Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Rookie looking for advice

Dudeinthedesert

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Hope all is well and thank you for taking the time to read this! So as the title might give away, I just passed the 107 and I am looking to get into the field. There are a ton of options and paths and I am finding it a little overwhelming and was looking to get advice/guidance. I was looking at real estate/mapping as a start and wondering if that's a good place to start? Can anyone suggest the best way to get my foot in the door? Maybe there are other options I should look into first?

Suggestions on drones would also be appreciated! I was thinking something along the lines of the Air 2S, but maybe there is a better option that can cover more job types?

Appreciate it! :D

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff member
DSAR Member
Reaction score
WELCOME to the forum :)

First off, CONGRATS on your Part 107. You now have a License to Learn!!

Are you a photographer yet? If not, you absolutely need to become a PHOTOGRAPHER to become a successful Real Estate Photographer (REP).

Have you created a comprehensive Business Plan yet? If not STOP and start doing that yesterday because it can save you a LOT of $$ and help get your venture off on the right phoot (See what I did there LOL).

R.Perry

Reaction score
Congrats on getting your 107. There are many different avenues in this business. I would suggest reading the different forums on here. Remember everything on the internet is true, "RIGHT". However there are some very knowledgeable people on this forum, I have learned a great deal from many of them.
When you do decide on a drone, learn everything you can about it, learn to fly it well and it's flight characteristics. Look into software like Drone Deploy, and Litchi and what they are capable of doing.
As BigA said, learn photography there is a lot to it.
Don't ever get so focused on photography that you forget to fly the drone.
Best of luck to you.

JimD

Reaction score
My advice would be avoid real estate photography the market is flooded and it doesn’t usually pay very well.
There’s a ton of other options construction progress, precision mapping, thermography.
As has been mentioned get a business plan up and running and make sure that you verify there is an ROI on what you decide to do.

Reactions: RGB and rx7ward

rx7ward

Reaction score
I am also in your exact situation, and I'm asking the same questions. I am following this to get the same advice!

Skycam509

Reaction score
You won't go wrong with the Air 2s. I think it's the best all-around drone for the price. Get the Fly More combo. I even sold my Mavic 2 Pro a while after getting my Air 2s.

JimD

Reaction score
You won't go wrong with the Air 2s. I think it's the best all-around drone for the price. Get the Fly More combo. I even sold my Mavic 2 Pro a while after getting my Air 2s.
Although I’m sticking with my Mavic two pro I agree the air2 s as well.
I’m sticking with The Mavic two mainly because I live in Florida and we have a lot of wind and that drone is bulletproof in the wind. I also don’t care for the fly app I like having manual control of my camera.
I actually just bought another one used and got a super deal.

Due to the fact no SDK for the M3 it’s a brick to me. You should never buy a DJI drone until it’s been out for at least a year. That’s basically their beta Test time

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff member
DSAR Member
Reaction score
I’m sticking with The Mavic two mainly because I live in Florida and we have a lot of wind and that drone is bulletproof in the wind. I also don’t care for the fly app I like having manual control of my camera.

Due to the fact no SDK for the M3 it’s a brick to me. You should never buy a DJI drone until it’s been out for at least a year. That’s basically their beta Test time

I also can't stand the DJI Fly app.... huge step BACKWARDS by DJI IMHO.

I'm flying a pair of M2P and wouldn't upgrade to the M3 right now (or Air2S) if DJI paid me to.

My average invoices for doing Real Estate with an M2P (keep in mind we are a Full Service Photography Service Provider) right stand around $600 and some days we can do 4-5 different shoots. We are only working 5 days a week usually.

Reactions: JimD

JimD

Reaction score
I also can't stand the DJI Fly app.... huge step BACKWARDS by DJI IMHO.

I'm flying a pair of M2P and wouldn't upgrade to the M3 right now (or Air2S) if DJI paid me to.

My average invoices for doing Real Estate with an M2P (keep in mind we are a Full Service Photography Service Provider) right stand around $600 and some days we can do 4-5 different shoots. We are only working 5 days a week usually.
Yeah if you start a real estate photography business that’s one thing but in all honesty how much would you just pay a drone pilot for a shoot.

Having the photography skills and videographer skills is the important thing not so much flying the drone.

Right now in this local market when you can sell a house in a week (day?) with iPhone pictures it’s hard to charge too much. In fact most real estate agents just do it themselves. You really don’t need high-end photography to get someone to come look at the house.
Having said that there are high end elite services but it’s hard breaking into there.

Skycam509

Reaction score

I liked my M2P a lot, and didn't make this decision lightly. I fly in a lot of wind at times, as well. Occasionally, I would get a message that obstacle avoidance was disabled because the sensors couldn't see far enough forward due to the amount of pitch required to counteract the wind. The Air 2s doesn't have this problem due to the extra upward-facing sensors on the front. Having shot windsurfers in the Columbia River gorge with both drones, I would argue that they are both beasts in heavy winds.

Initially, I didn't want to give up the adjustable aperture, but was noticing that anything 5.6 or higher didn't look as good as the shots with the wider aperture, so I didn't tend to use it that much, anyway. I also noticed that the Air 2s has less choppiness in the video when panning a little too fast, both when following the 180° rule, and not. This is probably due to the faster write speed, I guess.

Another thing the Air 2s does, that I can't explain, is create some motion blur even when not following the 180° rule. I know it's subjective, but I like the look of the video from the Air 2s better all the way around.

I totally agree with you about the camera controls, but I have gotten used to using them on the screen now. It was far more convenient on the controller, though. The thing I miss the most is the side obstacle sensors. I've never had an incident (knock on wood) but it was comforting knowing they were there when shooting in tight quarters.

All in all, they're both great drones. I just couldn't justify keeping both since I was never flying the M2P anymore.

Good luck in your ventures!

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff member
DSAR Member
Reaction score
Yeah if you start a real estate photography business that’s one thing but in all honesty how much would you just pay a drone pilot for a shoot.

Having the photography skills and videographer skills is the important thing not so much flying the drone.

Right now in this local market when you can sell a house in a week (day?) with iPhone pictures it’s hard to charge too much. In fact most real estate agents just do it themselves. You really don’t need high-end photography to get someone to come look at the house.
Having said that there are high end elite services but it’s hard breaking into there.

I wouldn't and in most areas REA don't want to fool with a Drone Only vendor. They much prefer to make one phone-call or one online scheduling form and get Drone, Interior Pics, Ground Pics, Drone Video, Floor Plan, and Virtual Tours all wrapped up in a nice neat Property Website created just for them.

Even though "some" REA get away will cell-phone only pics there is a very real need for high quality photo/video and many of your top performing REA would rather high that service out so they can concentrate on doing what they do great, "SELLING".

Also it's important to keep in mind that when (and it's going to) the Real Estate Market becomes more moderate and reasonable that's when Photographic Skills will come into play and you can bet the high end providers will be reaping the rewards. In fact, guess what was once of the busiest times for Real Estate Photographers? After the economic collapse of 2008.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AirmetTango