Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Second Hand Phantom 4 Pro?? Or New??

DroneSourcer

Reaction score
Hi All,

New round here, and looking to do a drone start-up in the near future. Am practicing with a low-cost non-gps drone for now. Almost pulled the trigger on a Skydio2, but several pro reviews left me doubtful, yet again.

So, located a Phantom 4 Pro with just over 3 hours on it, it was new last year but remained as a back-up drone for the owner. Comes with polar pro filters, three batteries, 3 sets spare props, and a case club for to pack it all in.....$1200.

Thoughts??

Thanks Big!

I'm a staunch supporter of the mantra, " Don't fly with, or at, at location you aren't willing to lose your drone." If you are just starting out, I would suggest starting with a P3P. It's still a viable drone for commercial purposes, has a good aftermarket following and you can get one for 500-800 bucks. If you build a good base and need to extra oomph, it's sell-able and you can jump to the P4P.

2 cents from another amateur!

Reactions: LUIS MARTINEZ
I'm a staunch supporter of the mantra, " Don't fly with, or at, at location you aren't willing to lose your drone." If you are just starting out, I would suggest starting with a P3P. It's still a viable drone for commercial purposes, has a good aftermarket following and you can get one for 500-800 bucks. If you build a good base and need to extra oomph, it's sell-able and you can jump to the P4P.

Thank you! I have also seen several P3P's at slightly lower costs, but perhaps more used than I would like. That said, I will expand my search for those as well.....at the very least for an easing into the idea for jump-starting an LLC. Seems DJI has the market, but where to buy in that??

Best All!

If it’s a complete kit....bird, multiple batteries, controller, screen.....turnkey.....that’s not a bad price for a ready to go P4P kit.....the good thing about a P4P is it’s really as close to a “Jack of All Trades” drone as you’ll get. It can do photo, video, mapping, Modeling, measuring, hobby and fun.....really anything that’s gonna come your way initially.

Later, buy what you need that better fits the purpose you’re finding you do the most. The P4P will retain decent value for a little while longer.

Ok, but this is a P4P...which is why I am somewhat interested, but doubtful on previously owned gear. Thank you!
The P4 pro is a solid and very reliable workhorse.
If photography is important, it's camera is 10 times better than anything on earlier Phantoms.
I have worked one hard since they were released 3.5 yrs ago and it runs as well as it did on day one.
I have another as backup and it's only been flown twice in 3.5 yrs.

One with only three hours on it sounds like a no-brainer if the price is good.

Hi All,

New round here, and looking to do a drone start-up in the near future. Am practicing with a low-cost non-gps drone for now. Almost pulled the trigger on a Skydio2, but several pro reviews left me doubtful, yet again.

So, located a Phantom 4 Pro with just over 3 hours on it, it was new last year but remained as a back-up drone for the owner. Comes with polar pro filters, three batteries, 3 sets spare props, and a case club for to pack it all in.....$1200.

Thoughts??

Thanks Big!
We have flown two P3P's hard on mapping missions since the day they were released. It's specs still hold up to this day. We've only had to replace the batteries a few times but other than that the Phantom has always been rock solid. That $1200 for the P4P is a great deal.

SEAN FALCONER
Co-Founder | Empire Drone Company LLC

office: (315)-743-4285 ext. 101
direct: (315)-592-2271
www.empiredroneco.com
14 Canalview Mall, Fulton, NY 13069
Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

If it’s a complete kit....bird, multiple batteries, controller, screen.....turnkey.....that’s not a bad price for a ready to go P4P kit.....the good thing about a P4P is it’s really as close to a “Jack of All Trades” drone as you’ll get. It can do photo, video, mapping, Modeling, measuring, hobby and fun.....really anything that’s gonna come your way initially.

Later, buy what you need that better fits the purpose you’re finding you do the most. The P4P will retain decent value for a little while longer.

Hi,

It is complete with everything. Reached out today, and learned it was a warranty replacement from DJI last year. He will not ship it, so that means a 5 hour r/t to buy the darn thing. Am still interested....but not committed quite yet. Thank for your reply, much appreciated!

We have flown two P3P's hard on mapping missions since the day they were released. It's specs still hold up to this day. We've only had to replace the batteries a few times but other than that the Phantom has always been rock solid. That $1200 for the P4P is a great deal.

