Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Safety Code for UAS Pilots

Dave Pitman

Reaction score
The Aviators Code Initiative and the University Aviation Association have collaborated to produce the Unmanned Aircraft Systems Pilots Code, a set of practices and principles to help pilots confront real-world challenges.

Good stuff, guys. Have a look.

http://www.secureav.com/UAS-Listings-Page.html

DEAR UAS PILOT: THIS LETTER INTRODUCES VERSION 1.0 OF THE UAS PILOTS CODE (UASPC). DEVELOPED BY A TEAM OF AVIATION AND UAS PROFESSIONALS, THE UASPC RECOMMENDS OPERATING PRACTICES TO ENHANCE THE QUALITY AND SAFETY OF YOUR OPERATIONS. THE UASPC APPLIES TO A RANGE OF OPERATING ENVIRONMENTS AND EXPERIENCE LEVELS, FROM THE UAS NOVICE TO EXPERIENCED UAS PILOTS. PILOT CONDUCT AND PROFESSIONALISM AFFECT THE ENTIRE AVIATION COMMUNITY, INCLUDING ITS SAFETY CULTURE. CORRESPONDINGLY, ORGANIZATIONAL SAFETY CULTURE AFFECTS PILOT CONDUCT. A VOLUNTARY, ASPIRATIONAL CODE OF CONDUCT PROMOTES PILOT PROFICIENCY AND OPERATIONAL SAFETY. THE UASPC IS JUST SUCH A TOOL: A SET OF GUIDELINES, AND RECOMMENDED PRACTICES ADAPTABLE TO EACH PILOT AND ORGANIZATIONAL NEED. THE UASPC REFLECTS YEARS OF SAFETY PRACTICES AND LESSONS LEARNED IN MANNED AND UNMANNED AVIATION THAT ARE APPLICABLE TO UAS OPERATIONS. WE ENCOURAGE YOU TO ADOPT IT, AND TO COMMIT TO THE HIGHEST PRINCIPLES OF AVIATION SAFETY. THE UASPC WAS DEVELOPED AS A VOLUNTEER EFFORT AND IS PROVIDED AS A FREE PUBLIC SERVICE.

Reactions: Darren Gahan
As a part 61 pilot, I'm sure you have seen noise abatement notices at airports. They usually consist of 'requests' to avoid certain areas around the airport in order for the airport to be a 'good neighbor'. I would expect the 'neighbors' don't like boom boxes or semi-trucks using jake brakes either.

I think the point of the whole thing to to be SAFE, PROFESSIONAL, and a GOOD NEIGHBOR to the best of our abilities as the situation allows. Wouldn't you agree?

As a part 61 pilot, I'm sure you have seen noise abatement notices at airports. They usually consist of 'requests' to avoid certain areas around the airport in order for the airport to be a 'good neighbor'. I would expect the 'neighbors' don't like boom boxes or semi-trucks using jake brakes either.

I think the point of the whole thing to to be SAFE, PROFESSIONAL, and a GOOD NEIGHBOR to the best of our abilities as the situation allows. Wouldn't you agree?
Agreed,

Section V:...... comply with applicable noise-abatement procedures.:confused: What about boom boxes, super extra ridiculous annoying car stereos?
How is it drones are louder than semi trucks. :rolleyes:
Interesting - in a recent AUVSI conference call for the FL chapter, someone brought up a community trying to use the noise a drone makes to categorize it as a "nuisance" to get a drone ban put in effect for the neighborhood. When compared to lawn mowers and trimmers / edgers with gas engines I don't see how that would work. I understand this is not the point of the link above and being a good neighbor, but thought it was worth sharing.

Reactions: AH-1G
Interesting - in a recent AUVSI conference call for the FL chapter, someone brought up a community trying to use the noise a drone makes to categorize it as a "nuisance" to get a drone ban put in effect for the neighborhood. When compared to lawn mowers and trimmers / edgers with gas engines I don't see how that would work. I understand this is not the point of the link above and being a good neighbor, but thought it was worth sharing.

