Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Remote Identification ....

Avocet

DSAR Member
Reaction score
Website
www.kestrelsolutionsuav.com
Rest assured it's coming to a UAV near you ... I'm considering both the pros AND cons. Heck, DJI AeroScope is already in place for the GO 4 app. I'm thinking (optimistically) that WHEN remote identification is a reality, flight restrictions might ease a bit as this will, in theory, bring new levels of accountability which is a positive for most professionals. Perhaps I'm fooling myself.

It's going to be a hot topic, (already is in some water coolers), and I'm hoping to hear some noise from other's here.

Manufacturers will of course pass the expense to buyers, as it should be. I'm also hoping it curtails needless, ignorant incidents of harassment from the uninformed (LE, John Q Public, FBOs, an refuge managers, etc.) while gettin right up into the face of "Dudes w/ Drones" who do dangerous, stupid things (hopefully this won't stop them from posting to YouTube for my personal amusement).

On a last note, can't wait to hear [sic] the discussion about what to identify, who has access to the data, and just what can or will be done with said data.

When we get a feel for just how fast this will move along, we might lament THESE days of the wild west for their lack of regulations, etc.

Others thoughts?

Reactions: BigAl07
When we get a feel for just how fast this will move along, we might lament THESE days of the wild west for their lack of regulations, etc.

I already miss the Wild Wild West days for sUAS. Just 10 years ago I was able to fly mine just about anywhere in the country and was always (I mean ALWAYS) met with sheer interest and eagerness to learn more. I flew in cities, country sides, at airports, over people, businesses etc and never had the first negative interaction (even had a positive interaction with a lady whose car I flew into, while she was sitting in it reading). Not exactly the same experiences we see day in and day out now. . . .

*looking to the sky rubbing my chin and smiling*
Yes I already miss those good-ole-days of flying free and wild.

On a side note I also miss the amount of $$ that was the be made just a couple of years ago . . .

"Rest assured it's coming to a UAV near you ... I'm considering both the pros AND cons. Heck, DJI AeroScope is already in place for the GO 4 app."

DJI's track record is not that great as far as looking out for us. GeoFencing is a joke. The unlock process even more so. So my thoughts on a Chinese firm telling me where and where not a certified pilot in the US can fly, well, are less than warm and fuzzy. You want remote identification? Go install ADS-B on your aircraft. There you have it; remote identification.

"Rest assured it's coming to a UAV near you ... I'm considering both the pros AND cons. Heck, DJI AeroScope is already in place for the GO 4 app."

DJI's track record is not that great as far as looking out for us. GeoFencing is a joke. The unlock process even more so. So my thoughts on a Chinese firm telling me where and where not a certified pilot in the US can fly, well, are less than warm and fuzzy. You want remote identification? Go install ADS-B on your aircraft. There you have it; remote identification.

Your missing the point. RI will be thrust on UAV pilots like white on rice ...its only a matter of time. Therein lies the rub however, the FAA accelerator works great as long as someone shifts out of Neutral ...

Your missing the point. RI will be thrust on UAV pilots like white on rice ...its only a matter of time. Therein lies the rub however, the FAA accelerator works great as long as someone shifts out of Neutral ...
I guess we are going to have to wait and see what shakes out. I am not worried about it at the moment.

I personally think it will be a good thing in the long run. As stated it may relax some of the restrictions. What about all the drones already in service? I believe all they will be looking for at first is the FA number so if there is a problem or violation they will know who's door to knock on.
If they could incorporate ACAS transmitters in drones that would be a big step in keeping drones from running into other aircraft. The ASAS system is probably a ways out yet, but it is suppose to keep a 5 mile horizonal and 1000 foot vertical separation.
I think what most of us want is anything that is going to make our jobs safer for everyone, and put a stop to some of the lunacy that is going on.

I personally think it will be a good thing in the long run. As stated it may relax some of the restrictions. What about all the drones already in service? I believe all they will be looking for at first is the FA number so if there is a problem or violation they will know who's door to knock on.
If they could incorporate ACAS transmitters in drones that would be a big step in keeping drones from running into other aircraft. The ASAS system is probably a ways out yet, but it is suppose to keep a 5 mile horizonal and 1000 foot vertical separation.
I think what most of us want is anything that is going to make our jobs safer for everyone, and put a stop to some of the lunacy that is going on.
I doubt I'll be alive for it, but one day there will be a TCAS display in our UAS flight apps. The technology for this is well settled, but the miniaturization and politics of the thing will be a formidable delay. TCAS in the air, AIS on the water, and UCAS for the sUAS world.

I would also like to [design] see a sUAV flight test requirement for certification.

UPDATE: Sorry, for those who may not know TCAS = Traffic Collision Avoidance System - prevelent in most aviation cockpit/systems today.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boduku