SEAN FALCONER
Co-Founder | Empire Drone Company LLC

office: (315)-743-4285 ext. 101
direct: (315)-592-2271
www.empiredroneco.com
14 Canalview Mall, Fulton, NY 13069
Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Thanks Sean,

Agreed, they def have the market with a dedicated following and solid product. Note my reply in post #9 to Fred. The only other issue is the batteries have been maintained on float (topped off) apparently 24/7, not a deal killer, but not the best means for maintaining batts, so no real idea as to their life expectancy. Decisions, decisions.....

Hah! Effectively what I just told my wife, why fly an expensive rig to start with, 'cuz a cheaper unit costs less to lose :cool: I'll take a look at the P3P's as well, certainly would be nicer to ease in under a grand. Especially as I still have much to do else wise, like my 107, insurance, LLC ...pretty much much everything!...But....I do have my business plan drafted!

Reactions: JDS
Hi,

It is complete with everything. Reached out today, and learned it was a warranty replacement from DJI last year. He will not ship it, so that means a 5 hour r/t to buy the darn thing. Am still interested....but not committed quite yet. Thank for your reply, much appreciated!

I’d be up for a 5 hour R/T ‘cause I’m going stir crazy.....doing the deal in person is always preferred and removes the scam possibility. You verify the kit, see it and probably fly it, hand over the cash, leave with your new prize. Save some battery power for the return trip in case you're passing by anything interesting!

Reactions: dronecyclops
I’d be up for a 5 hour R/T ‘cause I’m going stir crazy.....doing the deal in person is always preferred and removes the scam possibility. You verify the kit, see it and probably fly it, hand over the cash, leave with your new prize. Save some battery power for the return trip in case you're passing by anything interesting!

I hear ya...me too, but am wrapping up college finals next two weeks, and am awfully tuckered...and agreed was initially concerned the deal was a scam...too many of those anymore on CL. But the seller seems legit and is working to make the sell.....leaning more towards this option than a "new" device...but weighing my options. Just wanted as much input as possible from this "active" forum, more so on if the price was reasonable. It is, so long as the whole kit works....now for the drive!!

I've had good luck on Facebook marketplace and Craigslist for Drones. I just picked up an P3P with 3 batteries, pelican case, and accessories for 150$. It's not the norm, but there are deals to be had.

Reactions: Mavic Mac
I've had good luck on Facebook marketplace and Craigslist for Drones. I just picked up an P3P with 3 batteries, pelican case, and accessories for 150$. It's not the norm, but there are deals to be had.

Yup, almost seems like motorcycles, plenty good second-hand options with a little patience...and some good internet skills. Beats paying full price for something that might become a dust collector.....against my focused efforts. Thank you!

Thank you! I have also seen several P3P's at slightly lower costs, but perhaps more used than I would like. That said, I will expand my search for those as well.....at the very least for an easing into the idea for jump-starting an LLC. Seems DJI has the market, but where to buy in that??

Best All!
If you can hold out for a P4 the benefits outweigh the price!…

Hi All,

Thoughts??

Thanks Big!

Sorry for jumping in late but we only purchase new. Some people maintain their equipment really well and others don't spend a penny on them after they purchase the aircraft. You never know what you are going to get when you buy used, and from a business perspective (for us) I'm not taking any chances.

A P3P will certainly work, and is fine for learning, but it's old tech in a tech driven world. The P4 camera is equivalent to the P3P camera, and the P4 has better sensors. If you are planning to run a drone business the P4P is the gold standard at the moment, the camera has a 1" sensor. The three drones supported by some drone mission companies I work with (Loveland Imging, DroneBase, Hangar/Autopilot) for automated missions are the P4P, P4P V2, and the Mavic 2 Pro. Another factor is batteries have a limited life, number of charges, the way they are used, etc. Old batteries may develop problems or fail.

We have over 20 Phantoms in our inventory, and another 20 DJI units... including P4Ps, P4Ss, P3Ps, P3As, etc. Let me know your end use priorities and startup budget... will make recommendation and let you know if we are willing to part with any. Most of our work involves either M210s or M2Ps. Many overspend in the beginning without knowing their primary use cases. I started with what i 'needed' and upgraded as we made the money to pay for the new units.

Reactions: JDS and Mavic Mac

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roy thellmann