Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Renewing Part 107 Remote Pilot?

Are you going renew your Part 107 pilot license when it expires?

• Yes

Votes: 26 96.3%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not sure

Votes: 1 3.7%

• Total voters

Koptervision

Reaction score
I am debating whether to review my Part 107 remote pilot certificate which expires in 2019. I have made very little money and I'm not sure its worth it. I'm curious what others plan to do.

It just depends if you intend to fly strictly as a hobbyist or not. If all of your flights fit within the Hobby Bubble then no need for Part 107. Although most likely sometime next year Hobby Regulations will fall into place as well.

Reactions: Koptervision
I am debating whether to review my Part 107 remote pilot certificate which expires in 2019. I have made very little money and I'm not sure its worth it. I'm curious what others plan to do.
2 reasons why you should renew:

1. It's an open book test that also gives you an opportunity to correct wrong answers before submitting.
2. It's free

1. It's an open book test that also gives you an opportunity to correct wrong answers before submitting.
2. It's free

2. It's free
It's FREE? I'm under the impression there is another $150 fee. Can someone verify. If it's free then why wouldn't you renew?

It is not free. $150 for the initial test. $150 for every 2 year renewal. Just took it in November.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Title of the OP is "Renewing Part 107 Remote Pilot". No? I sent my local FAA field office a copy of my renewal certificate to verify and talked to them on the phone. The gave it a green light. What am I missing?

It is not free. $150 for the initial test. $150 for every 2 year renewal. Just took it in November.
Thanks, I thought that was the case. Taking mine this summer. I've read that the retest is 40 questions down from 60 and weather, load and balance questions are eliminated. Likely focus on sectionals, communications, common sense, etc.?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Title of the OP is "Renewing Part 107 Remote Pilot". No? I sent my local FAA field office a copy of my renewal certificate to verify and talked to them on the phone. The gave it a green light. What am I missing?

Are you a current Part 61 (manned aircraft) pilot who went through FAASafety.gov for your certification? If so, yes, it is free. If not, no, it is not free and it is not an open book test.

I stand corrected. "For part 61 pilot certificate holders with a current flight review (in accordance with 14 CFR part 61.56), successful completion of this online course satisfies the recurrent training requirement to remain current as a part 107 remote pilot with a small UAS rating. All other interested individuals may complete this online course as a self-study resource. Individuals without a part 61 pilot certificate or current flight review (per 61.56) are required to take the recurrent FAA Unmanned Aircraft General (UGR) Knowledge Test at an FAA-approved Knowledge Testing Center to maintain currency of their part 107 certificate."

I stand corrected. "For part 61 pilot certificate holders with a current flight review (in accordance with 14 CFR part 61.56), successful completion of this online course satisfies the recurrent training requirement to remain current as a part 107 remote pilot with a small UAS rating. All other interested individuals may complete this online course as a self-study resource. Individuals without a part 61 pilot certificate or current flight review (per 61.56) are required to take the recurrent FAA Unmanned Aircraft General (UGR) Knowledge Test at an FAA-approved Knowledge Testing Center to maintain currency of their part 107 certificate."

A quick note, I’m current Part 61 and did the online test. The workflow after completion of that is to print out the certificate and take it down to a DPE (designated pilot examiner) These guys are independent and are not employed by the FAA. You can usually find them at larger flight schools and generally the chief pilot. They have to check your printed online certificate, your manned certificate, manned logbook showing the BFR sign off and ID. With him sitting next to me I logged into IACRA, clicked a few boxes and digitally signed a renewal form. He then digitally signed the same form, printed out the verification and we were done. The whole process took about 20 minutes. Because they are also a knowledge testing center, they usually charge $80 for a primary test, but he said because this was so quick and easy he would only charge me $20. He was such a nice guy, I gave him 40 shook his hand and was out the door.

I plan to renew mine. Some of the photos I take I submit to a couple stock photo sites and the really good ones to fineartamerica.com. You'll never get rich selling stock photos, but it gets me a cup of coffee every few months. ;)
Plus I'm on a rescue squad and need it to fly for that too.

Reactions: Koptervision
I plan on getting my 107 and I am working on it now. I have been a commercially rated pilot for 31 years,

Are any of you guys looking for any inspection work, I have found some. It would involve travel and my contact is looking for experienced mature and professional pilots who are team players. If so please contact me.

I plan on getting my 107 and I am working on it now. I have been a commercially rated pilot for 31 years,

Are any of you guys looking for any inspection work, I have found some. It would involve travel and my contact is looking for experienced mature and professional pilots who are team players. If so please contact me.

You've piqued my interest.

What city/state is this work centered around?

I am in Colorado and willing to travel. Where exactly is the work? Certified 107 Pilot since April 2017.

Do you have powerline inspection experience? If so we should talk. Immediate needs!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boduku