Our AMA flying club was sued several years ago for this same thing. Someone moved into the area of our flying club (it was a cow pasture in the middle of no where USA). They bought adjacent land and built a house on it. The next year the lady of the house had to quit work and seek therapy for the Pain and Anguish our R/C planes and helicopters caused her. Granted we only flew 90% of the time on Saturday and Sunday only after 1pm.

Our Flight Line was approximately 400 YARDS from her property line and we flew on the opposite side of the flight line (our backs facing her residence). Anyway the AMA sent an attorney down to us and he spent a few weeks taking sound measurements around the area and taking LOTS of notes and pictures. When it went to court it was determined that the small school house across from her was louder than our flying club was and the whole case was dismissed with an actual chuckle by the judge.. By the time the case was dismissed the lady was pretending like she was going to faint from the stress and disbelief that things didn't go her way. Last I heard she still lives there but it's now a huge SOLAR FARM instead of a flying field.

Even though we won the case we realized how easy it was for an empty complaint to cost lots of money and trouble. This was LONG before electric motors and I admit that the small minimally muffled engines were annoying especially at close range. But we were in the middle of a COW pasture LOL.

Reactions: skyeboysteve
Our AMA flying club was sued several years ago for this same thing. Someone moved into the area of our flying club (it was a cow pasture in the middle of no where USA). They bought adjacent land and built a house on it. The next year the lady of the house had to quit work and seek therapy for the Pain and Anguish our R/C planes and helicopters caused her. Granted we only flew 90% of the time on Saturday and Sunday only after 1pm.

Our Flight Line was approximately 400 YARDS from her property line and we flew on the opposite side of the flight line (our backs facing her residence). Anyway the AMA sent an attorney down to us and he spent a few weeks taking sound measurements around the area and taking LOTS of notes and pictures. When it went to court it was determined that the small school house across from her was louder than our flying club was and the whole case was dismissed with an actual chuckle by the judge.. By the time the case was dismissed the lady was pretending like she was going to faint from the stress and disbelief that things didn't go her way. Last I heard she still lives there but it's now a huge SOLAR FARM instead of a flying field.

Even though we won the case we realized how easy it was for an empty complaint to cost lots of money and trouble. This was LONG before electric motors and I admit that the small minimally muffled engines were annoying especially at close range. But we were in the middle of a COW pasture LOL.

This is really sad, the legal system is really messed up! Situations such as this should never waste the Courts time. I am at a loss for words!!!!

This is really sad, the legal system is really messed up! Situations such as this should never waste the Courts time. I am at a loss for words!!!!

Honestly, when it first came to light we thought it was a joke (we had some pretty hard core Jokesters in the club) but we soon realized it was the real deal. Fortunately it turned out "as it should" and we had the AMA to thank for sending "Legal" to the mountains to help us out.

I work at the large construction site that employs several hundred people. Construction sites are interesting places, with a multitude of potential hazards. I was walking between two buildings and was doing progression photoshoots with the drone, I was watching the drone, and my I pad. You got it I wasn't watching where I was walking, who did I run into, one of the job site safety people. After a long discussion I realized that my situational awareness was really lacking that day. It brought about a new, and wise rule. I must land before I change locations, yes it is time consuming but he was right, and I learned a lesson. There is an old saying "there are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots". I truly believe if we don't attempt to focus on safety at some point we will pay a price for not doing so.

Reactions: BigAl07
Totally agree with your last sentence. Sadly, I think others are compromising safety for us, and the6 we cannot stop or change as they are out for the thrill.

I work at the large construction site that employs several hundred people. Construction sites are interesting places, with a multitude of potential hazards. I was walking between two buildings and was doing progression photoshoots with the drone, I was watching the drone, and my I pad. You got it I wasn't watching where I was walking, who did I run into, one of the job site safety people. After a long discussion I realized that my situational awareness was really lacking that day. It brought about a new, and wise rule. I must land before I change locations, yes it is time consuming but he was right, and I learned a lesson. There is an old saying "there are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots". I truly believe if we don't attempt to focus on safety at some point we will pay a price for not doing so.[/

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StewR