Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Retrofit IR System Experience??

RWD

Reaction score
Anyone with any experience with this aftermarket IR system that is apparently compatible with Mavics:

VuIR Boson - Turnkey Thermal Vision System for DJI Mavic 2/Mavic 1/Mavic Air, SKU: VB0011
complete mounting system with:
  • ONE adapter to be attached to the top of the Mavic 2, Mavic 1 or Mavic Air
  • Onboard DVR for recording
  • Onboard Video transmitter (5.8ghz)
  • Boson camera mount with Adjustable tilt angle
  • 1 Micro SD card for recording (8GB)
  • Special VPC module
  • 1 VuIR Battery for operation
  • 1 VuIR Battery Charger
  • USB cable for Boson
  • Ground Thermal Monitor (Black Pearl Monitor)
  • 5 Extra VuIR batteries
  • FLIR Boson 320 Camera with 13.8 mm Lens
Cost @ $2,499.00

I saw that system and also looked into the Drone Nerds thermal upgrades with the Boson.

I also would love to hear about anyone using SUAS's system. The biggest thing I do not like is that the Boson currently does not have a Radiometric version available. Hopefully soon.

Not to go too far off the thread but I have been told by our drone vendor at work that Autel is going to release an Evo with the Boson soon. I personally am not gonna hold my breath as I read all about the XStar thermal miss.

I had one of these for my Inspire 1. It was good for when I was learning Thermal, but not feasible for Commercial use. Batteries are the biggest challenge. One on the gimbal to power the camera, one in the Flysight screen, drone battery, and controller battery. all needing to be swapped out at different times. Also, having two screens to have to handle was cumbersome. The unit I had seemed to frequently have signal issues when further than a couple hundred feet out. I was limited to either video or photo mode. You had to land, connect a Bluetooth device and switch modes before going back into the air.

To be fair, I did not test this specific model, but just pointing out the challenges I had with the one I used. My guess is battery and limitation on Boson controls during flight would be similar. In my opinion, the best entry level solution is an XT v2 336 x 256 13mm 30htz, (performance) currently $4900 and in inspire 1 V2, is the best choice.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boduku