Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Should i go for it?? (PART 107 DRONE TRAINING)

BigDog88

Reaction score
Hey,
I live in Philadelphia area in PA and am currently been working Security for about 1.5 years now. I have an Associates degree and am also currently working on a Bachelors in Poli sci with a minor in Criminal Justice.

I seen an ad from my community college for "Drone Pilot Training." Its a $1200 2 day course. I currently make $13 an hour at my job and have no experience whatsoever in Drone piloting.

Would it be worth it to get involved in this field or would i be wasting my time? Do i need my own drone for a commercial job?

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the CommercialDronePilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in the commercial drone field.
Enjoy!

Reactions: rfaaj
First of all I would highly recommend purchasing a drone. One recommendation would be the phantom 3, or the phantom 3 advanced, but there are others that won't break the bank.

As for the classes, that is way too expensive. I firmly believe in education but sometimes a person can learn on their own. The 107 certification at this point is fairly easy. You can get all the information as well as practice tests from the FAA.

It will cost you $150.00 to take the test. If you do feel you need guidance and training then there are people on this forum that can steer you in the right direction.

If you are going into law enforcement having that 107 cert may put you one step ahead of other applicants. Luis on this forum is a police officer or retired one and can probably share some insights with you.

Best of luck on your education and future.

Reactions: BigAl07
Hello and welcome to the Commercial Drone Pilots forum. We are glad to have you on board. I'm confident you'll find lots of helpful and enlightening information throughout this forum.

As stated above, Gold Seal is money well spent and it's for a lifetime not just the here & now.

Yes you will most definitely need to own all of your equipment if you're going to be taken as a professional sUAS operator. Before you go to spending too much of your hard earned $$ do lots of research on not only what you can make as a professional sUAS operator but also what it costs to be in business. There are lots of "subtle" fees and such that really add up in a hurry.

If you haven't already done so, consider adding your LOCATION to your forum profile to help us know where you are when you post suggestions or ask for assistance. It helps a lot more than you might think especially because this is an international forum with members from all parts of the world. Here's a direct link to yours:

https://commercialdronepilots.com/account/personal-details

Allen

Hey,
I live in Philadelphia area in PA and am currently been working Security for about 1.5 years now. I have an Associates degree and am also currently working on a Bachelors in Poli sci with a minor in Criminal Justice.

I seen an ad from my community college for "Drone Pilot Training." Its a $1200 2 day course. I currently make $13 an hour at my job and have no experience whatsoever in Drone piloting.

Would it be worth it to get involved in this field or would i be wasting my time? Do i need my own drone for a commercial job?

wow $1200 and i thought the University here in Springfield,MO charging $800 was way out of line.

Reactions: Elton Hammonds
I can say from my experience gold seal was and is well worth the money. It is a lifetime subsciption and after passing my exam in Jan 2018, I still go back to review lessons.

Community colleges only swindle people that have hit hard times. Stay away.

This industry is still being born and there's nothing they could teach you there that you couldn't learn in one of the online classes like others mentioned here.

I hope your situation improves ASAP.

Community colleges only swindle people that have hit hard times. Stay away.

Exactly what have you personally seen to come up with this wide sweeping evaluation of all Community Colleges? I teach for several Community Colleges and work with them in various capacities in sUAS programs. Also I worked with our local Community College and they helped me create one of my businesses (from the ground up) for absolutely FREE! I'll be the first to admit I find your comment a bit broad reaching and completely inaccurate in my many years working with various CC in the southeast.

Reactions: PhantomFandom
One thing I learned a long time ago, sometimes that sheep skin gets you jobs that you wouldn't have got otherwise. I think the JR colleges to a fine job in the most part, not only that many times they become the key to helping a student prepare for a university level education.

It is amazing that the airlines for many years only wanted people that had a four year college degree. They may have been terrible pilots, but they had the sheep skin.

The job I have now, I got because I have both a commercial pilots and drone license. The pilots license in no way qualifies me as a drone pilot, but it impresses some people.

Hi BigDog88 yes you need to buy your own drone & $1200.00 is WAY to expensive check out Gold Seal theirs is under $200.00 & guarantee you pass or money back they are the best in my book

I used Gold Seal and studied maybe 2 to 3 hrs a day for a week and passed with a 97% I was pretty shocked actually. Their questions are right on for what you're gonna see on the real test. I waited to go take the real test, until I got a 98 on the Gold Seal Final test

Reactions: Russ Still
Welcome, BigDog. Here is a free sample test provided by Gold Seal. You can give it a try to see what type of questions appear on the FAA exam. Remember though - this is just a 30-question sample. Gold Seal has over 400 questions in the full database.

Gold Seal – Pass Your Drone Test or We’ll Pay For It

I also invite you to join the Gold Seal Facebook group:
Gold Seal Part 107 Pilots

I passed with a 97% after studying Gold Seal for a week. I put in about 3 hrs a day

Hey,

Hello from Villanova,

I took an online course from Udemy which was very comprehensive. Passed my 107 exam with a 95% score.

UAS (Drone) Remote Pilot Test Prep for Part 107 Exam

I would highly recommend it.

hmmm...i've encountered an online package for "drone pilot training certificate"...for $3500.

i'm assuming this is more than mere 107 preparation?

hmmm...i've encountered an online package for "drone pilot training certificate"...for $3500.

i'm assuming this is more than mere 107 preparation?
For that kinda money should include a drone.....lol....look into Gold Seal training, they guarantee you will pass exam or pay your test fee. I love thier courses, and it is for a lifetime, not just this 1 test.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM