estate. Many of my jobs are are located in what I'd call not-so-desirable areas. I'm always aware of my surroundings, including who might hassle me out there--I work alone. Happily, I've never really been hassled, and my encounters with people have mostly involved being questioned by the people working at whatever property I'm filming. I've never been threatened...yet.

So my question is, to what degree do you feel that unpleasant encounters might increase for you once the general public knows where you are? I'm going to put this in a poll...hoping I do it correctly!

When I am working, I wear a HiViz vest and sometimes a hardhat, stand in open areas where I am easily seen, so I do not think it will change. I have had a few people come up and talk to me, but since I have my FAA Certificate visible on my vest, and look official, people have approached me as a professional. I am branching out into Real Estate photography, so that may change, but not really worried. Look like you have authority, and people won't treat you like a hobbyist trying to spy on them.

Edit: changed license to certificate being more accurate.

once the general public knows where you are

OK - I plead ignorance. I thought only you and the FAA will know where you are. Like a G.A. transponder. Enlighten me....

OK - I plead ignorance. I thought only you and the FAA will know where you are. Like a G.A. transponder. Enlighten me....
In the current iteration of the RID rules, the drone will transmit ADS-B which will include your drone's location and the RPIC location by GPS along with things like the registration number, etc. I do not see this changing much before it is fully implemented.

That data is sent out from the drone, and anyone close enough to receive the signal can get that information. Just like in a manned aircraft, the only difference is that the Pilot in this case is on the ground and someone not on the flight could walk up and cause issues.

Now, my understanding is a GA transponder is the same, because anyone that can receive the signal can get the information. There are apps for phones now, handheld receivers, and even computer receiver add-ons so you can see every plane that passes close enough to your house. It is also how some DJI drones can inform you that there are manned aircraft nearby because the drone is receiving the signal. It is on an Aviation Frequency, but anyone with the proper receiver can already get the information from manned aircraft and any drone transmitting RID. Home receivers can be as little as $30.

I see 3 sides to this, those who want to do what they want without the Gov't interfering (concerned that the FAA will use the information for enforcement), those who are concerned that some non-drone person will come at them because "It's not legal to fly a drone here!!", and those that want RID because it is required on all civilian aircraft, and we want our drones labeled as aircraft and have some of the legal protections that manned aircraft get.

That's my understanding of it anyway. I'm not following closely since it isn't "required" until Sept 2023 for legacy drones. It's the same as a manned aircraft, with an addition of pilot location.

Reactions: MikeA
In the current iteration of the RID rules, the drone will transmit ADS-B which will include your drone's location and the RPIC location by GPS along with things like the registration number, etc

If I'm not mistaken, ADS-B broadcast is not permissible for drones, as the sheer number of drones broadcasting ADS-B would be visible to manned aircraft, which have a significant radio horizon given their altitudes. Drones will use ADS-B receive to alert the RPIC of manned aircraft in the vicinity.

Also, I believe that RID transmits the aircraft's serial number and not the registration number. I'm not aware on any means of entering the registration number into the drone, and in any case, if that were possible, it would be easy to spoof RID with a fictitious registration number. The owner of the drone can be identified by the FAA by comparing the serial number being broadcast to the serial number entered in the registration process in the DroneZone database.

Kos

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM