Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Running Mission with Controller plugged into AC Charger

TreeLineView

DSAR Member
Reaction score
I have several large jobs upcoming. Single site visit will require 8 to 10 missions. Is there any technical reason I can have the controller plugged into an AC power battery source while I am actively flying a mission?

Wish I had a Cendance right now......Classifieds.......

I have several large jobs upcoming. Single site visit will require 8 to 10 missions. Is there any technical reason I can have the controller plugged into an AC power battery source while I am actively flying a mission?

Wish I had a Cendance right now......Classifieds.......

I run all my missions with the laptop/controller connected to a portable generator. I don't run the controller off battery power. The battery is a back-up in case the generator fails. You should not have any issues.

You may have an issue depending on the charger.

AC powered, switching power supplies frequently radiant RF energy and may have other frequencies on the wire providing power to the controller, both of which can be sources of RF noise that may interfere with the radio link between your controller and drone.

Another consideration is the charge rate used by the controller to recharge its internal batteries may be lower than the discharge rate while operating, so you may be depleting the controller’s batteries even while charging.

In a critical application, a wise person would check how reliable the charger is in these respects, but I assume that you are not Space X, NASA, so you may have to take a chance without knowing.

In any case, in my opinion, a “large capacity” LiPo battery pack or packs designed to provide 5VDC for charging electronic devices, like your controller, would be a safer solution.

You should check that whatever equipment you choose works before relying on it for an important project.

Reactions: Avocet

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlisonChar